Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: What car magazines do you read, and Why?
Consumer Reports
18.18%
Car and Driver
58.44%
Road and Track
33.77%
Automobile
27.27%
Autoweek
19.48%
Motor Trend
35.06%
Other
32.47%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

What car magazines do you read the most/subscribe, and why?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-09, 06:58 PM
oski83
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I subscribe to Import Tuner, MT and Turbo although I received a noticed postcard they were ending printing Beside these I usually buy Modified or others at B&N
Old 02-15-09, 07:11 PM
herbvdh
Lexus Test Driver

FLying Lady , Modern Lady both Rolls Royce Owners Club http://www.rroc.org/ and CurrnetEVents http://www.eaaev.org/ I am a member of both.
Old 02-15-09, 07:19 PM
josh_317
Driver School Candidate

Come on... No ones mentioned Heavy Hitters yet????
Old 02-15-09, 09:45 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the models and cars magazine too.
Old 02-15-09, 09:56 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I forgot performance audio and sound and grassroots motorsports. That puts me at 16 magazines I subscribe to. I am the biggest magazine junkie so far
Old 02-16-09, 01:58 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Car & Driver and Excellence always Grassroots Motorsports & any Porsche mag if relevant. Road & Track sometimes, Automobile, Motor Trend if bored.

Passionately hate recent changes at MT, automobile, C&D and others I've forgotten
Old 02-16-09, 02:55 PM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

R&T is my current favorite. It used to be C&D but not anymore after the one magically "must have" point that broke the tie between the 2006 330i/IS350 comparo.

MT seems desperate in my opinion since some of its comparo results are just so out of the left field like they choose the 328i over the G35. I think they just want some attention...
Old 02-16-09, 03:40 PM
2002GGPIS3
Lexus Test Driver

Let's see one of my favorite things is reading car magazines.
Subscribe to- Autoweek, Car & Driver, sport compact car(died)
Pick up often- turbo(died), sports car international(died), modified, import tuner, excellance, bimmer, grassroot motorsports, european car, eurotuner, forza, corvette, gm high tech performance, road & track, sports car market, dupont registry.
read often, but to pricey to buy( british)- Banzi, japanese performance, performance vw, performance bmw, 911, gt porsche, 911 and porsche world, classic car, octane, top gear, evo etc..
Yeah, I spend four hours at barnes and noble reading car magazines, but I love the pictures, info and yes I love many diffrent types of cars.
Old 02-16-09, 03:48 PM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Wink

M/T
CAR
Modified Luxury & Exotics was my all-time fav!
European Car
Old 02-16-09, 06:20 PM
LexFather

Whoever found and merged this deserves a raise

Old 02-16-09, 08:02 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

I am still the biggest magazine junkie on this forum so far. My wife reads books non stop. I read any and every car magazine I ca get my hands on. If I had to name my single favorite American car magazine it would have to be Road & Track and for Europe it would be EVO. I have a waiting room in my office that I packed with car magazines, but got to many complaints from the females so now it half cars and half National Geographic, etc. I actually have double subscriptions to Car & driver, Road & Track, and Motor trend for the office. This actually puts me at 19 magazine subscriptions total, or 16 for the house
Old 02-16-09, 08:30 PM
LA-IS350
Driver School Candidate

imma magazine junkie, most of them i find free deals on or buy them from the guys who knock on my door tryin to clean up their junk which I support.

This is just some of them I got laying around in the room here, our spare bedroom is full of them.

Hemmings Sports and Hemmings Motor News (thats two different mags) Dupont Registry, Road & Track, Car & Driverm, Vette, Super Chevy, Import Tuner, Super Street, Street Rodder, Popular Hot Rodding, Muscle Mustangs & Fast Fords , Sport Compact Car, Evo, Automobile, Motor Trend, Turbo, Modified Luxury & Extics (now canceled) and Modified Magazine, Honda Tuning, Car Craft , Autoweek, Evo, Heavy hitters, Grassroots , European Car

I get a buncha truck mags too that should count Four Wheel & Off Road Truck Trend, Truckin', Lowrider, Off Road

I think thats all but know I missed some Nascar and big wheel truck stuff I like.

Yes, I always got to go pick up my mail in person at the apartment office before you ask.
Old 02-16-09, 08:54 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

I guess we are the biggest magazine Freaks. I am not a fan of American Cars or Trucks in general so you got me on the few extra. I forgot I get Turbo and Heavy Hitters as well. They are not my favorites .
Old 02-16-09, 09:00 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Whoever found and merged this deserves a raise
They are not the same question. I am asking how many magazines people subscribe to. I would not give a raise I would give him the day off with NO pay considering they merged my thread with one from 2007.
Old 02-16-09, 10:14 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Well, a couple of things have.

Yates is gone at Car & Driver.

Motor Trend, I agree, is toilet paper, but, today, goes down slightly cleaner toilets.

And my comments don't appear as often in Autoweek as they used to years ago.....I spend much of my time, of course, with CAR CHAT
Originally Posted by I8ABMR
They are not the same question. I am asking how many magazines people subscribe to. I would not give a raise I would give him the day off with NO pay considering they merged my thread with one from 2007.
They were related, thus they were merged. People even said "we have had threads like this". Its not personal, we merge related threads or reposts. My list hasn't changed.

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I've subscribed to all the mags listed above at one point or another and still pick one up every once in awhile. However, they are sub-par IMO when compared to:
EVO-funny as a Lexus owner, I should hate this mag, b/c they just cater to sport, but simply the best pics and top notch writing and they have access to many supercars we get like a year later.
Sports Car International-I cannot RECOMMEND this American mag enough, our version of EVO and more hardcore, they have NEVER tested any SUV or truck. GREAT pics and fantastic writers. Up to date and they simply drive cars the other American mags ignore or can't get access too. They seem to be PURE and not worry about sales.
CAR-like EVO, brutally honest but sometimes, not sure why I get it as its like EVO but not as good.
Top Gear-Clarkson and company are brutal but give a good idea of the car, possibly the most descriptive. Odd articles too, which are different. Just reading Clarkson is worth the buy.

Car and Driver
, IMO, does have good writers and articles, I like Yates, Bernard and Csabre. However some of their conclusions and usual bias is ridiculous sometimes. They can bash a car, then make it a 10 best winner. They can love a car, then 2 months later, it finishes 5th in a comparo. Just weird.

Motor Trend, IMO, toilet paper.

Automobile,IMO, more toilet paper. I like their editorials sometimes.

Autoweek, as Bit said, it comes weekly which is cool but too brief and still black and white pics?

Excellence,
its a Porsche only mag and I love it.

Total 911, a new 911 only mag, and I love it.

In all honesty, even the crap mags, I read and you can catch me at Barnes and Nobles maybe 3 times a week.
Nothings changed....

Quick Reply: What car magazines do you read the most/subscribe, and why?