Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: What car magazines do you read, and Why?
Consumer Reports
18.18%
Car and Driver
58.44%
Road and Track
33.77%
Automobile
27.27%
Autoweek
19.48%
Motor Trend
35.06%
Other
32.47%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

What car magazines do you read the most/subscribe, and why?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-07, 04:29 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
At the same time, I've discussed magazine test mules with people whom I trust, and they tell me the manufacturers are notorious for things like empty catalytic converters and "special" engine computers to ensure they beat the competition. FWIW, no Supra after that red '93 hardtop ever tested better than 13.5 seconds at 106 mph. That's what padded means.

And get Consumer Reports if you want an unbiased (but unscientific) rating of how car owners are doing with their cars. (It's unscientific because the ratings come from soliciting CR readers, not the general population - to be fair you would need a general cross-section, and CR doesn't have that.) Still, I do look at their ratings as a reasonable guide for what to expect.

Consumer Reports does not accept donated vehicles (or advertising) from manufacturers for their tests.....they have a group of buyers who go out and negotiate at new-car dealerships, just like you or I would. They then go over the delivered cars and check for defects (just like I do when I help someone shop), and repair them in their shop. They break the vehicles in for some 2000 miles, change the oil, and then run their tests. So, when you read about a vehicle in CR, it is THEIR view, THEIR experience....no one else's.

I'm with you, BTW, on Patrick Bedard at Car and Driver...he is a sharp guy. So are Csaba Csede and John Phillips. But not Brock Yates...IMO he makes an ape look smart. The best thing that ever happened to C&D was him leaving a few months ago. Now, if they could only get the old type format back.......
Old 04-18-07, 06:04 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,982 Likes on 2,410 Posts

I know CR does it's own testing. I'm referring to the annual "report card" they have. I find those far more useful for what I want to know.

Yates is an iconoclast. So am I. That's what I like about him.

Another really sharp guy is Kevin Cameron from Cycle World. His TDC column is always a great read.
Old 04-20-07, 10:39 PM
KevinGS
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by doug_999
C&D and Autoweek
C&D because what they like about a car is what I like and what annoys them also annoys me. Plus their writers are top notch.

Autoweek cause it is a quick read and has lots of up to date info.
I'm with Doug 100%.

I used to subscribe to lots of magazines...but now I am down to just two, Car and Driver and Autoweek, for the exact same reasons as Doug.

Plus, I love the actual writing in Car and Driver. Their humor is also my humor, I laugh throughout the magazine...the sarcasm and wit is classic.

Motor Trend is boring...their reviews are so vanilla, and I hardly get much out of Motor Trend review.

Road & Track is better, but I don't like their layout, and not enough reviews. Too much Track in Road&Track.

All the European magazines I'll skim when I go to Barnes and Noble, except the Porsche ones. I actually will sit and read the Porsche magazines.

Last edited by KevinGS; 04-20-07 at 10:49 PM.
Old 04-21-07, 10:37 AM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK it's settled. I've gone back to C & D after several years and got a good deal with the subscription. All the others I'll skim through at the newsstand or bookstore.
Old 10-07-07, 07:46 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I've subscribed to all the mags listed above at one point or another and still pick one up every once in awhile. However, they are sub-par IMO when compared to:
EVO-funny as a Lexus owner, I should hate this mag, b/c they just cater to sport, but simply the best pics and top notch writing and they have access to many supercars we get like a year later.
Sports Car International-I cannot RECOMMEND this American mag enough, our version of EVO and more hardcore, they have NEVER tested any SUV or truck. GREAT pics and fantastic writers. Up to date and they simply drive cars the other American mags ignore or can't get access too. They seem to be PURE and not worry about sales.
CAR-like EVO, brutally honest but sometimes, not sure why I get it as its like EVO but not as good.
Top Gear-Clarkson and company are brutal but give a good idea of the car, possibly the most descriptive. Odd articles too, which are different. Just reading Clarkson is worth the buy.

Car and Driver
, IMO, does have good writers and articles, I like Yates, Bernard and Csabre. However some of their conclusions and usual bias is ridiculous sometimes. They can bash a car, then make it a 10 best winner. They can love a car, then 2 months later, it finishes 5th in a comparo. Just weird.

Motor Trend, IMO, toilet paper.

Automobile,IMO, more toilet paper. I like their editorials sometimes.

Autoweek, as Bit said, it comes weekly which is cool but too brief and still black and white pics?

Excellence,
its a Porsche only mag and I love it.

Total 911, a new 911 only mag, and I love it.

In all honesty, even the crap mags, I read and you can catch me at Barnes and Nobles maybe 3 times a week.
Nothings changed....

Old 10-07-07, 08:11 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Nothings changed....
Well, a couple of things have.

Yates is gone at Car & Driver.

Motor Trend, I agree, is toilet paper, but, today, goes down slightly cleaner toilets.

And my comments don't appear as often in Autoweek as they used to years ago.....I spend much of my time, of course, with CAR CHAT
Old 10-08-07, 03:19 PM
LexFather

^^^^ lol, good points.

Old 10-09-07, 07:47 AM
L&E
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Modified Luxury & Exotics .... haha!

http://www.modifiedle.com/issuepreview/archive/issue21/
Old 02-15-09, 05:25 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts
Default what car magazines do you read and subscribe to????

I am a bit of a car magazine junkie. I subscribe to 14 magazines. I was wondering how much of a magazine junkie I am relative to other CL members

Here is my list:

1. Road & Track
2. Car & Driver
3. Motor Trend
4. Automobile
5. CAR
6. EVO
7. Super Street
8. Modified magazine
9. Nissan sport
10 European car
11. Import Tuner
12. D sport
13. sport compact car ( just ended)
14. Modified Luxury & exotic ( Just died as well)
Old 02-15-09, 05:46 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I read R&T and C&D regularly, sometimes Automobile. I used to read Autoweek regularly (they published a lot of my comments in the Fast Poll and Letters sections), but not quite so much any more. I also read some local newspaper auto-write-ups and watch Motorweek's TV show. I know John Davis, the show's host, but not very well......we chat sometimes at auto shows.

Motor Trend, IMO, used to be a joke. It's a little better now, but still, IMO, not one of the better car magazines....I generally don't read it unless it has an article or a comparison I'm specifically interested in.

I don't let any of these publications influence my own car reviews, however. When I do a review, I call it exactly like I see it.....not necessarily how car mags and the auto press does.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-15-09 at 05:52 PM.
Old 02-15-09, 06:08 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,253 Likes on 1,367 Posts

We get

Evo
Racecar Engineering
Race Engine Technology
Excellence
Panorama
Roundel
European Car (as substitute for remainder of ML&E, will not renew)
Grassroots Motorsports

Some subscriptions come as part of Porsche, BMW, etc clubs

Think we have had similar threads in the past.
Old 02-15-09, 06:15 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Think we have had similar threads in the past.
You're right Dave; we have had a couple of threads on this (I started one myself), but that was long ago. Opinions might have changed in the meantime.....although, to be honest, mine haven't much.
Old 02-15-09, 06:31 PM
LexFather

I can't find a past thread. Some I pay for, some I pick up at B&N every month, some I subscribe too for free.

1. EVO
2. Car
3. Car and Driver
4. Excellence
5. Top Gear
6. Total 911
7. Garage Styles

I do pick up any mag that has any Lexus related info inside. So that can be anything from Modified to a comparo in a Jag mag. I've picked up Forza sometimes and Porsche mags depending on what they cover.

RIP Sports Car International, IMO the best mag you could find.

Old 02-15-09, 06:33 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

C&D, R&T, CR, Excellence delivered to my house. But I also read at bookstore Automobile and MT and others. I love to read automotive, business, ski, tennis, motorcycle and bicycle periodicals.
Old 02-15-09, 06:57 PM
darkdream
Lexus Champion

Import tuner, d sport, performance audio and sound, European tuner, top gear, automobile, evo, European car, winding road

Quick Reply: What car magazines do you read the most/subscribe, and why?