Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus and Toyota Together Capture 11 of 19 Initial Quality Model Awards JD Power!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-06, 05:35 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by enigma354
I was quite impressed by the wall of JD Power awards both at the Auto Show and at Longo Toyota...
Be more impressed with the high quality rankings Consumer Reports gives Toyota and Honda .....they are worth more than J.D. Power trophies. ( see my response to magneto above )
Old 06-11-06, 05:44 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by flipside909

You guys should see the awards cabinet at the Toyota Museum, it's overflowing with the actual JD Power trophies Toyota & Lexus has acheived over the years. It's so huge there are some awards sitting in the lobby of the museum.
Yes, be impressed, flip, but not because of this. Be impressed because of Consumer Reports, and what THEY have had to say about Toyotas and Hondas ( and yes, Subarus). Their data is more accurate then Power's.

( By the way, Consumer Reports, last year, rated the Lexus IS300 the most reliable single vehicle in their database...a vehicle you and I have both owned. At the same time, Subaru as a brand overall had the least number of defects ).
Old 06-11-06, 07:48 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,487 Likes on 1,633 Posts

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
Yeah...the GS falls behind the Infiniti M and the Jaguar S-Type....what's up with that?
Where r u seeing this? I can't find a link to model data reflecting that. Thanks.
Old 06-11-06, 07:55 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Where r u seeing this? I can't find a link to model data reflecting that. Thanks.
See mid-size premium car category below :

Old 06-11-06, 08:00 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexArazzo
See mid-size premium car category below :
Thanks but the GS isn't mentioned at all. If it is in that category then it's below the ES330 (which won) and to me it seems pretty pointless comparing the ES330 and GS.
Old 06-11-06, 08:07 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

Thanks but the GS isn't mentioned at all. If it is in that category then it's below the ES330 (which won) and to me it seems pretty pointless comparing the ES330 and GS.
I think they go by size. I think they consider both ES & GS as mid-size & the GS isn't in the top 3.
This is a survey about quality/defects, so I think they group them together regardless whether they are RWD or FWD/AWD & how sporty they are.
Old 06-11-06, 08:18 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexArazzo
I think they go by size. I think they consider both ES & GS as mid-size & the GS isn't in the top 3.
This is a survey about quality/defects, so I think they group them together regardless whether they are RWD or FWD/AWD & how sporty they are.
Right and I think this points out how weak these surveys are. The GS and ES have quite a different 'feature set' and with all the gadgets on the GS maybe the old adage is true - "more to go wrong" - I don't know.

But comparing the ES and the Infiniti M seems pretty ridiculous too.

Looking at the 'large car' category also seems strange - the Hyundai Azera is 'large'? Could have fooled me when I looked at it! And a Maxima coming in 3rd? Uh, right.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 06-11-06 at 08:22 PM.
Old 06-12-06, 04:55 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Looking at the 'large car' category also seems strange - the Hyundai Azera is 'large'? Could have fooled me when I looked at it! And a Maxima coming in 3rd? Uh, right.

[]
The definition of a " large " car, of course, varies as much as the person speaking it, but the OFFICIAL definition of subcompact, small, medium, and large, and truck, is classed by the EPA based on interior volume, not exterior dimensions. For instance, the Toyota Prius, despite being fairly small on the outside, is EPA-classified as a " medium " sized car because of its interior. Now, here's something even more strange: The Subaru Legacy is EPA classified as a regular passenger car.....the Outback, which is mechancally identical except for slightly different suspension and wheels and more ground clearance, is considered a "truck". Go figure.
Old 06-12-06, 08:55 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

props to lexus, read the ratings and results, and damn toyota/lexus really put their names everywhere. that's so crazy!!!!!

not sure if anyone mentioned, but with the new rating methods, mb is below industry average (as usual), and bmw drops way down?! boy that's not encouraging at all....

and between porsche and lexus, i think they both deserve the top. i know several people with porsche. if you talk about initial quality, they are both really good. and 91 and 93, when it comes to statistic i think that's small enough of a margin
Old 06-12-06, 09:07 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rominl
and between porsche and lexus, i think they both deserve the top. i know several people with porsche. if you talk about initial quality, they are both really good. and 91 and 93, when it comes to statistic i think that's small enough of a margin
Generally true. Porsche doesn't build junk, although early Boxsters had a lot of teething problems, especially with the power-operated top.
Old 06-13-06, 08:09 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nate579
I think it's unfair comparison, because most porche owners drive their car on the weekends and don't really drive them hard. Lexus owners use theirs as a daily driver. Also porche is a low volume manufacturer. Lexus sells at lest 3-4 times as many. But I heard nothing but good things about the reliability of porches.
Are you kidding me? You think the average lexus car gets beat on harder than the average Porsche. Lemme tell ya... people don't buy a Porsche to drive it like a grandpa.
Old 06-13-06, 02:10 PM
nate579
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Threxx
Are you kidding me? You think the average lexus car gets beat on harder than the average Porsche. Lemme tell ya... people don't buy a Porsche to drive it like a grandpa.
Like I said, "Here in the D.C. area", I know at least 8 porche 911 and 2 cayman owners. Driving in around the DC area all my life. Most porsche drivers are in the car for prestige and not for it's power and handling abilities. You see them at night in Georgetown or cruising the beltway on the weekend, but haulin *** down the fast lane never. In rush hour traffic rarely. On amateur circuits never, mostly in the garage waiting for the weekend cruise. The typical DC owners have 1 or 2 other commute cars to beat up on. Spend one day in DC rush hour and you will see where I am coming from. Lexus are in line at the light porsche are in the garages. Now other cities like Miami, L.A. Las Vegas. Well that's a different story. They do get more use in those cities, but not here on the Capitol beltway.
Old 06-13-06, 02:17 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nate579
Like I said, "Here in the D.C. area", I know at least 8 porche 911 and 2 cayman owners. Driving in around the DC area all my life. Most porsche drivers are in the car for prestige and not for it's power and handling abilities. You see them at night in Georgetown or cruising the beltway on the weekend, but haulin *** down the fast lane never. In rush hour traffic rarely. On amateur circuits never, mostly in the garage waiting for the weekend cruise. The typical DC owners have 1 or 2 other commute cars to beat up on. Spend one day in DC rush hour and you will see where I am coming from. Lexus are in line at the light porsche are in the garages. Now other cities like Miami, L.A. Las Vegas. Well that's a different story. They do get more use in those cities, but not here on the Capitol beltway.
I'm not saying that Porsches get beat on as consistantly as, say, Camaros and Mustangs, but think about the average Lexus driver. The people on this board are not normal Lexus drivers. We mod them, we race them, we beat on them. I know people who've modded their Dodge Caravans to the point they run 12s in the 1/4-mile... people who've taken Lincoln Towncars and made them run 11s. But it sure isn't representative of the norm. Normally luxury car makes; especially Lexus when compared to BMW or Infiniti, are driven more for luxury than they are for performance, and more by the older crowd than by the younger crowd.

It's all a question of averages. And we are on one extreme end of that 'average', here on this board.
Old 06-13-06, 02:26 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,310 Likes on 1,409 Posts

Post moved to Car Chat... Please put all non-model specific discussions such as this one in the car chat forum, thanks

Oh, and as someone (not in the DC area ) who has both a Porsche and a Lexus in their garage, the Porsche is most definitely driven harder. Has been very reliable as well.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 06-13-06 at 02:30 PM.
Old 06-13-06, 02:53 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm pretty sure this survey was not limited to the DC area, so that is irrelevant.

Quick Reply: Lexus and Toyota Together Capture 11 of 19 Initial Quality Model Awards JD Power!!!