Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Shiftyworld wants to prevent extinction of manual transmission

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-06, 07:54 AM
adidosc
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
The main 'advantage' of a stick is to allow the driver to be more involved in the driving experience and feel more of what's going on, which some people like.

But that's completely the opposite of Lexus' philosophy in general though and look how successful they are. Sure BMW has stick in all models except the 7, but I bet in the US they account for relatively little sales. It's more marketing / image than actual consumption.
well, the main thing i was going towards is not necessarily if there is a performance advantage, but the fact that there will always be people like me who feel you are just so more connected to the car in a true manual rather than a DSG or whatever kind of tranny they put in. life just isn't the same w/o a clutch pedal.
Old 06-10-06, 08:01 AM
Technics
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by adidosc
life just isn't the same w/o a clutch pedal.
agreed.

I understand some cars are faster with a semi-manual, or whatever it is like the new 911 Turbo but I'd still opt for the manual.

As far as traffic, I've been bumper to bumper in NYC for hours and I really don't mind the stick. It's like second nature.

I like to be in control of the car, pretty soon these cars are going to start driving themselves