Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Check out the New Hyundai Continental GT

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-06, 04:01 PM
White98ARISTO
Goldmember

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Check out the New Hyundai Continental GT

WHY?????

Old 05-27-06, 04:26 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Don't laugh. Hyundais get better and better all the time. I'm about to review another new one shortly.

Mods: Should this thread should be moved to CAR CHAT ?
Old 05-27-06, 06:54 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Usually people place an upgraded badge on their car. This is one for the books.

Actually, todays Hyundai's will probably spend less time in a shop ironically.
...and they come with a much longer warrenty. lol
Old 05-27-06, 06:58 PM
sonyman
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My guess is that he did that as a theft deterrent and to avoid unwanted attention.

Scott
Old 05-27-06, 07:04 PM
BigVIPness
The Green Grundel

Maybe he did it to make a statement.
Old 05-27-06, 07:59 PM
Lexwang07

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It looks weird! Badging Hyundai logo on the back! I never like Continental GT just looks yikes.
What so ever! Just plain ugly.
Old 05-27-06, 08:36 PM
White98ARISTO
Goldmember

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

He had a Bel Aire of Hyundai license plate frame. I sure hope he owns the dealership.
Old 05-27-06, 09:56 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by White98ARISTO
He had a Bel Aire of Hyundai license plate frame. I sure hope he owns the dealership.
Let's hope so. People may see it and flock to Hyundai looking for a coupe and actually consider buying the Tiburon...
Old 05-27-06, 11:59 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

WOW!! Isnt it suppose to be the other way around?? And why does he have a "chrome" badge on the trunk as well??

I hope he lost a bet or his friends played a joke on this owner. Horrible.

Last edited by magneto112; 05-28-06 at 09:07 AM.
Old 05-28-06, 12:05 AM
mjr24
Lexus Test Driver

That has to be a joke, there is no good reason why one would do that. People buy GT's for attention.....why rebadge it just to not get the attention?

Don't laugh. Hyundais get better and better all the time. I'm about to review another new one shortly.
Comparing a Hyundai to a Bentley is like comparing an ES250 to a brand new SC430 or LS600 regardless of how well they are now made. Those cars should not be in the same sentence. Hell, BMW, Lexus or Benz should not be in the same sentence as Bentley or Rolls.
Old 05-28-06, 01:00 AM
BigVIPness
The Green Grundel

Originally Posted by mjr24
That has to be a joke, there is no good reason why one would do that. People buy GT's for attention.....why rebadge it just to not get the attention?
People buy GT's for reasons other then "to get attention." That may be the reason that you would buy one, but there are other reasons for ownership. Judging by the plate, i'm guessing he is making a statement with the fact that he owns a hyundai (generally accepted as a cheap korean brand) dealership and that's what made him his small fortune to which he spent some of on a Bentley (a expensive, high end, prestigious luxury sedan.)
Old 05-28-06, 02:55 AM
mjr24
Lexus Test Driver

People buy GT's for reasons other then "to get attention." That may be the reason that you would buy one, but there are other reasons for ownership.
Really? Please enlighten me as to why someone would buy a GT rather than for the attention or because it is the hot millionaire car? It's not the fastest coupe.....it's not the biggest.......gas mileage is not good.....it's not the safest......it doesn't have options other cars do not (it does not even have a sunroof)...it's not a car easy to fix or cheap to fix if something goes wrong. Yet, to get one, you still have to drop $180k. I love the GT.....do not get me wrong, but again, please let me know why someone would buy that car other than the reasons I listed? This is not a car someone goes to a dealership and normally considers when being open minded for a car, versus comparing...say.....a Mustang versus a GTO (normal cars).
Old 05-28-06, 07:00 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall

Mods: Should this thread should be moved to CAR CHAT ?
why put Hyundai badge on Bently? LOL.

Hyundai's are getting better, but their cars are still at the bottom of automotive ladder....
Old 05-28-06, 09:03 AM
videcormeum
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by spwolf
why put Hyundai badge on Bently? LOL.

Hyundai's are getting better, but their cars are still at the bottom of automotive ladder....
At one point you could make that over-reaching statement about Hyundai and be nearly correct.

And while Hyundai, the brand, is still developing I challenge you to find better cars for the money.

In the near-lux segment there's no better vehicle available for less than $30,000 than the new Hyundai Azera. Hyundai leads in the family-sedan segment too providing one of the best values on the market w/ the Hyundai Sonata (esp. in LX trim). With what other vehicle can you get good build quality, decent V6 power, 10 year powertrain warranty, and high reliability all for less than $23,000 (w/ rebates)?

I can't think of anything. Personally, I'd buy a new Sonata long before I paid out for either the Camry or Accord - they're just not worth paying extra for.

M.
Old 05-28-06, 11:18 AM
BigVIPness
The Green Grundel

Originally Posted by mjr24
Really? Please enlighten me as to why someone would buy a GT rather than for the attention or because it is the hot millionaire car? It's not the fastest coupe.....it's not the biggest.......gas mileage is not good.....it's not the safest......it doesn't have options other cars do not (it does not even have a sunroof)...it's not a car easy to fix or cheap to fix if something goes wrong. Yet, to get one, you still have to drop $180k. I love the GT.....do not get me wrong, but again, please let me know why someone would buy that car other than the reasons I listed? This is not a car someone goes to a dealership and normally considers when being open minded for a car, versus comparing...say.....a Mustang versus a GTO (normal cars).

Because not all the people who buy the car are rich 20 somethings. Half of the people I see driving GT's around are at least 65-70 and probably bought the car because it is a beautiful coupe with quite a bit of power behind it. As for not being the biggest or fastest... its pretty big, and pretty fast, .2 seconds faster in the quarter then a ferrari 360 and bigger then the current CL's, and its pretty reliable. Think of it as a VW Phaeton with twin-turbos. I'd go into depth more but if you honestly think that the only people that buy them are 20-somethings looking for attention then any elaboration I attempt will simply be dismissed on the grounds of confusion.

Quick Reply: Check out the New Hyundai Continental GT