Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Mercedes Ocean Drive Concept (S600 based 4 door Convertible) Approved for Production

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-06, 09:18 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

so all that for a soft top convertible on the flagship mb? man, and we were all bashing bmw for not making the 6 series a hard top....
Old 08-14-06, 09:39 PM
LexFather

Benz is all over,this puzzles me I mean, I thought they made MAYBACH for this kind of outlandish thing.
The S65 costs $180,000!! THat is Bentley money!!

Maybe they will get rid of Maybach, though they claim it makes money? While Bentley has expanded and RR is next with baby cars, Maybach is struggling.

The S class convert, IMO, would be different, so let Maybach have such a daring idea, a 4 door flagship...

And IMO, I wouldn't want the general public to look inside and say "hey, it looks like a Benz on the outside but it has the inside of a BMW"!

Old 08-14-06, 10:00 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 218 Likes on 146 Posts

That illustration looks pretty decent, but I don't think I'll ever get a ragtop convertible, nomatter who makes it . . .
Old 08-15-06, 12:44 AM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

a car that big, long, and heavy should not be made into a convertible from engineering point of view

at this technological standpoint, no matter how u brace it, the chasis will still flex if u chop the roof off
its gonna be terrible

they are just gonna make SL and CL
S-class is considered a flagship 4 door sedan, making a 2 door convertible should be named with another model name
Old 08-15-06, 01:06 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by LexArazzo
That illustration looks pretty decent, but I don't think I'll ever get a ragtop convertible, nomatter who makes it . . .
well, there is one i would get in a heart beat -- s2000

Originally Posted by UberNoob
a car that big, long, and heavy should not be made into a convertible from engineering point of view

at this technological standpoint, no matter how u brace it, the chasis will still flex if u chop the roof off
its gonna be terrible

they are just gonna make SL and CL
S-class is considered a flagship 4 door sedan, making a 2 door convertible should be named with another model name
perfect point there, with a car that big and long, there would be a lot of body flex, without the top support i wonder how they can make the car completely straight and you still open and close doors easily.

and i was just thinking, from the pic, how does the rear door work? dont' think there will be b pillar right?
Old 08-15-06, 01:18 AM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rominl

perfect point there, with a car that big and long, there would be a lot of body flex, without the top support i wonder how they can make the car completely straight and you still open and close doors easily.

and i was just thinking, from the pic, how does the rear door work? dont' think there will be b pillar right?

and i dont think there has been a 4 door convertible for quite a while

last time i saw one was on a lincoln i think, it was at a walmart parking lot...
ugly as (#(*#%(%
lol

this is a 2 door S class i think
which isnt an S class anymore
just a fictional car made thru photoshop

not bad of a look IMO but just a terrible idea that wont get materialized
at least i hope not
lol

convertibles in my city is just so not a good idea
in vancouver, it rains like half a year or at least 150 days a year...
most of the convertible drivers are old ppl that bought their cars during a midlife crisis or something...
esp those chrysler sebring drivers
lol

an S class derived convertible would be targeting the Bently market share i suppose
but try to imagine a convertible LS460
lol
Old 08-15-06, 10:10 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by rominl
Well I've forgetten about the S2000, since it will be no more. I actually considered getting one in the past, but it's too small for me to feel really comfortable in for longer drives.
Old 08-15-06, 02:51 PM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

Some company been doing that already for years to 4-door Mercedes. They started doing that to Maybach's also. Not sure if people are crazy enough to spend the cash to have a 4-door Maybach convertible
Old 11-01-06, 06:45 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Default 2008 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Convertible -

S-class goes topless, and it’s a ragtop.
November 2006

A convertible version of Mercedes-Benz’s S-class luxury sedan might be on its way to production. Expected to debut as a concept vehicle at the Detroit show in January, the cabrio will eschew a retractable hardtop in place of a traditional clothtop. If it makes it into production, the S-class cabrio is likely a year away from showrooms.
source : caranddriver
Old 11-01-06, 09:09 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

still, very funny to see how small the driver looks in that car
Old 11-01-06, 02:16 PM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I'ved owned MB for many years. I'm not liking the direction they're going. Sooo they plan an S-Class ragptop, they are still considering whether or not to bring the SWB S450 here, they want a baby Maybach? WTF!
Old 11-01-06, 03:02 PM
Neophyte
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Thats horrible imo!
Old 12-11-06, 07:51 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

It's been confirmed that M-B will be dropping the top of its four-door convertible at the Detroit auto show next month.

Based off the V12-powered S-class, the cabrio version will assuredly come equipped with a cloth roof, along with a pricy premium that would add an additional $10-15k to the sticker of the S600. Considering that a base S600 comes in at just over $140,000 (not including the gas guzzler tax), buyers will certainly appreciate the exclusivity that a cabrio Merc will afford them.

According to sources close to the project, production is highly likely.

[Source: Automotive News -– Sub. Req.]
source : autoblog
Old 12-11-06, 08:22 AM
marshmallo
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ragtop S-Class?

What an unbelievably stupid idea.
Old 12-11-06, 08:44 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The only cars above 50k dollars that have ANY excuse to use a rag top instead of a hard top are those that are sports cars and thus trying to keep their weight down by any means necessary.

Show me a 100k dollar turbo Porsche with a non-power rag top and I understand why and appreciate why they did it - saves a lot of weight and complexity.

But an S-class is not a sports car, it's already a pig in terms of weight, so why not make it a hard top?

I wonder if it's even possible to maintain anything close to the non-convertible S-class' low noise levels or HVAC efficiency with a rag top? I'd tend to think not.

Quick Reply: Mercedes Ocean Drive Concept (S600 based 4 door Convertible) Approved for Production