Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Sponsorship how do I?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-06, 03:56 PM
onebadshot
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sponsorship how do I?

So im a poor kid with really no money to modifiy my car in the way I would like to. What do you guys think is the best way to get your car sponsered? I looked around on google and all thouse guys wanted money for membership so I thought better of dishing out the 80 bucks for a sticker. So how do you go about this. My only idea so far is to get to more car shows and talk to sponsers there and what not.
Old 06-25-06, 06:00 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

forget it man, there is no free lunch. most of the time you have to put a lot of money in before you can get sponsorships. just gonig there and tell them you will go to a lot of shows, that's not going to fly. companies are getting stricter on sponsorships now. unless they see how serious you are, what your car is already, where it's heading, and whether you already have some exposure, they are not going to sponsor you just coz' you say "i will attend xx number of shows this yr for you guys"

all the cars and people i know who get sponsorship, they all already put in 20+k in their cars, get exposures by going to shows and receiving trophies, and then they get sponsorships on some items, etc...

you gotta pay to play
Old 06-25-06, 06:26 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

rominl is right you have to put some money into your car first. From my experience they want a car to stand out then they will show interest. I got sponsorhip when I had my 240sx after I did SR swap full body kit and wheels. I mean there wasn't much left to do after that plus I had a co-op sponsorship for 50% off. All I dd end up getting was a bigger catback. I might try again once I get the SC together but I will already have boost kit and wheels done.
Old 06-26-06, 02:01 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Our car club has a sponsorship with only one company for those members that want it, and I have to say you really need to be prepared for the responsibility. Basically you are giving up your car for the duration of the sponsorship. When they want to use your car you have to be willing and ready to let them use it. Not too mention all the car shows you'd have to do. If your car gets wrecked in an accident, you can no longer repair it on your own time, You need to get it repaired and fixed up to show condition ASAP because if your car is needed or you need to do a show, you can't skip out on your obligations. Being sponsored can be really hard work.

I'd say don't do it unless car shows are part of your lifestyle. I started off doing shows for the pure fun of it. Once we were sponsorted, it bacame almost like a job and that took out all the fun. Once my sponsorship is done I'm never going to renew it and will return to doing mods and shows for myself. If you are simply looking for s sponsorship for free or cheap parts I say don't do it. You are only asking for trouble.
Old 06-26-06, 08:40 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
Our car club has a sponsorship with only one company for those members that want it, and I have to say you really need to be prepared for the responsibility. Basically you are giving up your car for the duration of the sponsorship. When they want to use your car you have to be willing and ready to let them use it. Not too mention all the car shows you'd have to do. If your car gets wrecked in an accident, you can no longer repair it on your own time, You need to get it repaired and fixed up to show condition ASAP because if your car is needed or you need to do a show, you can't skip out on your obligations. Being sponsored can be really hard work.

I'd say don't do it unless car shows are part of your lifestyle. I started off doing shows for the pure fun of it. Once we were sponsorted, it bacame almost like a job and that took out all the fun. Once my sponsorship is done I'm never going to renew it and will return to doing mods and shows for myself. If you are simply looking for s sponsorship for free or cheap parts I say don't do it. You are only asking for trouble.
very well said chris. that's why i am offered several times for sponsorship already but i declined all of them. i don't want to be tied down on what mods i get for my cars, and i am definitely on my own schedule
Old 06-26-06, 09:54 AM
ted920
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cherplex
rominl is right you have to put some money into your car first. From my experience they want a car to stand out then they will show interest. I got sponsorhip when I had my 240sx after I did SR swap full body kit and wheels. I mean there wasn't much left to do after that plus I had a co-op sponsorship for 50% off. All I dd end up getting was a bigger catback. I might try again once I get the SC together but I will already have boost kit and wheels done.

Dunlop Tires can be tough, eh?

My deal with Hankook has been nothing but an absolute pleasure. Not all companies are so demanding.

Ted
Old 06-26-06, 10:40 AM
Yoko
Driver

Never realized that it is so much work.
Old 06-26-06, 11:50 AM
Wald GS
O.C. Lucky Strike Fanatic

It requires a good proposal, like a resume.

I acquired dunlop and a few other companies as sponsors and it has been a great experience knowing a company will back you up. The main thing in acquiring any kind of sponsorship is that you have to have a reason for them to sponsor you. Meaning what is your ROI for them? (Return on INvestment). If companies went around sponsoring stock cars, there would be no ROI.

Do a search on jtuned.com, Nadine, the female drifter has an article with info on how to do it.

-Bryan
Old 06-26-06, 07:37 PM
Onelove
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Yoko
Never realized that it is so much work.
Sponsorship is work. You are getting product or support from a company in exchange for your marketing support. I've dealt with companies big to small, each handle sponsorships differently. In the racing world I've seen people cut checks for 25-50k just for a small sticker without ever questioning the results or showing any interest in the deal once the initial payout was completed. I've then seen the other side of the spectrum where companies expect constant attention and image right / useage of the car in exchange for a part that costs a mere $1,500.00 on a $150K car. Another thing to take into consideration is how the product will work on your car, there is no reason to put an inferior product on your car just because it was offered for free or at a discount over a better working retail product. At the end of the day if your trying to get your car built overnight for free, it's not going to happen. Enjoy the process, choose the parts and brands you want to use, and put in some extra hours to get where you want.
Old 06-26-06, 09:19 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by rominl
forget it man, there is no free lunch. most of the time you have to put a lot of money in before you can get sponsorships. just gonig there and tell them you will go to a lot of shows, that's not going to fly. companies are getting stricter on sponsorships now. unless they see how serious you are, what your car is already, where it's heading, and whether you already have some exposure, they are not going to sponsor you just coz' you say "i will attend xx number of shows this yr for you guys"

all the cars and people i know who get sponsorship, they all already put in 20+k in their cars, get exposures by going to shows and receiving trophies, and then they get sponsorships on some items, etc...

you gotta pay to play

Damn Rom, straight and direct with no chaser!! lol

All kidding aside the input in this thread is very true. I can honestly say that from a company perspective, its sort of insulting to be told "gimme my wheels at half off and I'll slap your sticker on and do some shows", its kind of like thanks but no thanks bud!

I think the 2 most important things in sponsorships are what are you bringing to the table as far as a car that is already making a statement, and also just what type of car you have.

If a company is not looking to promote a line of products for that vehicle then you could be barking up the wrong tree (especially if they have already sponsored your exact model previously).

As Rom said the "free lunch' days are over, no one is just giving away free parts to hook up your car, with no ROI (as LexAristo said). I can also say that Ted920 and CKspeed have a good grasp on things, I have personally seen Ted wearing Hankook clothing and distributing literature at shows!

Gettting sponsored is like aquiring investors so you have to be a professional, and starting with a bone stock car is not easy (unless its a Mecedes SLR or Lambo Murcielago or something wild like that). That being said anyting is possible with a well executed plan so good luck!
Old 06-26-06, 10:15 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by D2-AUTOSPORT
Damn Rom, straight and direct with no chaser!! lol

All kidding aside the input in this thread is very true. I can honestly say that from a company perspective, its sort of insulting to be told "gimme my wheels at half off and I'll slap your sticker on and do some shows", its kind of like thanks but no thanks bud!

I think the 2 most important things in sponsorships are what are you bringing to the table as far as a car that is already making a statement, and also just what type of car you have.

If a company is not looking to promote a line of products for that vehicle then you could be barking up the wrong tree (especially if they have already sponsored your exact model previously).

As Rom said the "free lunch' days are over, no one is just giving away free parts to hook up your car, with no ROI (as LexAristo said). I can also say that Ted920 and CKspeed have a good grasp on things, I have personally seen Ted wearing Hankook clothing and distributing literature at shows!

Gettting sponsored is like aquiring investors so you have to be a professional, and starting with a bone stock car is not easy (unless its a Mecedes SLR or Lambo Murcielago or something wild like that). That being said anyting is possible with a well executed plan so good luck!
very well said derrick. and to me, a good "help" is nothing more than stfuff at cost. some parts on my cars, i have very good relationships with the companies or shops, so they offer me stuff at cost. they are not losing money, and i am not losing my schedule. in the end i do my parts and post up reviews about the shops, service, products, etc... and in some ways help to refer business to those companies.

sometimes they even appreciate that more