Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Acura RDX -Edmunds & TCC Test Drives(UPDATE-Pricing Announced for Turbo-charged RDX )

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-06, 10:08 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Acura RDX -Edmunds & TCC Test Drives(UPDATE-Pricing Announced for Turbo-charged RDX )

Booster stage for the compact luxury SUV
By Brent Romans Email
Date posted: 05-31-2006

First Impressions:
A desirable compact luxury SUV that, for some people, might sacrifice a bit too much utility in its quest for maximum on-road presence.

* 240-hp four-cylinder engine
* First Acura engine to be turbocharged
* Available technology package
* 60.6 cubic feet of maximum cargo space

Were the 2007 Acura RDX given a Chinese zodiac sign, its birth would fall under the year of the Fire Dog. Astrological traits include loyalty, passion, intelligence and, with a bit of speculation on our part, the ability to shoot flames out of one's mouth while barking.

No doubt Acura would be very happy if people see the Fire Dog's qualities in its new RDX. This is a new compact luxury SUV and represents the latest trend in the SUV segment. As a counter to your neighbor's hulking 'Slade, the RDX's auto-zodiac traits have it being smaller, less conspicuous and more fuel-efficient, but with enough toys to keep the bourgeoisie happy. Vive la résistance!

All-new platform
Alas, it was not the French who came up with the RDX but those crafty Honda/Acura engineers from Japan and America. The RDX, which will be priced in the mid-$30Ks, is built at the same Marysville, Ohio, plant as the TL sedan. It features an all-new unibody structure and doesn't have much similarity to the TL or any other Acura or Honda product.

Direct competition includes the BMW X3 and some non luxury-branded small SUVs, such as the Mazda CX-7 and Toyota RAV4. Compared to BMW's X3, the RDX is almost identical in length, width and height. The main variation on the spec sheet is that the RDX has about a 6-inch-shorter wheelbase and wider front and rear tracks.

The suspension is fully independent, with MacPherson struts in front and a multilink design for the rear. But with only 6.3 inches of ground clearance, standard 18-inch wheels and low-profile tires, the RDX is as comfortable in the backwoods as Shakira in Jimmy Choos.

Instead, Acura envisions its latest baby as an SUV version of the TSX sedan. Design goals included a sporty drive, contemporary styling and, like all Acuras, plenty of features and value. The hope is that it will appeal to younger urbanites looking to trade up out of a regular sedan or small SUV.

Boosted performance
The styling is certainly contemporary but does little to elicit emotion. For that, one needs to check out what's underneath the hood. Here lies an all-new 2.3-liter double-overhead-cam turbocharged inline four with i-VTEC. It produces…wait. Turbocharged? What you talkin' 'bout, Willis?

For the Honda faithful, this must come across as a dramatic shock. Acura's engineers say they went this route because new technologies became available that made a turbo four a better design choice than a normally aspirated V6.

Developed in conjunction with Mitsubishi, this variable-flow turbo is meant to combine the best qualities of small and large turbos. Electronically controlled, a special valve increases exhaust gas velocity into the turbo housing at low speeds by restricting the inlet area, enabling the impeller to speed up more quickly. At higher engine speeds where gas flow is abundant, the valve opens progressively to maintain optimum flow.

Variable-flow turbos aren't new, but Acura says its patented design, in which the exhaust gases are regulated before they enter the turbocharger rather than within, significantly improves long-term durability. Air exiting the turbo is cooled via an air-to-air intercooler before making its way to the engine's combustion chambers.

Superhero AWD
The result is 240 horsepower at 6,000 rpm and 260 pound-feet of torque at 4,500 rpm. Power is sent through a five-speed automatic transmission to a standard all-wheel-drive system. Unlike the 4WD system fitted to the Honda CR-V, the RDX has an all-wheel-drive system (SH-AWD) similar to the one used for the RL luxury sedan.

The SH of SH-AWD stands for Super Handling. The system is able to not only distribute torque between the front and rear axles but also between the left and right wheels. The result is a claimed improvement in steering and power response during cornering, as extra drive torque can be supplied to the outside rear tire.

On our drive with the RDX around San Francisco, we found that Acura has put together some pretty sweet running gear. Acceleration isn't life-changing — the RDX's 2-ton curb weight and AWD see to that — but this crossover SUV is certainly quick. The engine seems to have been tuned to be torque-friendly down low but still somewhat "revvy" like other Acura engines. Power comes on strong after about 2,000 and stays there until the 6,800 rpm redline.

Transmission gearchanges are prompt and Acura has fitted F1-style paddles on the steering wheel for drivers who want to do manual sequential shifts. Thanks to the well-tuned suspension, SH-AWD, quick steering and 235/55-series tires, the RDX can be driven hard on a canyon road with a minimum of drama and plenty of fun. On regular city streets, the ride quality is well within the limits for comfortable driving and commuting.

Not much U in this SUV
This means that the RDX is designed to be best at what people typically use SUVs for — general daily use. The interior is classy and upscale in appearance. Two adults in the back should be pretty comfortable, as there's more rear headroom and legroom than in the TSX.

Surprisingly, the RDX is a bit of a poseur in terms of utility. Though they fold down easily, the split rear seats don't recline or slide fore/aft as they do on the Honda CR-V. Maximum cargo capacity, at 60.6 cubic feet, is OK for a small SUV but about 10 cubic feet shy of the X3's cargo hold. Nor did Acura cook up anything special in terms of useful cargo-securing tiedowns or extra load dividers. Towing capacity is a carlike 1,500 pounds.

More reassuring is that just about everything comes standard. Main features include HID headlights, a moonroof, leather seating, dual-zone automatic climate control, a power driver seat, a six-CD changer audio system with an aux jack, and a 6.5-inch LCD display.

Antilock brakes, stability control, front side airbags and full-length side curtain airbags are also standard. Opting for the RDX's Technology package adds an 8-inch LCD screen, navigation with real-time traffic information in 31 metro areas, a premium Acura/ELS surround sound audio system, Bluetooth connectivity and additional display and control features.

Seeing an Acura RDX in your future
The 2007 Acura RDX represents the latest morph of the SUV. It looks like an SUV and it's called an SUV, but it drives and functions pretty much like a premium four-door hatchback. No matter what description is used, this new Acura should appeal to those looking for a vehicle that's fun to drive and possesses more utility than the average sedan.

Will it find success? Perhaps its zodiac is indeed favorable. After all, it's from the year of the Fire Dog, not the Metal Pig.
Old 06-01-06, 10:11 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Old 06-01-06, 10:54 PM
S L I C K
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know if I like this SUV or not. It's weird. I definitely like the interior, but I can't decided on the exterior. Maybe I have to see it in person.
Old 06-02-06, 12:39 AM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do like this SUV. It has some impalpable charm to it. It's small, it's turbocharged, and it's got lots of goodies. And as far as looks goes, it looks weird from the outside, sort of, but the interior is gorgeous, and that's where you'll be spending most of your time anyway. Plus, the exterior looks pretty good from that first pic. If i were in the market for a small SUV, this > X3 anyday.
Old 06-02-06, 06:38 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,429 Likes on 1,592 Posts

Pretty cool! Probably fun to drive. And an 8" screen? Drool.
Old 06-02-06, 07:07 AM
LexFather

Bottom line "the SUV for cheap badgehounds who need the badge"
The interior is very nice.
The exterior is horrific.
I-4 in a luxury badged SUV, turbo or not, is ghey.

This car is Ford Escape, Mazda CX competiton, etc. I mean a Rav-4 owner can say he has more cylinders.

Acura's problem BEFORE this car and they continue this trend.

Old 06-02-06, 07:33 AM
Milla...

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Bottom line "the SUV for cheap badgehounds who need the badge"
The exterior is horrific.
I-4 in a luxury badged SUV, turbo or not, is ghey.

This car is Ford Escape, Mazda CX competiton, etc. I mean a Rav-4 owner can say he has more cylinders.

Acura's problem BEFORE this car and they continue this trend.
And this thing will still sell like nobody's business, in fact they may not be able to keep them on the lots.
Its an acura, it has the goodies, very very nice interior, has good power, decent price. Anyone looking for this size auto will go straight to this acura it blows the others completely away. I see a home run.
Old 06-02-06, 07:37 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Milla...
And this thing will still sell like nobody's business, in fact they may not be able to keep them on the lots.
Its an acura, it has the goodies, very very nice interior, has good power, decent price. Anyone looking for this size auto will go straight to this acura it blows the others completely away. I see a home run.
Pricing is expected to start around 32k. I don't think people will go straight to it. I honestly think people that don't need NAV will consider the Rav-4 and the new Mazda CX has recently gotten rave reviews in 3 magazines.

As they mentioned the utility in this SUV is lacking, it tows 1,500 lbs, lol. My lawnmower tows more

But its hard to argue that cheap Acuras do sell, so I can agree with you there. It should sell well. At the cost of the brands already low image of luxury.

Old 06-02-06, 08:03 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Well I dont know who they are kidding when it comes to interior space. Cargo room is small, rear seats are tight, and I couldnt even get comfortable in the front seat. My knees were almost touching the dashboard. I think it was made for hobbits only. The interior is well laid out and looks great(minus the Honda Civic steering wheel), but I noticed they forgot one very minor detail. No power passenger seat. Its not a deal breaker but its wierd that Acura is known to have everything you want or need standard, but they forgot something so minor as that. The outside?? Very ugly. I'm sure it drives fine though. A couple of my friends who work for Acura are looking forward to this model. Sales have been slightly down for them this year.
Old 06-02-06, 08:12 AM
Milla...

Pricing is expected to start around 32k. I don't think people will go straight to it. I honestly think people that don't need NAV will consider the Rav-4 and the new Mazda CX has recently gotten rave reviews in 3 magazines.

As they mentioned the utility in this SUV is lacking, it tows 1,500 lbs, lol. My lawnmower tows more

But its hard to argue that cheap Acuras do sell, so I can agree with you there. It should sell well. At the cost of the brands already low image of luxury.

True true, I wont go as far as saying that the other makes wont sell well, I think it will have the same effect as the MDX had on the market, they sold like hot cakes it was a hit but Lexus sold their fair share of RX's and BMW sold their share of X5's so I'm not saying that people will ignore the Rav-4 and the like, but now that there is something out there that offers more in this segment it gives a lot of people a better choice IMO and probably something that they would much rather spend there money on now that its out there (or will be) I know if I were looking for something like this currently, I for one wouldn't bother with anything outside of the Rav-4, but now with the intro of this new RDX not needing a NAV wouldn't cause me to scratch it off the list, because it offers so much more. And who tows anything with these small wagon suv things, at least here in Cali I've never seen anyone try it, so I doubt thats an issue, I mean can any of these things tow anything even worth towing...
Old 06-02-06, 08:15 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Question Tsx

Originally Posted by magneto112
I noticed they forgot one very minor detail. No power passenger seat. Its not a deal breaker but its wierd that Acura is known to have everything you want or need standard, but they forgot something so minor as that.
They did the same thing in the TSX but it was added the next year. Maybe they just want to be able to add little things every year to keep people interested?

Old 06-02-06, 08:18 AM
videcormeum
Lexus Champion

The center console layout comes straight from Land Rover.

Here's the Range Rover console:

M.
Attached Thumbnails Acura RDX -Edmunds & TCC Test Drives(UPDATE-Pricing Announced for Turbo-charged RDX )-range_rover_dash_2.jpg  
Old 06-02-06, 08:46 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by videcormeum
The center console layout comes straight from Land Rover.

Here's the Range Rover console:

M.
I don't see it. If you stretch it and say there is a screen then some vents then some ***** then the shifter, then OK. That can be said about other cars too.
Old 06-02-06, 08:54 AM
Milla...

Originally Posted by Neo
I don't see it. If you stretch it and say there is a screen then some vents then some ***** then the shifter, then OK. That can be said about other cars too.
Its funny I thought the exact same thing and so I kept going back and forth and then It jumped out at me. Its the vertical pillars that run down both sides of the screen through the dash and continues to the shifter, that one design element is surely the RR. check it out, you'll see it.
Old 06-02-06, 09:23 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by magneto112
Well I dont know who they are kidding when it comes to interior space. Cargo room is small, rear seats are tight, and I couldnt even get comfortable in the front seat. My knees were almost touching the dashboard. I think it was made for hobbits only. The interior is well laid out and looks great(minus the Honda Civic steering wheel), but I noticed they forgot one very minor detail. No power passenger seat. Its not a deal breaker but its wierd that Acura is known to have everything you want or need standard, but they forgot something so minor as that. The outside?? Very ugly. I'm sure it drives fine though. A couple of my friends who work for Acura are looking forward to this model. Sales have been slightly down for them this year.
Acura is about "value" and there are many things on Acuras that are cheap. Even the RL has only a 4 way passenger seat . The 2.5 TL passenger seat was manual to the drivers power side. They cut corners to have that rock bottom pricing.

Originally Posted by Milla...
Its funny I thought the exact same thing and so I kept going back and forth and then It jumped out at me. Its the vertical pillars that run down both sides of the screen through the dash and continues to the shifter, that one design element is surely the RR. check it out, you'll see it.
I saw that too, just never mentioned it. I think we need a pic of a RR with the alumium trim

Sigh, 3 4-cylinder cars, they might as well rebadge the Fit as the Fat and call it an Acura.

Quick Reply: Acura RDX -Edmunds & TCC Test Drives(UPDATE-Pricing Announced for Turbo-charged RDX )