Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: What car magazines do you read, and Why?
Consumer Reports
18.18%
Car and Driver
58.44%
Road and Track
33.77%
Automobile
27.27%
Autoweek
19.48%
Motor Trend
35.06%
Other
32.47%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

What car magazines do you read the most/subscribe, and why?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-06, 07:36 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I'm not exactly sure if this is what he means, but it is no secret that most of these magazines are quite heavily slanted towards acceleration, 0-60 times, high-G handling, etc.... and put a lot of emphasis on high performance at the expense of other automotive virtues. So naturally they are going to be attracted towards brands like BMW, Porsche and some of the newer Audis that have traditionaly emphasized performance at the expense of ride comfort.
Actually I think overall enthusiast values seem to be more important to them (including ride, handling, road feel, etc). Of late, the car with the fastest acceleration does not always win - in fact more often than not, the slowest car has been wining. Many of these credible mags (C&D, Autoweek, etc.) seem to be looking at the whole picture (sans reliability) when determining the winner.
Old 07-06-06, 08:14 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 160 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by doug_999
Actually I think overall enthusiast values seem to be more important to them (including ride, handling, road feel, etc). Of late, the car with the fastest acceleration does not always win - in fact more often than not, the slowest car has been wining. Many of these credible mags (C&D, Autoweek, etc.) seem to be looking at the whole picture (sans reliability) when determining the winner.
in fact, not only that, we know that some cars win even if they are broken down and prove to be serious safety hazard :-)
(hint IS vs 3 series comparo)
Old 07-06-06, 08:35 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by spwolf
in fact, not only that, we know that some cars win even if they are broken down and prove to be serious safety hazard :-)
(hint IS vs 3 series comparo)
Yea, car breaks down on them and still wins - tells me it is so superior to the IS that it was worth the danger. I like that.
Old 07-06-06, 10:21 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 160 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by doug_999
Yea, car breaks down on them and still wins - tells me it is so superior to the IS that it was worth the danger. I like that.
it sure does. I bet you get copy of CD where your BMW wins the comparo in your glovebox, in case your cars breaks down, and you have to show why you bought something that needs weekly service

:-).
Old 07-08-06, 11:13 AM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by spwolf
it sure does. I bet you get copy of CD where your BMW wins the comparo in your glovebox, in case your cars breaks down, and you have to show why you bought something that needs weekly service

:-).
Why do you keep thinking that BMWs are so unreliable? Do you hate the brand that much that you make this stuff up?

BMW's are above average per JD Power (in long term reliability) and Consumer Reports recommends a bunch of them as well (and they don't recommend cars that have below average reliability).
Old 07-08-06, 03:30 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Doug has a point. Though the electronics in BMW's are second-rate and the I-Drive can be a PITA to use, the rest of the systems in these cars are more or less average in reliability. Consumer Reports DOES have several of them on the Recommended List...all except the notoriously trouble-prone 7 series ( which also has the most frustrating I-Drive ) and the new 3- series, which is too new to have compiled any reliability record. But I personally don't like most of BMW's new products myself, especially compared to the last-generation ones they replace. They still retain the excellent steering feel BMW is known for, but the general fit-and-finish, body / sheet metal solidness, and general build quality, to me, has headed south.

Anyhow, we got a little off-topic.....back to car magazines.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-08-06 at 03:34 PM.
Old 07-10-06, 11:12 AM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

I read Car and Driver and Motor Trend the most.
Old 04-16-07, 10:09 AM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Car Magazines - What Are U Reading And/Or Subscribed Too

I got my "Renew Your Subscription" offer in the mail for DUB magazine which was close to $40 for one year. That was a little to much for me considering that I'm getting a little bored of it and seek more than just chrome and bling. I wanna start a subscription again with another magazine which highlights everyday cars you and I see on the road foreign & domestic and talk about what's under the hood and behind the wheels. I had Car & Driver before but maybe there's something else better.
Old 04-16-07, 12:44 PM
gshb
Lead Lap

yes, there is only one magazine in the entire world worth paying for at all. Top Gear. enough said.
Old 04-16-07, 01:22 PM
sleeper408

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

As a gift, my gf got me a subscriptions to Road and Track, and Modifiend Luxuries and Exotics.
Old 04-16-07, 01:24 PM
LexFather

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ight=magazines

*** Threads Merged ***

Last edited by Gojirra99; 04-17-07 at 10:58 PM.

Old 04-16-07, 01:25 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 362 Posts

VIP Style

Issue cost is like ~$9 and a gallon or so of gas when I pick it up in Gardena. Well, I usually have lunch and do some shopping at Marukai so it's about $50 each time I head out. Geeze...that's an expensive mag.

Maybe I would be better off paying to have it mailed to me at ~$2.50/issue.
Old 04-16-07, 02:02 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

car and driver road and track, motortrend, Performance Auto and Sound, and occasionally top gear when i get the chance to pick it up from borders. ($10.25 an issue is a BIT(H!)
Old 04-16-07, 02:13 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

With ClubLexus, who needs car mags??

I used to subscribe to C&D, MT, R&T, and Automobile for years then someone invented the internet which rendered magizines out of date/old news before they even hit newstands.
Old 04-16-07, 05:55 PM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by JLSC4
With ClubLexus, who needs car mags??

I used to subscribe to C&D, MT, R&T, and Automobile for years then someone invented the internet which rendered magizines out of date/old news before they even hit newstands.
Well a guy like me who wants to read something worthwhile on my commutes to and from work. CL is the answer when I'm at work and at home.
Might end up trying out Automobile magazine. A friend let me borrow the last two issues and it looks to be worth giving it a shot.

Quick Reply: What car magazines do you read the most/subscribe, and why?