Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Ford Pledges New Mustang Every Year - 600hp model possible . . .

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-06, 06:42 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts
Default Ford Pledges New Mustang Every Year - 600hp model possible . . .

Date posted: 06-22-2006

DEARBORN, Mich. — Describing the Mustang as its "iconic" product, Ford executives on Wednesday promised to keep interest in the pony car high by providing "new product content" year over year.

"We will add new products to the Mustang lineup," Derrick Kuzak told Inside Line. "It's a commitment. Carroll [Shelby] will work every year on the Mustang."

Kuzak, however, gave no details on what's in the pipeline for Mustang. When asked if we can expect a 600-horsepower version of the car, he replied, "Never say never to anything." It was clear in interviews that Shelby and the Ford team may be a bit anxious about the prospects of a revived Chevrolet Camaro.

"With the new Camaro, they'd better not dream they'll have more horsepower [than Mustang]," Shelby told IL in an interview at the 2007 Ford full-line preview here on Wednesday, which showcased the 2007 Shelby GT500. When asked if the Mustang is racing toward the 600-hp mark, the automotive legend said, "It would be very easy for the Mustang to go to 600 horsepower — and north from there — and still pass the company's 50,000-mile warranty."

When asked if we could see a 600-hp Mustang in a year or two, Shelby responded, "Maybe."

"I'd get in trouble if I told you," he said, although he confirmed that a redesigned Mustang is due out in 2009. Shelby confided that while his health is good following both a heart transplant and a kidney transplant, he is now blind in one eye.

When asked for his impressions of the Camaro concept, Shelby said, "I don't think it's sensational, but I think it's adequate." He added: "I don't think the Camaro will come out with anything that puts us down. We are ahead of the game. And we know how to stay ahead. I don't see people — the general press or the public — knocking the design of the Mustang."

What this means to you: The Detroit muscle-car race sounds like it's about to get heated up in the coming years.

source : edmunds
Old 06-23-06, 07:15 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

wonder whats it going to weigh this time 4500 lbs?
Old 06-23-06, 07:35 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
wonder whats it going to weigh this time 4500 lbs?
ROTFLMAO!!!!!

Old 06-23-06, 07:36 AM
Milla...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I hope they would do something about the interior quality and oh that blasted rear overhang.
Old 06-23-06, 07:38 AM
LexFather

THey need to focus on the 500 and maybe some special editon Fusions and revamping the Focus.

Or bring us the Focus/Fiesta ST from Europe.

Old 06-23-06, 07:39 AM
Faraaz23
Lexus Test Driver

I still think the new GT500 is a dissapointment, especially for something done by Carol Shelby. I know when we're talking about japanese and euro sport sedans, there is more to the car than just "speed." However, when we're talking about american muscle cars... they are historically all about speed. Things like handing were always more of an afterthought. According to C&D, that GT500 goes 0-60 in like 4.7 or something. WEAK. The 400hp base Corvette can easily do that.

I think Ford is being cocky if they are dismissing the Camaro so quickly. Granted, this was a press statement and you can't let your enemies see you sweat. I'd be anxious to see how they are reacting to the possibility of the Camaro internally. GM definitely gets the thumbs up here when it comes to their powertrains and the chassis too.
Old 06-23-06, 08:18 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

2009 will be a interesting year for the mustang. A new design and maybe 600 hp is just insane.. I still would like to see a GT supercharged from the factory.. IF the GT was supercharged and resonably priced than more GT's may be sold to the younger generation.. We will just have to see waht 2009 will bring.. I heard that the SVT line got cut. Is this true?
Old 06-23-06, 08:38 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

they need to design a chassis that can support such power already so you dont have to lump more metal on it to strengthen it, thats why the C6 vette weighs so less, its chassis was designed to handle over i dunno 500+ hp from the beginning
Old 06-23-06, 08:42 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah, yeah, yeah. Give it 600hp, 700 hp, make a four-door 'stang, an SUV 'stang, a "stang that flies.

Ford should not put all their eggs in the Mustang basket. They need to focus on making their company viable, not one model...
Old 06-23-06, 09:25 AM
saleem
Pole Position

They will make a hybrid high performance mustang with sequential transmission and fully independent suspension.

LMAO