Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Top 10 Brands in Putting Technology in their Cars

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-06, 10:29 AM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
Huh? As if you don't need to see it if not more frequently with a ****? Maybe, after perhaps a month of ownership when you memorize "nudge left once to go to communications, and then nudge down two times to go to phonebook, and then count and turn 16 times to go to the letter P, click, and then turn down 3 times to get to Mr. Peterson, and click again to dial"? Sure is easy and intuitive. Oh, no looking at the screen for sure.We're comparing a touch screen with a **** design here. And like Gene, you come in and say "oh don't worry about the **** we can use voice commands". How is that relevant? It's not like Lexus doesn't offer voice commands either. Gene is right that BMW offers 3 ways to interact with the car. But what both Gene and you and forget is that out of the three, the **** is simply useless--those who do not have the time to study the manual don't know how to use it, and those who do take their time to read the manual will prefer using voice commands (which also requires learning) and conventional buttons. With a touch screen design, on the other hand, even novice users or first-time guests can actually use it on first try without studying the manual. Why is that not the goal of a better car design?
I think Bit's reply hits the nail right on the head. I also don't think you will understand what I am saying until you go and 1) learn how to use the i-Drive and then 2) try it and compare it to the touch screen. I've had both and can only comment on my experiences.

I will however give you one simple example of what I am talking about...
When entering an address, we all know that the NAV systems will remove letters that are not possible in an address. So when I am entering Main as the street, after entering the M, only the possible letters remaining exist - in this case let's just say it is a, e, o, and y. I look up and see I have four choices. I now can continue driving and turn the **** the appropriate number of clicks and then press down to select with the touch screen (assuming I could do this while driving), I need to place my finger on the correct letter that is on the screen. This requires a lot more time looking at the screen and a lot less time looking at the road.