Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Mini Man if you need a Minivan?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-06, 09:52 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmm - I was just checking the Volvo website and XC90 and it seems this maybe another viable option with the 3rd row seating, spacious for a mid-size SUV and family friendly. Anyone own a Volvo XC90 and have any comments?
Old 05-30-06, 10:03 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Here is a recent discussion involving the XC90:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=197895
Old 05-30-06, 10:41 PM
foofighter
Lexus Test Driver

we have an 06 odyssey touring and let me tell you...sometimes this van drives better than some of the cars i've owned...the V6 has some good umph and we're averaging 17.3 miles per gallon.

And for practical reasons there is nothing that can come close. No lifting of the kids, no bending over to put them in. The toddlers can just get up on their own with little to no assistance. We've gone out w/ family and friends and we're able to accommodate them in comfort. Cant beat it.

And the Touring is just simply loaded with amenities that we love and the kids love it too
Old 05-30-06, 10:56 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian
Senior Moderator

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

I liked the Sienna, until they did the midlife upgrades and now IMO the exterior looks horrendous. Grill and headlights look rediulous and the tailights look out of wack. Like they had a shacky hand while redesigning it. BIG in the looks department. But the interior is improved and it looks even better with many more clever features.

Have you ever considered the Mazda5?? Though it is a ton smaller(looks to be about the size of the smaller Dodge Caravan) than the Sienna, Odyessey, I think it looks outstanding and might serve your purpose well.

Or the little bit larger MPV, Pacifica, Highlander, Rav4, the XC90 is a nice truck and a lot of young families choose this SUV along with the XC70 Cross Country but the 3rd row seats are stupid small.
Old 05-31-06, 06:05 AM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Neo
Here is a recent discussion involving the XC90:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=197895
Thanks again. This is great info.
Old 05-31-06, 06:06 AM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by foofighter
we have an 06 odyssey touring and let me tell you...sometimes this van drives better than some of the cars i've owned...the V6 has some good umph and we're averaging 17.3 miles per gallon.

And for practical reasons there is nothing that can come close. No lifting of the kids, no bending over to put them in. The toddlers can just get up on their own with little to no assistance. We've gone out w/ family and friends and we're able to accommodate them in comfort. Cant beat it.

And the Touring is just simply loaded with amenities that we love and the kids love it too

The Honda Odyssey Touring seems sportier than the Sienna. Now I have to start another thread soon on if I should get the Odyssey or Sienna? Too many decisions!
Old 05-31-06, 06:07 AM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by magneto112
I liked the Sienna, until they did the midlife upgrades and now IMO the exterior looks horrendous. Grill and headlights look rediulous and the tailights look out of wack. Like they had a shacky hand while redesigning it. BIG in the looks department. But the interior is improved and it looks even better with many more clever features.

Have you ever considered the Mazda5?? Though it is a ton smaller(looks to be about the size of the smaller Dodge Caravan) than the Sienna, Odyessey, I think it looks outstanding and might serve your purpose well.

Or the little bit larger MPV, Pacifica, Highlander, Rav4, the XC90 is a nice truck and a lot of young families choose this SUV along with the XC70 Cross Country but the 3rd row seats are stupid small.
The Mazda definitely looks sportier than the others and almost like a souped up Sienna. However I would still go with a Toyota or Honda over a Mazda based on preference.
Old 05-31-06, 02:46 PM
LexFather

I am with the comment I have more respect for the man in the van, than in the SUV, especially the half-breed sporty ones.

If you read the FX/Cayenne/X5 comments, its clear most of those owners really think they are "cool" and RX/Vans/everything else is lame, when its the other way around. Its hilarious to read some of the comments.

I don't understand why men don't mod vans more, especially since everyone and their momma has a SUV.

Old 05-31-06, 04:17 PM
ShadyJC
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
If you read the FX/Cayenne/X5 comments, its clear most of those owners really think they are "cool" and RX/Vans/everything else is lame, when its the other way around. Its hilarious to read some of the comments.
?? None of those 3 vehicles were mentioned in this thread?
Old 05-31-06, 05:31 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by ShadyJC
?? None of those 3 vehicles were mentioned in this thread?
I see your sig, if you don't act like sporty SUVs are some sort of device Austin Powers uses, then don't worry.

The thread is clearly about "image", so I used those 3 about image. Clearly they do appeal to men who think that they are somehow "Cooler" than a non sporty SUV.

IMO, there is a coolness about a Cayenne Turbo and maybe a 4.8 X5, those are rare beasts clearly tuned more to the performance side. The FX is sporty image wise, the RX would be sophisticated image wise. A Escalade screams "bling" a RR screams "class". Etc etc.

As for vans, lets, I mean from an "image" standpoint, they are all . Let's be real. However when I do see a man driving one, I say "he is clearly comfortable with himself" thus even though he drives an uncool car, he is COOLER than the guy trying to hard. IMO, ALL VANS have the same image. I can't say a Sienna is cooler than a Odyessy.

My last point is I would think more "men" would go to vans since everyone has a SUV, and a modded van would be rare.

Bottom line I hope I am not "older" and more concerned with image than I am now

Last edited by LexFather; 05-31-06 at 05:55 PM.

Old 05-31-06, 09:13 PM
GatorGX
Rookie

Originally Posted by lexguynj
I just checked out the Sienna Limited Website again and it is luxuirous and has everything you need for kids. It looks nice too. I don't think I should put 20" rims on the SUV, but it still looks good. What still is a drawback is the 215 HP engine which seems week, but I guess I have to drive it and find out for myself.

I also should get a dark color to make it look like a coolor minivan.
'07 Sienna is rumored to get the 3.5L engine of the RX350, which should really help the horsepower... see here...
http://www.siennaclub.org/forum/inde...ic=9717&st=125

Still unknown if the Ody will counter with some new features for '07. Many hope for Bluetooth with the Nav. Great site for info...
http://www.odyclub.com/forums/forumd...php?forumid=52

We have neither but I think minivans are the way to go. As for '06, most will tell you (and my test drives agree) that the Ody is much sportier feeling but the Sienna (in Limited and XLE) has a nicer interior (but cushy ride). Many don't like being stuck with the run-flat PAX tires of the Ody Touring (note they are different design than the stiff sidewall types of the Sienna).
Old 05-31-06, 09:36 PM
foofighter
Lexus Test Driver

when my wife and i were looking at minivans I was really hot over the sienna because i'm a gadget guy and that thing had gadgets up the wahzooo. If they had rebadged it w/ the "L" for lexus i wouldnt have known better it's that luxurious inside. But the exterior styling didnt get me like the Touring did...and you're right the Touring does look more sporty i think it's because of the 17" wheels that reminds me of the 7 series BMW wheels but it drives nice it's got 4 wheel disc brakes which is availble i think on the Sienna on some package.

I thoroughly enjoy driving the Odyssey at times and forget that i'm driving a minivan as i'm taking corners and am reminded by my wife that i should slow down around on ramps and twisties LOL
Old 05-31-06, 10:00 PM
shoehead
Driver

Wow having been in a family with many children(cousins), most of my aunts and uncles had phases where they alternated between SUVs and minivans and conversion vans
I am 130lb and 5'-10
My input is:
SUVs
1-the third row of any SUV still has yet to impress me, infact i cannot stand the third row of any SUV, the stadium seating(slightly raised rear) and no leg room.
2-Yes SuV is great for multi purpose use, ie u go to home depot alot, u have an active lifestyle, u have something to tow often.
3- gas mileage u can expect close to or over 50$ when u fill up.
4-pain to park in tight areas
Full size van
same #3,4
1-AWESOME space for every passenger. If you position the seats carefully everyone can stretch their feet without touching the seat in front.....almost.
2-conversion custom models offer many amenities,ie cooler, BIG tvs(satellite too), fully flat reclining rear bench chair(very nice), massage captains chairs, navigation, and 4WD.
3-you can also tow
Mini wan
1-offers more room then the SUV but not as much as full size.
2- very very comfortable for everyday use.
3-not hard to park, better on gas than suv or full size.
4-Better all around for everyday use.
Cars ive been in.
escalade esv and suburban- gas guzzlers but (suburban) thanks to the 4 wheel steering a little better to manage when parking in tight spaces. again better 3rd row leg room space then any other SUV ive been in and also easier to access with the captain 2nd row chairs.
Armada-taller then suburban-also narrower(not good) throaty v-8 the 3rd row is going to be a PAIN PAIN PAIN to access. also it is very very small compared to teh suburban at least thats how it felt.
Suvs are good if u need to tow ppl and other objects at the same time.
sienna odessy town and country- all three very useful every day, very easy to get kids in and out. highly reccomended over the conversion van and SUV, for everyday use.
express conversion- VERy VERy spacious, great for long trips, not as great driving everyday as a minivan, but again the space makes up for everything.

ALso depends on how old the children are. if you actually need to get them in the chairs and do seat belt and all, full size van is way to go, imo cause it is spacious.

These are just my opinions.
Good Luck
you should test drive some vehicles with your family and play out scenarios of loading the kids and other things.
Old 06-01-06, 12:12 AM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks again to all with your great input in this matter. I know the right decision is a mini-van, but can't come to grips with it just yet. If the Siena came with more HP in 2007, I think I would have no choice but to go for it. I have a 2.5 year old daughter at this time and future twins on the way, so I am thinking the twins will be in the 2nd row and my 2.5 year old will be in the 3rd row, so I am trying to figure out how to access the 3rd row when the car seats / anchors will already be situated in the 2nd row.
Old 06-01-06, 12:27 AM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sma
'07 Sienna is rumored to get the 3.5L engine of the RX350, which should really help the horsepower... see here...
http://www.siennaclub.org/forum/inde...ic=9717&st=125

Still unknown if the Ody will counter with some new features for '07. Many hope for Bluetooth with the Nav. Great site for info...
http://www.odyclub.com/forums/forumd...php?forumid=52

We have neither but I think minivans are the way to go. As for '06, most will tell you (and my test drives agree) that the Ody is much sportier feeling but the Sienna (in Limited and XLE) has a nicer interior (but cushy ride). Many don't like being stuck with the run-flat PAX tires of the Ody Touring (note they are different design than the stiff sidewall types of the Sienna).
Thanks again for the links, this is great info and if the Sienna does in fact get the new 3.5 litre engine than this is most likely the way I will go.

Quick Reply: Mini Man if you need a Minivan?