Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Door dings

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-06, 05:59 PM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by e-man
You could also add to your list that people with 2 door cars are more likely to cause a ding than those with 4 door cars. The doors on 2 door cars are bigger and swing out further.
That's why I'm super cautious. But yeah Guys made some valid points about the Door Dingers . By the way I got one on my door last weekend . I guess I gotta do that vacuum thing.
Old 06-11-06, 06:13 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

http://www.kitwax.com/html/kitProducts.htm

SCRATCH-OUT will often take the paint discoloration out out of door dings ( the different-color blob of paint another car doors's impact leaves ) and will leave your own paint looking like new again....but it will not take out things that have gone all the way through the paint, nor, of course, will it un-bend the sheet metal in the dent.
Old 06-11-06, 06:21 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Parking lots should be equiped with cameras to track people who hit and run....i think this might deter some hit and runners and people who dont want to take responsibility for their rudeness. My car is covered by those damn dents....
Old 06-12-06, 01:57 PM
BobsGX
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Technically, causing damage (door ding) to a vehicle is criminal mischief. But I doubt anyone was ever prosecuted for it. So if you know who did it, you could file a police report and follow it up.
Old 06-13-06, 04:25 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by BobsGX
Technically, causing damage (door ding) to a vehicle is criminal mischief. But I doubt anyone was ever prosecuted for it. So if you know who did it, you could file a police report and follow it up.
I guess then we're going to prosecute the walnuts and acorns that drop out of trees and ding up hoods and roofs.
Old 06-13-06, 04:55 AM
jwa
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I guess then we're going to prosecute the walnuts and acorns that drop out of trees and ding up hoods and roofs.
Well..technically, the tree was there first, so unless you had it's permission to park there, you fully deserve whatever you get. Maybe if you drop your charges against the acorns, the tree will drop it's trespassing charges against you.
Old 06-13-06, 02:56 PM
LiLS
Lexus Champion

happened to our lexus once, and we were all sittin in the car when they dinged us hard in there ford suv, so we smashed the windows :|
Old 06-14-06, 11:54 AM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by e-man
You could also add to your list that people with 2 door cars are more likely to cause a ding than those with 4 door cars. The doors on 2 door cars are bigger and swing out further.
While this is a very valid point, some cars have HUGE rear doors and are just as dangerous as coupes.

The new MB S550 has rear doors that are seemingly 20 feet long. Open a door on one and you'll see what I mean. I almost took out a rear window on a smaller car with it. The rear doors on the S550 protrude farther out than the doors on my SC300 and you know how big those things are.

Now yes, an owner of this car would be careful and conscious of this. But back seat passengers are usually not the owners. Friends, colleagues and children (all standard backseat riders) would easily underestimate that ping-pong table of a rear door and slam it into another car. I almost did and I'm incredibly conscious of door ding avoidance.

The rear legroom in that car is rediculous.

As for me, at work I try to park on the end spot and I usually time my arrival in the morning with my co-worker so he takes the spot next to mine. This guarantees no dings. He knows me and my paranoia. When you paint your own car and you see how much sanding, bondo, and more sanding it takes to fill in door dings, you tend to become rather obsessive about it.

Parking ***-first on an end piece that's to your driver side puts your passenger side against the passenger side of the car (bogie ) next to you. This will greatly reduce your chance of door dings as they usually come from the driver's side. Just playin' the odds.

In malls I park at the very end of the lot where it's 30 spaces all empty. If there's shopping carts around I will take them into the store or curb em up onto an island so they won't roll into the car.

If valet parking is the only option, I will leave. But usually you give them $5 to $20 depending on the place and they let you park it yourself. I've been burned once before with brand new wheels that were curbed. They would not admit fault. I'd imagine they don't give a crap about door dings either especially since they CRAM the cars together and they are always in a hurry. Tight quarters and haste is a guaranteed door ding.

It's a constant battle. It works tho. 2+ years in Miami traffic (Voted #1 Crappiest Place to Drive! ) and my new paint job is still ding-free.