Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

4th time I've heard/read it. Next NSX will be front engined with SH-AWD and a coupe

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-06, 07:50 PM
LexFather

Default 4th time I've heard/read it. Next NSX will be front engined with SH-AWD and a coupe

I just read this again in another mag and some high level Honda guy confirmed it.Supposed to keep a V-10 and battle GTs like the M6 and Bentley Coupe.Gets SH-AWD and Front engined.

It will still be badged the NSX. This would then have NOTHING in common with the philosophy of the original NSX, simple and light.

Your thoughts? The last V-6 NSX was a 90k car, not sure where this ones price will be but lets hope past sales are not an indication of the future car.

Old 06-01-06, 07:56 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

IMO it should not be called the NSX then. It sounds like its going to be everything the current NSX is not.
Old 06-01-06, 09:39 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

the old SL used to mean super light as well, but look at how complicated and HEAVY the current SL is. however, everyone still know of it as the SL, to them the car means top of the line mb convertible coupe.

for the new nsx, i am disappointed that it's not mid engine, i think that would have been better (no one cares about the cargo space in such a car ok?), but personally i don't see why it wouldn't be called the nsx, if it still has the same kind of top performance as the previous one, and able to compete and win over other exotics.
Old 06-02-06, 03:17 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
for the new nsx, i am disappointed that it's not mid engine, i think that would have been better (no one cares about the cargo space in such a car ok?), but personally i don't see why it wouldn't be called the nsx, if it still has the same kind of top performance as the previous one, and able to compete and win over other exotics.
Well, I think the main reason that they apparantly are going to front-engine design rather than mid is to add the AWD........it is more difficult to do AWD with a mid-engine design, although Porsche manages to do it on some models with the engine in back.
The addition of the SH-AWD system will be a giant step forward for this car. I have experienced this system on the more sedate Acura RL , and it is superb and seamless.
Old 06-02-06, 06:47 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,424 Likes on 1,588 Posts

Interesting.

Mid-engine is cool but maintenance is a pain. The only potential downside is weight distribution. Hopefully Acura will move heavy stuff like the battery to the back.

Adding SH-AWD is a great move - AWD isn't just for off roading and bad weather it will improve launch and handling in about all situations.

Can't wait to see it!
Old 06-02-06, 03:15 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Still unconfirmed, but if they do go front engine and build a GT car rather than a mid engine exotic it will fail unless the price stays well below $100K but we know that wont happen. It looks like a used NSX is in my future again. Or maybe a Porsche Cayman.

Last edited by CK6Speed; 06-02-06 at 07:03 PM.
Old 06-02-06, 03:54 PM
CallmeDoc
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Recent reports also suggest a Mid-engined V10 prototype has been built, tested, and close to production. Rumors are suggesting an upscale Acura GT coupe is comming as well. You have to remember, Acura has yet to produce a luxury sports coupe to replace the CL-S. I think Acura learned from its mistakes the first time around. They have been talking about a GT coupe in the 50-60K range. We'll see what happens. I'm personally excited to see what's in store for the next NSX. I agree though, putting the highly-regarded/legendary NSX monicker on something that's not mid-engined will be unacceptable......
Old 06-02-06, 04:03 PM
Faraaz23
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Supposed to keep a V-10 and battle GTs like the M6 and Bentley Coupe.
I wouldn't be surprised if the current 290hp NSX could outlap a big whale like that on the Ring. M6 is a whole diff. story though.
Old 06-02-06, 06:36 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A V8 RL-based coupe with SHAWD would be fine, but a front engine SHAWD "NSX" might upset enthusiasts.

So build a RL coupe with front engine and SHAWD and then build a proper, mid engine, RWD NSX.

There we go
Old 06-02-06, 06:38 PM
videcormeum
Lexus Champion

I think Honda is making a mistake by "domesticating" the powertrain for the next NSX. The true value of the NSX was never in its sales numbers. The real value in the NSX is in the interest it generated for the Acura brand in America and for Honda in the rest of the world.

The nameplate in this proposed next generation will lose a great deal of its allure and mystique.

M.
Old 06-02-06, 06:59 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 224 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by videcormeum

I think Honda is making a mistake by "domesticating" the powertrain for the next NSX. The true value of the NSX was never in its sales numbers. The real value in the NSX is in the interest it generated for the Acura brand in America and for Honda in the rest of the world..
I thought I' ve heard they lose billions of dollars generating that interest for the Acura/Honda brand using the slow selling NSX.

Originally Posted by videcormeum
:The nameplate in this proposed next generation will lose a great deal of its allure and mystique.
I do agree I prefer the next NSX to be a mid-engine track car like the previous.
Old 06-02-06, 07:13 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LexArazzo
I thought I' ve heard they lose billions of dollars generating that interest for the Acura/Honda brand using the slow selling NSX.

I do agree I prefer the next NSX to be a mid-engine track car like the previous.
That is a tought question to answer. Total they did loose a lot of money on the NSX production itself. That included not only building the car but the factory specially built to build the NSX at its introduction. It wasn't until the S2000 came out and at a certain time the Insight were produced at that factory. It was all NSX otherwise. I also heard they actually lost money on every single NSX sold. The cost to buld was more than the MSRP. However, from a Honda company point their over all profits has been great. The question is how much did the NSX play a role in that? This is a very tough question to answer, because it doesn't only address car sales in general, but also trickle down technology like VTEC, use of aluminum suspension and the like. How much has those techonologies boosted the sales an interest in the Honda brand? Would the Civic have sold so many and be the Tuner car it is/was if there were no VTEC, Si, and Type R?
Old 06-02-06, 10:11 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
That is a tought question to answer. Total they did loose a lot of money on the NSX production itself. That included not only building the car but the factory specially built to build the NSX at its introduction. It wasn't until the S2000 came out and at a certain time the Insight were produced at that factory. It was all NSX otherwise. I also heard they actually lost money on every single NSX sold. The cost to buld was more than the MSRP. However, from a Honda company point their over all profits has been great. The question is how much did the NSX play a role in that? This is a very tough question to answer, because it doesn't only address car sales in general, but also trickle down technology like VTEC, use of aluminum suspension and the like. How much has those techonologies boosted the sales an interest in the Honda brand? Would the Civic have sold so many and be the Tuner car it is/was if there were no VTEC, Si, and Type R?
i have also heard that before, that the nsx were actually a "losing money" business for honda, but i agree that they did put honda on a very important spot in the industry. too bad though i don't think they fully utilize what they could have gained out of it

i am still waiting to see if i can own one 03 or 04 nsx some time in the future. what a ride