Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Mini Man if you need a Minivan?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-06, 09:23 AM
GatorGX
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, no problem. We have 2 kids (1 and 3) and were leaning towards minivan (Ody Touring) but wife is just not ready to go that route yet. She REALLY likes the GX470 but not the gas milage. If GX gets a mid model refresh for '07 that might help. If it gets a hybrid version that would probably seal the deal for us. Other than that, I will be checking out the new '07 MDX (3 rows) at the end of the year.

I think with 2 young kids you can get away without the minivan but with 3 in car seats it is pretty much minivan or Suburban. If you get the walk-through 2nd row on the minivan (so 7 person, not 8 person setup) you are fine getting to the back seats even with car seats in 2nd (middle) row. That is one of the advantages of the minivan. I wish more SUV's came like the Tahoe/Yukon/Slade do where you can get 2 captains chairs in the 2nd row so you can easily get back to the 3rd row without flipping seats forward. I mean the Pilot, MDX, GX470 could all do such an option and suit the needs of many more who (right or wrong) are fighting the minivan purchase.
Old 06-01-06, 10:01 AM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sma
Yeah, no problem. We have 2 kids (1 and 3) and were leaning towards minivan (Ody Touring) but wife is just not ready to go that route yet. She REALLY likes the GX470 but not the gas milage. If GX gets a mid model refresh for '07 that might help. If it gets a hybrid version that would probably seal the deal for us. Other than that, I will be checking out the new '07 MDX (3 rows) at the end of the year.

I think with 2 young kids you can get away without the minivan but with 3 in car seats it is pretty much minivan or Suburban. If you get the walk-through 2nd row on the minivan (so 7 person, not 8 person setup) you are fine getting to the back seats even with car seats in 2nd (middle) row. That is one of the advantages of the minivan. I wish more SUV's came like the Tahoe/Yukon/Slade do where you can get 2 captains chairs in the 2nd row so you can easily get back to the 3rd row without flipping seats forward. I mean the Pilot, MDX, GX470 could all do such an option and suit the needs of many more who (right or wrong) are fighting the minivan purchase.
SMA - thanks for your feedback and this brings up a good point. The Tahoe and Yukon now have these auto power fold-up seats for the 2nd row, so you can get to the 3rd row easier. However what happens if you already have a baby seat in that 2nd row seat? I have to check this out. Maybe the captain's chairs in the 2nd row is the way to go, since you can still get the 3rd row without folding the 2nd row seat up? This also may not be the case.
Old 06-01-06, 12:13 PM
jdmdaddy
Lead Lap

On I forged Spints

ODY
photo courtesy of AnthonyOdy on ODYCLUB.com

I had to post a pic with some flava! Vans are cool

-Craig
Old 06-01-06, 12:38 PM
foofighter
Lexus Test Driver

haha we had 19 Iforged senekas on our 05 Ody.

As for seating we have our 6 month old and 3 year old in the 2nd row w/ the center seat taken out so that our 6 year old can go back and sit.
Old 06-01-06, 01:04 PM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 for the minivan.

My sister has an '05 Sequioa and she thinks its a pain to get the kids in and out
of the car seats since it's so high up. I agree too. My 3 year old niece is getting heavier
each day and lifting her 5 feet up and into a child car seat ain't easy.

She says she would have prefered a minivan, but her husband insisted on the SUV
because of the image factor.

I saw a black Sienna the other day with some nice wheels and it looked really nice.
For a family man, you just have to come to grips and get what's best for the kids.
When gas prices hit $5/gallon, you'll be glad you didn't get the 10-15mpg gas guzzler.
Old 06-01-06, 06:21 PM
foofighter
Lexus Test Driver

they have black now for the Sienna???? are you sure? their darkest color is slate metallic
Old 06-02-06, 11:11 AM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by lexguynj
I just checked out the Sienna Limited Website again and it is luxuirous and has everything you need for kids. It looks nice too. I don't think I should put 20" rims on the SUV, but it still looks good. What still is a drawback is the 215 HP engine which seems week, but I guess I have to drive it and find out for myself.

I also should get a dark color to make it look like a coolor minivan.
It's not too bad, it does a great job of moving the van around. My parents have an 05 LE with just the passenger side power door, my next mod is the alloy wheels, steel wheels shouldn't be offered for these heavy vans...
Old 06-03-06, 09:03 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

I am stil thinking how in the world can you get past 2 baby seats anchored in the 2nd row to get your 3rd child into the 3rd / last row.
Old 06-03-06, 10:57 PM
shoehead
Driver

I am stil thinking how in the world can you get past 2 baby seats anchored in the 2nd row to get your 3rd child into the 3rd / last row.
Full size van is the answer, people really overlook this choice, but you should check it out for urself.

No way in the world u will have problem accessing the 3rd row w/ baby chairs in the 2nd.

The new model doesn't look bad to me. VIPish in black.
Old 06-04-06, 11:21 AM
videcormeum
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by shoehead
The new model doesn't look bad to me. VIPish in black.
Full size vans are a real hassle in the city and they don't provide either the performance or fuel economy of a minivan. I still think a minivan is the best option.

M.
Old 06-04-06, 11:23 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by lexguynj
Thanks again for the links, this is great info and if the Sienna does in fact get the new 3.5 litre engine than this is most likely the way I will go.
What about a SUVAN then?
Pacifica? Benz R class? I think even BMW is coming with one soon right?

R class looks decent with the AMG kit and big wheels.