Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Shiftyworld wants to prevent extinction of manual transmission

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-06, 11:10 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 222 Likes on 150 Posts
Default Shiftyworld wants to prevent extinction of manual transmission

June 9, 2006

Coldwater, Michigan - An organization of motorists with the passion to shift the manual transmission is making an assertive move against the world going completely automatic. The new Shiftyworld community brings together car lovers who stick staunchly by the interactive process of shifting gears manually.

"The human love affair with the automobile was born out of a yearning to take control and be free, and that is embodied in the very act of shifting," says Greg Bruder, Shiftyworld Founder, and lifelong manual transmission lover.

In America and Japan, cars with manual transmissions account for around 10 percent of new car volumes, a huge decrease from a few decades ago. In Europe, where manuals are most common, increasing numbers of automatics are being sold, even in sport models from Audi and BMW.

"Trends now indicate that manufacturers want to eliminate the traditional manual transmission in new cars and trucks," says Bruder. "Action now can prevent that looming extinction from happening."

Information can be found at www.shiftyworld.com.
Old 06-09-06, 03:32 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I understand where these people are coming from, but increasing population, urban / suburban sprawl, traffic density, and above all, the increasing effiency of automatics, automanuals and transmissions that combine the best of both worlds like the VW / Audi DSG are working strongly against them. Auto companies are not getting further and further away from traditional manuals for nothing. There are a number of reasons for it. Increasing computer control of some transmissions like on advanced hybrids is also working against traditional manuals.
Soon, and not without reason, conventional manuals will be found only on bare-bones, entry-level econocars where the main objective is to keep the price down, or on a few traditional " drivers" cars like the BMW M-series.
Old 06-09-06, 08:39 AM
saleem
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Manual cars are actually very easy to drive. It takes atleast two to three weeks of practice to be very comfortable. I dont mind driving a stickshift in heavy traffic its just that most people dont like the first time experience and get worried and scared and dont wanna do it again. Im in love with my manual.
Old 06-09-06, 08:45 AM
adidosc
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would be heartbroken if the manual left, which i don't think will happen competely anyway. there will always be SOME market for manuals, which will probably end up being only high end performance oriented cars. the DSG is nice, but you just don't feel connected to the car like you do in a true manual car. all i know is in one way or another, i will always have a few manuals around.
Old 06-09-06, 09:33 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 222 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by saleem
Manual cars are actually very easy to drive. It takes atleast two to three weeks of practice to be very comfortable. I dont mind driving a stickshift in heavy traffic its just that most people dont like the first time experience and get worried and scared and dont wanna do it again. Im in love with my manual.
I agree with you 100%. When you are used to it & good at it, you don't even think of shifting even in heavy traffic.
You can get your mind off it listening to music in traffic, talking to your passenger or think of something else, & the shifting comes naturally.
It's when you keep thinking it's a nuisance or a pain(for those with joint problems may have a real issue here ) that it becomes a problem.
Old 06-09-06, 09:36 AM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

My current car is the first auto I've owned. I actually like it in a lot of ways, but I find overall it just makes for lazy, uninspired driving (imo, of course). My next car will be a manual. Despite the issues with hills and traffic I enjoy it more 95% of the time, so I can deal with the small nuisances.
Old 06-09-06, 10:07 AM
Nas
Driver

I still need to learn stick. I've driven it twice, for very short instances. Had trouble, so my confidence is shot. But, I really wanna learn as my current dream car is a 3 Series w/MT.
Old 06-09-06, 11:08 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Yep, I agree. I drive my manual car in city traffic almost everyday. Its normal to me. I like that clutch work. But whats funny is when I drive an auto car I ALWAYS look for the clutch upon start up. Plus the stationary gear selector messes me up at times too. lol

However I was so pleased with the DSG that I would have no problem at all trading in for it. I read on an Audi Forum that many ppl are doing exactly that and are very happy with it.

Last edited by magneto112; 06-09-06 at 11:12 AM.
Old 06-09-06, 11:26 AM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

I think I could go for a DSG, but right now it's the only thing close (imo) to a manual. SMG is nice, but too notchy and abrupt in anything but the 6-series. I am sure we'll start seeing more DGS-esque option soon, but even so I don't think they can replace the pure joy and connected feeling you get when you can really open up in a manual.
Old 06-09-06, 12:01 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

My uncle, cousins and I are attempting to bring get a VW Beetle (actually looking for a pre-1975) one down here due to some strange plate registration and tax issues in Mexico.

What I want to do with it (will be my second car) is do a hand clutch. We plan to put a turbo in the thing at some point and given how fast these little cars can go with forced induction, I do not want my foot toucing the clutch.

Will keep you all posted if we can get it to work.
Old 06-09-06, 04:47 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by LexArazzo
June 9, 2006

Coldwater, Michigan - An organization of motorists with the passion to shift the manual transmission is making an assertive move against the world going completely automatic. The new Shiftyworld community brings together car lovers who stick staunchly by the interactive process of shifting gears manually.

"The human love affair with the automobile was born out of a yearning to take control and be free, and that is embodied in the very act of shifting," says Greg Bruder, Shiftyworld Founder, and lifelong manual transmission lover.

In America and Japan, cars with manual transmissions account for around 10 percent of new car volumes, a huge decrease from a few decades ago. In Europe, where manuals are most common, increasing numbers of automatics are being sold, even in sport models from Audi and BMW.

"Trends now indicate that manufacturers want to eliminate the traditional manual transmission in new cars and trucks," says Bruder. "Action now can prevent that looming extinction from happening."

Information can be found at www.shiftyworld.com.
These same people have a website promoting people NOT to use condoms, saying all natural is the way to go

Old 06-09-06, 05:09 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

I'm a shifting fan. I cant wait to be able to buy my next car... which WILL HAVE A MANUAL TRANSMISSION.

I am now a shifty member!
Old 06-09-06, 09:32 PM
adidosc
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
These same people have a website promoting people NOT to use condoms, saying all natural is the way to go
you sure that isn't www.1sicklex.com?
Old 06-10-06, 07:14 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,413 Likes on 1,582 Posts

Originally Posted by adidosc
i would be heartbroken if the manual left, which i don't think will happen competely anyway. there will always be SOME market for manuals, which will probably end up being only high end performance oriented cars.
Even Formula One cars aren't manual any more so there's no performance advantage in fact it's a disadvantage.

The main 'advantage' of a stick is to allow the driver to be more involved in the driving experience and feel more of what's going on, which some people like.

But that's completely the opposite of Lexus' philosophy in general though and look how successful they are. Sure BMW has stick in all models except the 7, but I bet in the US they account for relatively little sales. It's more marketing / image than actual consumption.

Europe still has more sticks than the U.S. but historically they have because vehicles with sticks have been cheaper, lighter, more fuel efficient, important things there.

But they're getting fat and lazy like Americans so autos are on the march there too.

all i know is in one way or another, i will always have a few manuals around.
Always is a long time. At some point the only stick you'll be able to get will be an antique.
Old 06-10-06, 07:17 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,413 Likes on 1,582 Posts

Originally Posted by LexArazzo
I agree with you 100%. When you are used to it & good at it, you don't even think of shifting even in heavy traffic. You can get your mind off it listening to music in traffic, talking to your passenger or think of something else, & the shifting comes naturally.
Well that's a matter of opinion. I was/am certainly decent with a stick, but I got utterly sick of it in stop and go traffic. Music didn't help. In the end I just thought it was ridiculous doing all that shifting in slow traffic.

I would probably get a stick only for a 'pure fun' car - a weekend car which I could drive on the empty roads where I now live.

Quick Reply: Shiftyworld wants to prevent extinction of manual transmission