Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Top 10 Brands in Putting Technology in their Cars

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-06, 07:45 PM
DrDrilZ
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the one thing i dont like about touch screen is that the area of the screen that gets used most often gets worn out. when the screen is off, you can see the wear. also i hate that u cant change or enter destinations while driving. do they not think a passenger can use the nav while the car is in motion? at least use some kind of sensor to deactivate that lockout when there is a front passenger present.
Old 06-23-06, 08:10 PM
IronCobra
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
BTW, I'm a bit surprised to see GMC and Chevrolet as the technology leaders of all non-premium brands. They're even ahead of Audi and Bentley! What's so advanced about GMC and Chevrolet cars/trucks?

Also, so much for Hyundai being a premium brand over Kia. It sure ranks higher woo hoo!
I think that much of the technology of Chevrolet and GMC are in the mechanics not the interior features. They have really raised the bar when it comes to engineering on their trucks and SUVs. Their Flex Fuel systems are pretty ingenious. Also, you can't deny that they care getting ALOT of HP out of small V8 engines now. I've always been impressed with what Chevy and GMC put in their trucks and SUVs. Perhaps not the build quality but the stuff anyhow.

Last edited by IronCobra; 06-23-06 at 08:13 PM.
Old 06-23-06, 08:12 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

As said, i-Drive is a love it or hate it thing. People who do not spend enough time with it will probably says it's junk. Those who actually took the time to work it will appreciate the system better.

Playing with the i-Drive for a few minutes and hating it right away (without extensively using it) makes as much sense as saying Adobe Photoshop is junk because you couldn't master it within a few minutes of initial use.

Systems like I-Drive will become standard one day, whether we like it or not. Technology is entering into a new era.

Though as of right now, I enjoy pushing my radio's button to change stations. I'm not ready for i-drive yet.

Last edited by GSteg; 06-23-06 at 08:18 PM.
Old 06-23-06, 08:37 PM
DrDrilZ
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by GSteg
As said, i-Drive is a love it or hate it thing. People who do not spend enough time with it will probably says it's junk. Those who actually took the time to work it will appreciate the system better.

Playing with the i-Drive for a few minutes and hating it right away (without extensively using it) makes as much sense as saying Adobe Photoshop is junk because you couldn't master it within a few minutes of initial use.

Systems like I-Drive will become standard one day, whether we like it or not. Technology is entering into a new era.

Though as of right now, I enjoy pushing my radio's button to change stations. I'm not ready for i-drive yet.
bad analogy. if there were a program that could perform just as well as PS and was easier to use, it would be preferred. same functions+easier interface=the win
example: i would rather have a volume **** on my computer speakers rather than having to go into start menu, control panel, sounds, volume.
also, dont we all enjoy our keyboard shortcuts to perform tasks???

Last edited by DrDrilZ; 06-23-06 at 08:47 PM.
Old 06-23-06, 08:43 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Until that system comes along, i-drive will still be here.

People like the simplicity of what we have now (like MS paint). Others will hate the complexity of i-drive (photoshop). What you do in one system, you can do in the other (like change radio and such), just like how I can draw ugly pictures whether I'm using paint or Photoshop Different systems for different functions.
Old 06-23-06, 10:21 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GSteg
Until that system comes along, i-drive will still be here.

People like the simplicity of what we have now (like MS paint). Others will hate the complexity of i-drive (photoshop). What you do in one system, you can do in the other (like change radio and such), just like how I can draw ugly pictures whether I'm using paint or Photoshop Different systems for different functions.
You are obviously confusing better technologies with better interfaces. BMW offers a superior set of technologies, but the interface could've been made a lot easier to use had they chosen to use a touch screen instead of a ****. Simple as that. I don't think anyone can deny the fact that a touch screen is more intuitive to use than a ****. That "anyone who actually owns it can learn to master it after a while" simply is not good enough an excuse not to make the interface easier so that anyone can use it on first try. With a touch screen, I see it, I touch it, I get it. With a ****? I see it, I don't get it, until I learn to turn or nudge or click on a different device, for one to many times, to get to where I want.
Old 06-23-06, 10:24 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

You are obviously confusing better technologies with better interfaces. BMW offers a superior set of technologies, but the interface could've been made a lot easier to use had they chosen to use a touch screen instead of a ****. Simple as that. I don't think anyone can deny the fact that a touch screen is more intuitive to use than a ****. That "anyone who actually owns it can learn to master it after a while" simply is not good enough an excuse not to make the interface easier so that anyone can use it on first try. With a touch screen, I see it, I touch it, I get it. With a ****? I see it, I don't get it, until I learn to turn or nudge or click on a different device, for one to many times, to get to where I want.
yep, you have to see it - that's the point - your eyes leave the road a lot more with a touch screen. The fact is BMW is on to something - granted it is Gen 1 (or 2 now), but I think we will see more cars go this route. As Gene points out, someday we will just speak all of the commands.
Old 06-23-06, 10:41 PM
GSteg
Rookie

You are obviously confusing better technologies with better interfaces. BMW offers a superior set of technologies, but the interface could've been made a lot easier to use had they chosen to use a touch screen instead of a ****. Simple as that. I don't think anyone can deny the fact that a touch screen is more intuitive to use than a ****.

That's the trade off in this case. A friendlier interface (ie. touchscreen) is easier to use, but like doug said, your eyes wonder off the road more often. When you get use to the ****, it's almost second nature. With touchscreen, you're still have to look at the screen everytime. Other than these two options, voice activated system is better, which is why the BMW offers the voice system for those who do not wish to use the ****.
Old 06-23-06, 10:55 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by doug_999
yep, you have to see it - that's the point - your eyes leave the road a lot more with a touch screen. The fact is BMW is on to something - granted it is Gen 1 (or 2 now), but I think we will see more cars go this route.
Huh? As if you don't need to see it if not more frequently with a ****? Maybe, after perhaps a month of ownership when you memorize "nudge left once to go to communications, and then nudge down two times to go to phonebook, and then count and turn 16 times to go to the letter P, click, and then turn down 3 times to get to Mr. Peterson, and click again to dial"? Sure is easy and intuitive. Oh, no looking at the screen for sure.
As Gene points out, someday we will just speak all of the commands.
We're comparing a touch screen with a **** design here. And like Gene, you come in and say "oh don't worry about the **** we can use voice commands". How is that relevant? It's not like Lexus doesn't offer voice commands either. Gene is right that BMW offers 3 ways to interact with the car. But what both Gene and you and forget is that out of the three, the **** is simply useless--those who do not have the time to study the manual don't know how to use it, and those who do take their time to read the manual will prefer using voice commands (which also requires learning) and conventional buttons. With a touch screen design, on the other hand, even novice users or first-time guests can actually use it on first try without studying the manual. Why is that not the goal of a better car design?
Old 06-23-06, 11:19 PM
videcormeum
Lexus Champion

Cadillac must have gotten bonus points for introducing the LED tails, HUD, and the night vision (thermal imaging) system on the Deville/DTS before most other brands debuted that stuff.

M.
Old 06-24-06, 07:48 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,516 Likes on 1,655 Posts

I don't think anyone can deny the fact that a touch screen is more intuitive to use than a ****.
OK - ready?

Maybe you've never used a Blackberry with the pushable thumbwheel and 'back' button. It's AWESOME. The Palm and Windblows PDAs with touch screen and stylus all SUCK in comparison.

Another example is the iPod. It's a wheel/buttons and it's unanimously praised for its ease of use and efficiency. And iPod would SUCK if it had a touch screen.

So there's two examples of why touch screens aren't always better. Now you might say well my examples aren't a car but I think they apply directly. One thing I hated about my 2000 Lexus GS was that it had no buttons on the steering wheels for audio, etc. My previous Acuras had better controls.

My new Ford Explorer has a touch screen navigation/menus/settings/etc., but guess what, it also has audio, cruise, AND climate controls all on the steering wheel and it's GREAT.

Oh and Gene - my Explorer allows 'customization' too of many features (auto door locking, auto door move back when putting into park, light timers, etc.)

Now I'm wondering who will be the first manufacturer to put Blackberry like controls on a car's steering wheel - I think that would be killer.
Old 06-24-06, 09:06 AM
DrDrilZ
Lead Lap

wait, BIT, you got rid of your lexus?
Old 06-24-06, 09:17 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,516 Likes on 1,655 Posts

Originally Posted by DrDrilZ
Yes, in April. It just didn't have enough room for stuff, plus after 6 yrs, it was just time to let someone else enjoy it.
Old 06-25-06, 10:59 AM
LexFather

and then became a moderator, again

Old 06-26-06, 05:46 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Many of us here on CAR CHAT are either non-Lexus owners or ex-Lexus owners. I myself am a ex-Lexus owner who decided to stay on due to the excellence of this forum.

Hey....when you find a gold mine you keep some of the nuggets.

Quick Reply: Top 10 Brands in Putting Technology in their Cars