Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: What car magazines do you read, and Why?
Consumer Reports
18.18%
Car and Driver
58.44%
Road and Track
33.77%
Automobile
27.27%
Autoweek
19.48%
Motor Trend
35.06%
Other
32.47%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

What car magazines do you read the most/subscribe, and why?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-06, 05:09 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts
Default What car magazines do you read the most/subscribe, and why?

What car magazines do you regularly read, and why?
Old 06-12-06, 05:24 AM
videcormeum
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I stick to CR. Occasionally I'll pick up Motor Trend or one of the others you have listed but only to check out a cover, usually only to find the same old story inside.

M.
Old 06-12-06, 06:48 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,618 Posts

AutoWeek and Car & Driver.

AutoWeek is up to date and a quick read.
Car & Driver has nice pictures and some fun comparisons even though I don't take them too seriously.

I only really keep Car & Driver because it's probably less than $1 an issue to subscribe now.
Old 06-12-06, 07:28 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I read them all. The more info (good or bad), the better.
Old 06-12-06, 09:59 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

CAR from EU just becuase their pictures are so nice.

I honestly think all the american car magazines are rubbish. If you read one, you read them all. They are pretty much all the same. With that said, I read Car and Driver sometimes. I used to read sport compact car when i had my RSX but they were pretty expensive.
Old 06-12-06, 10:02 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

hmmm....well ever since I became a post who**** 2 years ago , I probably bought 5-6 car magazines in total. And I only bought them because I was about to board an airplane.

I find out about a lot stuff just by browsing the net before they even put it in magazines.

But the magazines that I usually purchase are Automobile, Car and Driver, and Car.

Last edited by magneto112; 06-12-06 at 11:26 AM.
Old 06-12-06, 10:44 AM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Still have subscriptions to C&D, R&T and Motortrend.
Old 06-12-06, 11:01 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I read them all regularly, except Motor Trend, which I have a low opinion of. I find CAR and DRIVER to be probably the most auto-savvy and well-written....Patrick Bedard, especially, is an excellent auto writer. Of all the magazines, CAR and DRIVER has influenced the way I do my own auto reviews the most. ( of course, I'm not a parrot...I have my own style and opinions ) AUTOMOBILE and AUTOWEEK are also excellent publications, but they are not particularly car-saavy. ( AUTOWEEK has printed MANY of my comments over the years )
ROAD and TRACK has some good technical articles and question-and-answer forums, but their overall auto tests and comparisons, IMO are not as good as CAR aand DRIVER's.

But, despite the Four Seasons long-term tests that the enthusiast magazines run, for auto reliability and customer satisfaction ratings, nothing can beat Consumer Reports. I rely on their New-Car Issues every year for the latest in auto reliability patterns, and they are one of my most important sources when I recommend certain vehicles for their reliability.

One thing, in my opinion, that the so-called " enthusiast " magazines could do, though, to vastly improve their articles and columns, is to stop placing so much emphasis on such things as speed, acceleration, high-G cornering, high-bolstered seats, short braking distances, etc....
While many of their auto comparison tests ( especially CAR and DRIVER's ) are quite good, there is so much " sport " in the general direction they take that it almost completely crowds everything else out. This, at least to some extent, explains why they practically worship BMW and Porsche. While aggressive driving has its place in the properly safe environment and under the right conditions, overall there is a whole lot more to being a car enthusiast, IMO, than just race-car-style driving.
Old 06-12-06, 12:01 PM
GS3Tek

Received 168 Likes on 127 Posts

I used to subscribe to almost all of those magazines.

I like the layout, the pictures, the side by side comparo/facts/data... of R & T and Motor Trend. Somehow, they are very close resemblance of each other

Regarding opinions on the picks of any magazines, it is just their own personal opinion so I don't even bother reading those.

I stopped subscribing to those because CL car chat is more than enough for me

Not only that R&T pissed me off b/c they sent me to collection for not paying my subscription when I wrote cancel on their renewal
Old 06-12-06, 12:02 PM
Mwmorph
Driver

Anyone read sprotsd car international? It's bimonthly but I really appreciate the writing in that mag.
Old 06-12-06, 12:10 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 314 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by STIG
CAR from EU just becuase their pictures are so nice.

I honestly think all the american car magazines are rubbish. If you read one, you read them all. They are pretty much all the same. With that said, I read Car and Driver sometimes. I used to read sport compact car when i had my RSX but they were pretty expensive.
I love reading CAR from Europe as well! Excellent magazine. I don't subscribe to it however because the damn thing is so expensive.

I have subscriptions to Car and Driver and Modified Luxury and Exotics. I like the writing style of Car and Driver and love to see the excellents and write-ups in Modified L & E.

I occasionally read the online version of Consumer Reports.
Old 06-12-06, 12:24 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

I like Car, Evo more than the American magazines, but I l also ike Sports Car International. I only buy them occasionally though . . .
Old 06-12-06, 12:43 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Car and Driver all the way. I like the editors Csabe, and Frank and others who are true enthusiasts. I miss Car and Driver television
Old 06-12-06, 03:42 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

C&D and Autoweek
C&D because what they like about a car is what I like and what annoys them also annoys me. Plus their writers are top notch.

Autoweek cause it is a quick read and has lots of up to date info.
Old 06-12-06, 04:44 PM
LexFather

I've subscribed to all the mags listed above at one point or another and still pick one up every once in awhile. However, they are sub-par IMO when compared to:
EVO-funny as a Lexus owner, I should hate this mag, b/c they just cater to sport, but simply the best pics and top notch writing and they have access to many supercars we get like a year later.
Sports Car International-I cannot RECOMMEND this American mag enough, our version of EVO and more hardcore, they have NEVER tested any SUV or truck. GREAT pics and fantastic writers. Up to date and they simply drive cars the other American mags ignore or can't get access too. They seem to be PURE and not worry about sales.
CAR-like EVO, brutally honest but sometimes, not sure why I get it as its like EVO but not as good.
Top Gear-Clarkson and company are brutal but give a good idea of the car, possibly the most descriptive. Odd articles too, which are different. Just reading Clarkson is worth the buy.

Car and Driver
, IMO, does have good writers and articles, I like Yates, Bernard and Csabre. However some of their conclusions and usual bias is ridiculous sometimes. They can bash a car, then make it a 10 best winner. They can love a car, then 2 months later, it finishes 5th in a comparo. Just weird.

Motor Trend, IMO, toilet paper.

Automobile,IMO, more toilet paper. I like their editorials sometimes.

Autoweek, as Bit said, it comes weekly which is cool but too brief and still black and white pics?

Excellence,
its a Porsche only mag and I love it.

Total 911, a new 911 only mag, and I love it.

In all honesty, even the crap mags, I read and you can catch me at Barnes and Nobles maybe 3 times a week.

Quick Reply: What car magazines do you read the most/subscribe, and why?