Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Prius or Civic Hybrid?
Prius
72.73%
Civic Hybrid
27.27%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Prius or Civic Hybrid?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-06, 12:32 PM
jrock65
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
because he never sat in one, he has no clue what he is talking about... as you said, there is nothing in the center but 2 warning lamps for the passanger...
Err, of course I've sat in one. Many, many times. It would be nice if you didn't say things that you have no knowledge of. Also, just a tip, comments like "he has no clue what he is talking about" just make you sound immature and arrogant without any basis.

Anyways, what I AM talking about is that the dash of the Prius is unconventional, and has an "everything oriented/symmetrical toward the center" look. I am not talking about the placement of the speedometer, nor am I talking about the ergonomics (which is fine). What is in front of the driver is mainly an expanse of plastic. It is that look that I cannot stand.

http://pressroom.toyota.com/Images/V...T2005122257776

Last edited by jrock65; 08-09-06 at 12:45 PM.
Old 08-09-06, 10:53 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by meanboy
We've had two toyotas, and one lexus, and we barely needed anything but the hybrid components could be very expensive to replace so I might get it but I can wait unitl my warranty is about to expire before I need to make that decision.

I thought the Prius cabs were pretty cool, and I didn't really think too hard about a hybrid until I noticed the difference in heat and air quality when cars were present on the street. I am not green but I thought this would be my part in helping and get good gas mpg at the same time.

Bummer about tax credit. I am trying to beat the clock right now. It's time for me to call some dealers.
I know what you mean. The hybrid components are warranted for 8 yrs/100,000 miles (might be longer in california) so the extended warranty is for the other stuff. I believe the hybrid components are the electric motors, inverter and HV battery. Not sure what else is in that category.

Neither am I but because I know I'll have to use the car to get to places, I'd rather do it knowing that I'm spewing out less emissions and saving money on fuel doesn't hurt either. You don't realise it until you drive in an underground parking lot with the window down. I moved my car in my friend's underground parking with the window down but once he started his car, the air filled with toxins and it took a while before it dissapated.

Yeah.. as long as you get it by Sept, you should get the full credit.
Old 08-10-06, 10:40 AM
meanboy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nextourer
I know what you mean. The hybrid components are warranted for 8 yrs/100,000 miles (might be longer in california) so the extended warranty is for the other stuff. I believe the hybrid components are the electric motors, inverter and HV battery. Not sure what else is in that category.

Neither am I but because I know I'll have to use the car to get to places, I'd rather do it knowing that I'm spewing out less emissions and saving money on fuel doesn't hurt either. You don't realise it until you drive in an underground parking lot with the window down. I moved my car in my friend's underground parking with the window down but once he started his car, the air filled with toxins and it took a while before it dissapated.

Yeah.. as long as you get it by Sept, you should get the full credit.
I am thinking I might go for a Prius now because I might get more into real estate on the weekends and the hatch would be perfect for hauling signs around. I would like the power but maybe taking it easy would better for me. And I gues the funkiness of the Prius is part of its appeal.

Some people posted that the CA covers the hyrbid components longer as part of the emissions cover. I think 10 years/150k miles but I need to double check that.

Now, it's time to crunch some more numbers.
Old 08-10-06, 05:24 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well the power on the Prius is adequate. It's just enough to get you where you want to go and pass people but there's little reserve (top speed is 109mph... maybe 106mph). But then again, why would you accelerate hard in a Prius anyway? Take it easy and it'll save you a lotta stress lol.

Whichever route you take, feel free to PM me and I'll be glad to help out with any questions you need.