Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Motor Trend article-- SC300 vs. Legend LS Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-06, 08:15 PM
rushmore9
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motor Trend article-- SC300 vs. Legend LS Coupe

I dug this up when I was comparing which ride to choose and thought I'd share it with you guys since searching didn't come up with anything. Enjoy a classic review!

Copyright Petersen Publishing Company May 1992

There's an axiom in the boxing game that says styles make a fight. This head-to-head confrontation between the new Lexus SC 300 and the almost-as-new Acura Legend LS Coupe most definitely bears out that adage. While representing two pointedly divergent approaches to seeking supremacy in the luxury sport-coupe market, each of these upscale road warriors comes ready to do battle with a full array of potent mechanical weapons as well as a winning personality.

Prior to the opening bell, a brief overview of our gladiatorial grand tourers is in order. Both are direct descendants of their respective sedan kinfolk. The front-engine/rear-drive Lexus follows the traditional performance car layout, while the front-engine/front-drive Legend embraces a more unconventional, albeit increasingly popular, twist on the theme. To ensure this exercise remained skewed toward the enthusiast driver, we specified that each of our players be fitted with the standard-issue manual transmission. Beyond that, both arrived in the fully loaded mode. Leather automatic climate control, security systems, top-line stereos, and power everything. With its $31,850 base price, the entry-level Acura holds a modest advantage over the $32,700 SC 300. In maxed-out form, our top-line LS variant stickered at $36,695, the comparably equipped Lexus at $36,772.

Practical considerations play a key role in determining the overall desirability of any car. However, one certainly can't overlook the intangible value of curbside appeal when assessing this pair of second-channel standard-bearers from two of Japan's best-known auto makers. Although styling is a legitimately subjective quality, the SC 300 represents a far more aggressive approach. Both vehicles merit an impressive 0.32 Cd. But the Acura's conservatively handsome sheetmetal ran an undisputed second to the Lexus' sensuous curves when it came to drawing crowds and nailing down showcase positions in valet parking situations.

The powertrains present an interesting study in parallels and contrasts. Both cars feature all-new longitudinally mounted 24-valve lightweight engines with electronic fuel injection and a special valving arrangement in the inlet tract that's designed to optimize efficiency throughout the rev range. The Acura employs a variation of Honda's Variable Induction System used on the NSX, while the Lexus has the same Acoustic Control Induction System found on the ES 300 sedan. Acura designers fitted the 3446-pound Legend Coupe with a 200-horsepower 3.2-liter SOHC V-6. The Lexus camp opted for a 225-horsepower 3.0-liter twin-cam inline six in its 3494-pound charger. Coincidentally, both of these free-revving engines make 210 pound-feet of torque, the Acura's peaking at 4500 rpm, the Lexus' at 4800. Helping ship motive force to the front and rear wheels, respectively, are two of the slickest-shifting five-speed gearboxes we've encountered in a long time. The Lexus powerplant feels a trifle more enthusiastic on the bottom end, but the combination of relatively flat torque curves and prudent gear matchups allows the use of the overdrive fifth in both cars as low as 1200 rpm on level ground.

Formal acceleration tests, under admittedly less than perfect traction conditions, turned up some intriguing results. With its 7.8-second best effort, the SC 300 held a scant 0.1-second advantage to 60 mph over the Acura Coupe. This despite its extra 25 ponies and inherently better weight transfer characteristics on hard launches. At the end of the quarter mile, both cars remained just an eye-blink apart: the Lexus stopping the clocks in 15.8 seconds at 91.1 mph, the Legend slipping through in 15.9 ticks at 90.4 mph. When it comes to fuel economy, the equation is reversed. Both cars are EPA rated at 18 mpg in the city, but the Acura reportedly can squeeze 26 highway miles out of a gallon of unleaded gasoline, the Lexus, only 23.

Although the designers of these two coupes went down diametrically opposed paths when it came to drivetrain configurations, they shared a remarkably similar vision when choosing suspension basics. The fully independent underpinnings in each consist of double wishbones (the rears augmented by an additional trailing link), coil springs, and gas shocks at every corner trimmed out with an anti-roll bar for each axle. To enhance isolation, both vehicles mount this hardware to an aluminum front subframe and a steel rear cradle, which in turn are affixed to their extremely strong and rigid unibody structures.

It doesn't take much seat time to realize that considerable differences exist in tuning philosophy. The Lexus feels tauter and more responsive with less discernable body roll. The price exacted comes in the form of ride compliance, and the Acura moves smartly ahead when traversing rough or choppy pavement. Both cars feature speed-sensitive rack-and-pinion power steering gear. Here, too, the Lexus enjoys a narrow advantage in on-center feel and over-all precision, but at the cost of effort that some may find a trifle on the high side in this type of vehicle. While Acura holds a slight upper hand in passenger pampering as it relates to overall smoothness, the nod goes to Lexus for taming those old noise/vibration/harshness gremlins.

The wheel and tire combos display the same kind of concurrence in approach as in the suspension. Our Legend wore 205/60VR15 Michelin Sport XGTs on 15X6.5-inch cast alloys, while the Lexus mounted 215/60VR15 Goodyear Eagle GAs on 15X6.5-inch lightweight rims. On the skidpad, the SC 300 clawed its way to a slight 0.87 to 0.85g edge, but both coupes negotiated our 600-foot slalom at an identical 64.9 mph. Abetted by excellent anti-lock-assisted four-wheel disc brake systems, stopping power is formidable in each of these cars. The Lexus came to a halt in 132 feet from 60 mph. And while the Legend needed 7 feet more to accomplish the same task, all stops were impressively straight and drama free.

It's hard to find much fault in the interior treatments of either of our prestigious combatants. Both cars represent shining examples of what happens when designers are encouraged to give equal precedence to form and function. We admit to being a tad more smitten with the SC 300's electroluminescent main instrument cluster than with the Acura's legible, albeit otherwise low-key, white-on-black analog gauges. And the SC 300's optional power-assisted tilt-telescoping steering column clearly one-ups the Legend's manually activated telescoping-only counterpart. But as far as the layout and accessibility of all other switches, buttons, and stalk controls, it's tough to do too much critical finger pointing.

Although there's a substantial difference in wheelbase--the Acura's measures 111.4 inches, the Lexus' a mere 105.9--passenger compartments in both cars extend well beyond the scale of any known 2+2. Each coupe comes with power front buckets that, while possessing good comfort for long-distance cruising, prove a bit light on lateral support when the going gets twisty. Their electric sunroofs take a definite bite out of overhead clearance, but the Acura offers more useable leg room up front. It's entirely possible to load a pair a reasonably friendly adults into the rear quarters of either car. However, the Lexus would be the clear choice of most who were planning to spend much seat time back in row two. One area of unchallenged Legend superiority is in cargo carting. Its 14.1-cubic-foot trunk boasts a full third greater capacity than the Lexus and offers a far friendlier liftover height.

While admitting the Acura Legend Coupe and Lexus SC 300 exhibit different dynamic personalities, after subjecting them to our formal test regimen and flogging both about on a variety of public roads, we found it nearly impossible to declare one functionally superior. The Acura is already an established favorite in this arena. But based on just about any kind of pertinent checklist, the Lexus also appears to have everything it needs to be a major competitor right out of the box. No matter how you choose to draw the battle lines--performance, fit and finish, comfort--these two are all over each other. Equally important, they share a common bond of making one just plain feel good about the basic driving experience.

Among more serious enthusiasts, the rear-drive SC 300 is likely to win favor. With its crisper response and sportier ambiance, the Lexus merits kudos. For serious enthusiasts-in-training, we think the Acura might represent a more desirable starting point. Although it has a greater inclination to understeer and spin its inside front tire when pressed hard into a tight corner, the Legend's trailing throttle/braking manners are truly exceptional and its overall demeanor more forgiving. While softer underpinnings and higher-boosted steering sap some of the razor sharpness from its reflexes, there's no denying the second-generation Acura Coupe remains a first-rate traveling companion.

If you think we're mightily impressed with both these superb sport-luxury machines, you're right. By the time the final bell had rung, it was obvious each had managed to dish it out as well as they could take it. After polling our seat-side panel of judges, we awarded a close decision to the Lexus SC 300, primarily on the strength of its ability to provide greater visceral rewards to more aggressive drivers. But the margin of victory here is a narrow one, to be sure. And neither of these two is likely to spend much time sitting idly around the MT garages on any weekend.
Old 06-16-06, 09:08 PM
neurocity
Neu`roc´i`ty

Received 76 Likes on 39 Posts

I can sum that whole article up for you quicker....

Acura Legends are Ugly!!!!....DONE!!!!
Old 06-16-06, 09:11 PM
hass
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by neuro4you@
I can sum that whole article up for you quicker....

Acura Legends are Ugly!!!!....DONE!!!!
Different strokes for different folks. I get more compliments in my legend than my Sc.
-hass
Old 06-16-06, 09:19 PM
neurocity
Neu`roc´i`ty

I get more compliments in my legend than my Sc.
Is your SC wrecked?
Old 06-16-06, 09:21 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 360 Likes on 230 Posts

SO........... we wanna go past 4 posts here?
Old 06-16-06, 09:22 PM
hass
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by neuro4you@
Is your SC wrecked?
Nope, like i said different strokes for different folks. Isn't hard to believe that someone would like something you don't?
-hass
Old 06-16-06, 09:29 PM
neurocity
Neu`roc´i`ty

Easy, easy, I'm messing with ya.

We had a 94 LS, and traded it for our MDX. Our LS.... Junk. And obviously I hate them.
Old 06-16-06, 09:33 PM
J_RoK
Lexus Test Driver

I absolutly love hte Legend coupes.. they are little more boxy than the SC. i think STock vs. Stock bodies.. i like the Legend better. but if you mod the Sc.... that takes it.

Both great cars...
I also really like the subaru SVX... but im wierd..
Old 06-16-06, 09:52 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I find both Legend coupe and SC to be extremely sexy cars.

Old 06-17-06, 01:08 AM
Inabj2
Lexus Champion

It makes sense now, those 15 second times for the SC300 were done with the manual version!

Wow.. I thought itd be faster then that in manual trim, thats still a full second faster then what my automatic did in stock trim.

I wonder if Ill gain another full second from where Im currently at after the conversion.
Old 06-17-06, 02:52 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Between my Acura Legend LS Coupe 6-Speed and automatic Lexus SC400, I'd take my Legend Coupe again. When I sold the Legend, I really missed that car and still miss that car. When I sold my SC400 earlier this year, I couldn't get rid of it fast enough. Not that the SC was a junk car as it was a great car, but I had no passion for that car like I did when I had my Legend. Like others said, different strokes for different folks.
Old 06-17-06, 06:13 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

I happen to like both. You can't go wrong with either.
They are probably among the top 3 cars I wanted to have back in 1992, together with the 300ZX.
Old 06-17-06, 09:09 AM
LexFather

GREAT POST. I LOVE the Acura Legend, the best coupe/sedan Acura EVER made.

1. I am shocked the Legend cost as much as the SC 300 I thought it would have been much cheaper.
2. Both interiors are FIRST RATE, even today, the build quality and ergonomics are fantastic.
3. Both look GREAT, the SC clearly is timeless in true coupe fashion, the Legend IMO is timeless as well, in a sedan/2 door profile.
4. I love the rear drop windows of the Legend.

Both simply fantastic cars.

Old 06-17-06, 09:16 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,479 Likes on 1,629 Posts

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
Between my Acura Legend LS Coupe 6-Speed and automatic Lexus SC400, I'd take my Legend Coupe again.
If your Legend was 6-speed it was the GS coupe I believe. I had a rare 4 door Legend GS sedan (type II engine, etc.) which was an awesome car.
Old 06-17-06, 09:46 AM
GS3Tek

Received 168 Likes on 127 Posts

A friend of mine had one, a 91I believe, and that thing was smooth. Heck, at that time, it was the closest car to an NSX in the acura family .
I believe it was the first? to have the pneumatic door and trunk closer b/c when I first closed it, my eyes were
And that time, lexus was barelllly coming out and there weren't many comparable coupes out there with the blend of luxury and sport.

For the legend owners, what year was it where the 3rd brake light was in the trunk??

Quick Reply: Motor Trend article-- SC300 vs. Legend LS Coupe