Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Mercedes Ocean Drive Concept (S600 based 4 door Convertible) Approved for Production

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-06, 03:43 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,429 Likes on 1,592 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
i am scratching my head...... why would they wanna have the s class as convertible when they don't have one based on e class? i mean, 2 class is HUGE, convertible out of it?!
So the rear seats are actually usable?
Old 06-22-06, 04:39 PM
LexFather

Mercedes is so all over the map right now I wouldn't be surprised this comes, and the new 6 wheel, 8 door car called the SLL class but they still will call it a coupe

Old 06-22-06, 08:58 PM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Mercedes is so all over the map right now I wouldn't be surprised this comes, and the new 6 wheel, 8 door car called the SLL class but they still will call it a coupe
But they must make it a LWB Coupe with all wheel drive otherwise I'm not buying it.
Old 06-22-06, 10:08 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
So the rear seats are actually usable?
having usable rear seats is one thing. being able to sit in the back but wind blowing bad left and right on freeway is another
Old 06-23-06, 08:37 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 225 Likes on 153 Posts

having usable rear seats is one thing. being able to sit in the back but wind blowing bad left and right on freeway is another
I must admit, I' ve never sat in the back of a convertible, even friends', I always sit in the front passenger seat. But looks like this one will have 4 doors if they make it, & you can roll up the large windows at the back so it may not be that bad ?
Old 06-23-06, 08:51 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by LexArazzo
I must admit, I' ve never sat in the back of a convertible, even friends', I always sit in the front passenger seat. But looks like this one will have 4 doors if they make it, & you can roll up the large windows at the back so it may not be that bad ?
i don't know, from the aerodynamics, i would think the problem is from the top not the sides. you close the windows of course you get nothing, but i wonder if you will get a lot of wind from the top?
Old 06-23-06, 09:14 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

There hasn't been a production 4-door convertible in the American market that I know of since the 4-door Lincoln Continental convertible of the 1960's....President John F. Kennedy and Texas Governor John Connally were shot in one.
Old 06-23-06, 09:15 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by mmarshall
There hasn't been a production 4-door convertible in the American market that I know of since the 4-door Lincoln Continental convertible of the 1960's....President John F. Kennedy and Texas Governor John Connally were shot in one.
lol....... i just find your comments very hilarious
Old 06-23-06, 06:39 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

i don't know, from the aerodynamics, i would think the problem is from the top not the sides. you close the windows of course you get nothing, but i wonder if you will get a lot of wind from the top?
I suppose you do, but then I am not sure I get your point - you mean back seats in convertible are not desirable nomatter how spacious they are ? And you won't want to sit at the back because of wind from the top ? I suppose sitting at the back of a Bentley Azure convertible is still better than the smaller backseats of a 3 or 6 series convertible, isn't it ?

Last edited by Gojirra99; 06-23-06 at 06:44 PM.
Old 06-23-06, 06:51 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

I suppose you do, but then I am not sure I get your point - you mean back seats in convertible are not desirable nomatter how spacious they are ? And you won't want to sit at the back because of wind from the top ? I suppose sitting at the back of a Bentley Azure convertible is still better than the smaller backseats of a 3 or 6 series convertible, isn't it ?
nop, what i am trying to say is, convertible is NOT for anything with rear seats at all.

just my 2 cents though
Old 06-23-06, 07:03 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

nop, what i am trying to say is, convertible is NOT for anything with rear seats at all.
just my 2 cents though
Yes that's what I thought, that's why I said I thought you mean they are not desirable no matter how spacious they are It's better just to have 2 seats.
But I think that's true just for small convertibles such as the SC, SLK, SL, & backseats for the 3 & 6 series convertibles are only barely usable.

However, some people do want the style and fun of a convertible but still wants to seat 4 comfortably. I think that's the kind of people MB may be building a S-class 4 door convertible for.
There are large 4-seat convertibles in the past that I like too, like the Bentley Azure, the Cadillac Eldorado Convertible of the late 50's & early 60's etc.
Old 06-23-06, 07:16 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Yes that's what I thought, that's why I said I thought you mean they are not desirable no matter how spacious they are It's better just to have 2 seats.
But I think that's true just for small convertibles such as the SC, SLK, SL, & backseats for the 3 & 6 series convertibles are only barely usable.

However, some people do want the style and fun of a convertible but still wants to seat 4 comfortably. I think that's the kind of people MB may be building a S-class 4 door convertible for.
There are large 4-seat convertibles in the past that I like too, like the Bentley Azure, the Cadillac Eldorado Convertible of the late 50's & early 60's etc.
lol, that's definitely something i have yet to agree is nice. imho if you want space and comfortable in a big car, i would just get a sedan. why would i want to miss the roof
Old 06-23-06, 07:19 PM
liquid2
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats a trip covertibles are no longer sporty!
Old 08-14-06, 04:11 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Our sources in Germany are telling us that Mercedes will surprise the world with an S-Class Convertible Concept at the upcoming 2007 NAIAS in Detroit. But there's no reason to wait till January. Our favorite illustrator put together these renderings to give us all a preview of the huge four-door convertible concept.

http://www.thecarconnection.com/inde...&article=10754
Old 08-14-06, 04:41 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by GFerg
Our sources in Germany are telling us that Mercedes will surprise the world with an S-Class Convertible Concept at the upcoming 2007 NAIAS in Detroit. But there's no reason to wait till January. Our favorite illustrator put together these renderings to give us all a preview of the huge four-door convertible concept.
Should have given us a hardtop convertible concept...

Quick Reply: Mercedes Ocean Drive Concept (S600 based 4 door Convertible) Approved for Production