Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Mercedes Benz & DCX Sued for Failing to Fix World's Most Expensive 'Broken Car"

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-06, 07:18 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

posted earlier in the car chat section
Old 06-14-06, 07:33 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Additionally, according to Johnston, the car's transmission failed to shift properly, the hydraulic jack system failed and the car's window's came unglued. Mercedes ultimately determined that the car suffered from an oil pressure-related engine failure, the plaintiffs allege, but refused to make any repairs.
No oil pressure in a 2-year-old engine, probably from a f * * * ed -oil pump, and M-B won't repair or replace it? On a million-dollar-plus car?

Old 06-14-06, 10:30 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

this is as sad as it can get i am telling you.... mb is so stupid on this one.....

i guess the car now holds another record as well -- most expensive car per mileage driven....
Old 06-15-06, 02:51 AM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Mercedes reliabilty - there's an oxymoron if I ever saw one.
Old 06-15-06, 05:37 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

in the early 90s and before they were top in reliability basically around where lexus was now, after they merged, oh man went downhill
Old 06-15-06, 06:29 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 160 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
No oil pressure in a 2-year-old engine, probably from a f * * * ed -oil pump, and M-B won't repair or replace it? On a million-dollar-plus car?

car was brand new when it suffered the failure... it is now 2 years old... it never got fixed after its first test drive, which makes it even worse..
Old 06-15-06, 12:21 PM
IthacaPete
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read that article and laughed. So much for German engineering.....
Old 06-15-06, 01:00 PM
LexusLimit
Driver

"You'd think you'd be able to drive a $1.7 million car more than 10 blocks."

ROFL
Old 06-15-06, 05:06 PM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

Is that picture really what the car looks like? That's not a photochop?

If so, it's not hot or sexy at all. It's a hideous monstrosity! I don't know how small someone's **** would have to be for them to want to drive that thing. Maintenance/build problems and nonexistant MB customer service notwithstanding, the design of that car is absolutely horrible.
Old 06-15-06, 09:10 PM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Iceman
Is that picture really what the car looks like? That's not a photochop?

If so, it's not hot or sexy at all. It's a hideous monstrosity! I don't know how small someone's **** would have to be for them to want to drive that thing. Maintenance/build problems and nonexistant MB customer service notwithstanding, the design of that car is absolutely horrible.
Styling's less than stellar, but remember it's modelled after the previous gen (W208) CLK, not the current.
Old 06-16-06, 10:51 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 362 Posts
Default MB $2.32M Lemon

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117...-13762,00.html

THE US owner of an exotic, 12-cylinder Mercedes has sued its maker for a $US1.7 million ($2.31 million) refund on "the world's most expensive lemon".
Mark Johnston bought the Mercedes-Benz AMG CLK-GTR roadster, one of only five produced and the one in North America, for $2.31 million in 2003.

The Guinness Book of World Records lists the car as the most expensive production vehicle ever.

"The car turned out to be exotic in the worst possible way," said Mr Johnston, a former Ferrari mechanic. "It just doesn't run."

The 6.9 litre, 12 cylinder engine can shoot the car from 0 to 200km/h in 9.9 seconds, with a top speed of 320km/h.

In theory.

But this car could not even make it ten blocks, said Mr Johnston.

Johnson, who owns "Grand Prix Motors" in Los Angeles, took it out for a test drive with a potential buyer.

During the test Johnston claimed the oil gauge lit up and the transmission failed. The car promptly broke down on a Beverly Hills street and was towed back to the showroom.

The roadster is made of carbon fibre, has a steel roll cage and an energy-absorbing crash box.

"The car is truly a work of art," said Johnston.

"It just happens to be a work of art that won't work."

Johnston expected to resell the car for between $3.4 million and $4.08 million, and believes it could someday fetch up to $6.79 million.

An advertisement for the car on Grand Prix Motors' website read: "This very rare car can only go up further in value since they will only produce 5 of this model in a Roadster Edition," continuing: "This is a rare opportunity for you to own this vehicle. Please do not e-mail unless you know that this car will cost you more than $US2.5M."
Old 06-16-06, 10:56 AM
LexusLimit
Driver

"But this car could not even make it ten blocks, said Mr Johnston."
Thats funny.
This was posted on Supraforums as well.
Old 06-16-06, 01:01 PM
robloc93
Lexus Test Driver

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

I actually saw the news report on Fox 11news....poor guys, He also stated that the vehicle heated up a few times. Since there is only five of them,do the other ones have these same problems or was it a one time thing
Old 06-16-06, 01:16 PM
lkirchner
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
in the early 90s and before they were top in reliability basically around where lexus was now, after they merged, oh man went downhill
No one is going to debate that the MB quality has gone down hill. What is not correct is that the quality went down hill after they merged. The quality decline started big time with the introduction of the S Class in 1992---the W140 series. By the time the merger came about the quality was going down hill as fast as a roller coaster going down the first big hill!!!!
Old 06-16-06, 01:23 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by lkirchner
No one is going to debate that the MB quality has gone down hill. What is not correct is that the quality went down hill after they merged. The quality decline started big time with the introduction of the S Class in 1992---the W140 series. By the time the merger came about the quality was going down hill as fast as a roller coaster going down the first big hill!!!!
This is true. My friend had a hand down previous W140 S-class V-8, I think like a 1985 or something. Let me tell you, that car was built like a tank. It handled very well for its size, was very comfy and for an older car, it was just VERY impressive to me. You could tell they were hell bent on building THE best product.

Quick Reply: Mercedes Benz & DCX Sued for Failing to Fix World's Most Expensive 'Broken Car"