Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Acura RDX -Edmunds & TCC Test Drives(UPDATE-Pricing Announced for Turbo-charged RDX )

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-06, 09:53 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
yea youre missing the RX costs significantly more, and for 38 you can get a bare bones RX, RX gets 19/24 mpg, 38 will get you all the high tech options in an RDX, unlike a RX

RDX destroys the X3 (starting 37k) in terms of value which at base is extremely stripped down, youd have to hit 45k (leather, navi, audio, sport package, HID, and others) to even come close to a tech packaged RDX.
yep, but RX350 has more power, and is bigger vehicle, higher class.

In dimensions, RDX has significantly smaller interior space than Rav4. This is where 4cly Turbo makes no sense, since Rav4 not only is faster, lighter, bigger, it also gets a LOT better fuel economy.

While in the ideal world, customers wanting to buy an luxury brand vehicle such as Acura, would never look at Toyota, in our world, they would and they do. Quite few reports of ppl who were waiting for RDX, and bought Rav4 V6 over at rav4 forums...
Old 07-13-06, 06:56 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

rav4 v6 and RDX are apples vs oranges, yes the Rav4 is faster and more mileage but the interior and features wont be as good as an RDX, I dont think most potential buyers are specfically wanting to look for a 0-60 in low-mid 6s (rav4 v6). Its nemesis is the X3 which the RDX kills in terms of value. 07 X3 is getting upped to 260 hp and 225 trq, sounds like a car engine in an SUV. Id rather have 240 hp 260 torque for an SUV

MDX goes against an RX, lexus doesnt have anything to really compete with a RDX closest thing is a Rav4 but not really for that market segment
Old 07-13-06, 07:25 AM
JZA80MHU38
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess Honda North America just hasn't learned their lesson with their $50K Acura RL.

If the RDX is nicely equipped around $30K, that will probably be a hot seller. I just don't see how it can be priced higher than a TL.

RAV4 V6 Limited is not that much cheaper looking inside than the RDX, and it's way better valued than the RDX.

About the engine -- Are RDX and X3 really "SUV"? Actually, what's an "SUV" now? It's so blurly defined. To me, RDX and X3 are just small size tall station wagons, and I think either engine is great.

Last edited by JZA80MHU38; 07-13-06 at 07:45 AM.
Old 07-13-06, 01:50 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JZA80MHU38
I guess Honda North America just hasn't learned their lesson with their $50K Acura RL.

If the RDX is nicely equipped around $30K, that will probably be a hot seller. I just don't see how it can be priced higher than a TL.

RAV4 V6 Limited is not that much cheaper looking inside than the RDX, and it's way better valued than the RDX.

About the engine -- Are RDX and X3 really "SUV"? Actually, what's an "SUV" now? It's so blurly defined. To me, RDX and X3 are just small size tall station wagons, and I think either engine is great.
I sat in the Rav4 at the dealer and it is very cheap. No leather, very cheap Corolla plastic feel. It is a nice well optioned well priced small SUV, but let's be honest there is absolutley nothing luxurious about the interior. At least the RDX looks more like the TL/RL interiors if those buyers are interested in the luxury feel. The Rav4 is for the college kids that go to the beach, while the RDX is probably for the middle income soccor moms that just can't afford the MDX or RX330 and such.

Last edited by CK6Speed; 07-13-06 at 03:17 PM.
Old 07-13-06, 02:01 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
yep, but RX350 has more power, and is bigger vehicle, higher class...
And when is the RX scheduled for a redesign? That will make the new RDX obsolete quickly.

Lexus will always be more expensive than an Acura because of more power, higher class, and an option to get a hybrid. That's like people comparing the IS to the TSX, or the ES to the TL -- although Acura is cheaper, it needs a lot more to be comprable...
Old 07-13-06, 02:10 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
And when is the RX scheduled for a redesign? That will make the new RDX obsolete quickly.

Lexus will always be more expensive than an Acura because of more power, higher class, and an option to get a hybrid. That's like people comparing the IS to the TSX, or the ES to the TL -- although Acura is cheaper, it needs a lot more to be comprable...
The RX should be redesigned sometime around 2008/2009 as a 2009 model, so that is quite a while yet. Plus, the MDX is actually the competing vehicle to the RX which will be redesigned for a 2007 model. That gives both the new RDX and MDX about 2-3 years before we see a redesigned RX. With the amount of computers and new technology going into cars, they are getting obsolete much faster than in the past anyway.
Old 07-13-06, 02:56 PM
JZA80MHU38
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
The Rav4 is for the collage kids that go to the beach, while the RDX is probably for the middle income soccor moms that just can't afford the MDX or RX330 and such.
I think you get their target market reversed. College kids probably can't afford a 30K loaded RAV4 V6 Limited (with leather seats) -- maybe a four cylinder though; and middle income soccer moms will find the RDX too small and the ride and driving not refined enough.
Old 07-13-06, 03:16 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JZA80MHU38
I think you get their target market reversed. College kids probably can't afford a 30K loaded RAV4 V6 Limited (with leather seats) -- maybe a four cylinder though; and middle income soccer moms will find the RDX too small and the ride and driving not refined enough.

I don't know. We seem to have a lot of young college aged members driving around brand new GS and IS cars. The other point is lots of parents send their kids off to college with a car and the Rav4 in that regard would probably be the choice. For the soccor mom's, of course I'm just stabbing in the dark and trying to be homorous, but those soccor moms that were looking at a luxury SUV like the MDX or RX330, Infinti FX and such that just quite can't afford it would probably opt for the lower priced entry level Acura RDX rather than drop out fully from the luxury line and go with a Toyota Rav4. Remember, this forum always speaks of prestige and image. If those buyers were not into that they would be looking at Highlanders instead of RX's. If these buyers think the RDX is unrefined I pretty sure they will not like the Rav4.
Old 07-13-06, 03:34 PM
LexFather

I don't know. We seem to have a lot of young college aged members driving around brand new GS and IS cars. The other point is lots of parents send their kids off to college with a car and the Rav4 in that regard would probably be the choice. For the soccor mom's, of course I'm just stabbing in the dark and trying to be homorous, but those soccor moms that were looking at a luxury SUV like the MDX or RX330, Infinti FX and such that just quite can't afford it would probably opt for the lower priced entry level Acura RDX rather than drop out fully from the luxury line and go with a Toyota Rav4. Remember, this forum always speaks of prestige and image. If those buyers were not into that they would be looking at Highlanders instead of RX's. If these buyers think the RDX is unrefined I pretty sure they will not like the Rav4.
Well if the RDX is for soccer moms, SH-AWD and a turbo I-4 will be misunderstood and go to waste. It will appeal to guys that do their car h.w, IMO.

That is why I am confused. This car is small, has poor economy, and I am not even sure people will warm up to the looks and I was expecting a starting price under 30k, not over it. It does have a wonderful looking interior and Acura has usually always done interiors well.

The Forester might be this car's competiton more than anything, as well as the Mazda thingie. turbo I-4s, AWD. Thing is, the other 2 are regular brands, Acura is trying to be a luxury brand.

Makes no sense.

Another thing we have to watch for is the certified used car sales and their rise in sales. People might just stick to Acura and get a used MDX instead for the same price, let alone the competiton

Old 07-13-06, 03:38 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT

yeah, but not only that, RX is an larger class car... like MDX.

RDX is smaller sized, less luxury car... Its like comparing IS to 5 series and saying IS is cheaper.
Old 07-13-06, 03:43 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

retail market does not work that way... a lot of people who get Limited Rav4 V6, look even into RX, FX and other luxury competitors, let alone RDX or CX7.

It is the same market in reality. Check any Rav4 boards OR RDX boards and see what are people who are buying the cars comparing them with. Most of the Rav4 owners compared their rides with CX7 and RDX before buying.
Old 07-13-06, 03:48 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

I sat in the Rav4 at the dealer and it is very cheap. No leather, very cheap Corolla plastic feel. It is a nice well optioned well priced small SUV, but let's be honest there is absolutley nothing luxurious about the interior. At least the RDX looks more like the TL/RL interiors if those buyers are interested in the luxury feel. The Rav4 is for the college kids that go to the beach, while the RDX is probably for the middle income soccor moms that just can't afford the MDX or RX330 and such.
well, thats because you sat in the cheapest Rav4 :-). Check leather limited, there is world of difference there.

It still wont compare to luxury Suv's, but it is pretty OK. And maybe they will offer few of the European Rav4 features as well in some of the future models. Except for the xenons, my euro rav4 has actually more stuff than RX.
Old 07-13-06, 03:56 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Well if the RDX is for soccer moms, SH-AWD and a turbo I-4 will be misunderstood and go to waste. It will appeal to guys that do their car h.w, IMO.

That is why I am confused. This car is small, has poor economy, and I am not even sure people will warm up to the looks and I was expecting a starting price under 30k, not over it. It does have a wonderful looking interior and Acura has usually always done interiors well.

The Forester might be this car's competiton more than anything, as well as the Mazda thingie. turbo I-4s, AWD. Thing is, the other 2 are regular brands, Acura is trying to be a luxury brand.

Makes no sense.

Another thing we have to watch for is the certified used car sales and their rise in sales. People might just stick to Acura and get a used MDX instead for the same price, let alone the competiton
I don't really know who will buy the car. I'm just entertaining myself and guessing right now What I do know from talking to women at work or even my own wife is that if they wanted a luxury SUV like the ones I mentioned but couldn't afford one, they would look to the smaller SUVs like the X3 which my wife loves (I hate it) rather then get a CRV or RAV4. If that were the only choice they would just not buy a luxury SUV and get an entry level sedan like the ES350 or TSX/TL. Since the RDX is more in line with the BMW X3, I can see those buyers at least taking a serious look at the RDX. Whether they actually but it or not I can't say, but I know they wont be stopping by the Toyota dealership or Honda dealership to look at the RAV4 or CRV. If anything, they would opt for a Toyota Highlander. Even if Acura doesn't have the image and prestige of the other luxury car manufactures, it still holds more prestige than a Honda or Toyota. That alone plays a large role in people's buying habbits as you yourself know and point out with the RL and such.

I agree with the price though. If fully optioned out it really does cost $37K that is a lot. I'd say loaded at $34K would have been reasonable.

Anyway, for me I could care less about this small SUV segment. The only thing I'm really excited about is the engine.
Old 07-13-06, 04:00 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by spwolf
well, thats because you sat in the cheapest Rav4 :-). Check leather limited, there is world of difference there.

It still wont compare to luxury Suv's, but it is pretty OK. And maybe they will offer few of the European Rav4 features as well in some of the future models. Except for the xenons, my euro rav4 has actually more stuff than RX.

As 1SICKLEX mentioned many times before, slapping leather on the seats and adding power windows and seats doesn't make it luxury. I wasn't sitting in the cheapest one as I believe it was the sports version. Let's be honest though, the leather wont to anything to the dash and the rest of the cheap feeling plastic. Over all it is still a major step down from even entry level luxury cars.
Old 07-13-06, 04:00 PM
KrazyLexus
Lead Lap

1) Yes they are ultimate in techology. Look at the TL in 2004 when it came out. Now the RL. Fuel definitely. my TL gets 23-24 city!!! Over 30+ highway. Our Camry can't get over 18 right now.

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
The 2007 RDX illustrates Acura's passion for developing vehicles that
can deliver the ultimate in performance, technology, safety and fuel
efficiency," said **** Colliver, executive vice president sales

I really need the crack they smoke. Acura is the ultimate at performance? Nope. Technology? Nope. Safety. Nope? Fuel efficiency? Nope. Are they competative in these areas? Yes. Ultimate? As close as we are to stop depending on oil.

If guys like him are in charge, no wonder, no wonder....

$33k for a 4-cylinder with less power than the RX 350, with less economy and its smaller and lighter. Makes no sense am I missing something?

Quick Reply: Acura RDX -Edmunds & TCC Test Drives(UPDATE-Pricing Announced for Turbo-charged RDX )