Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review: Nissan Altima 4 banger...

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-06, 04:40 PM
CHIS350
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Review: Nissan Altima 4 banger...

...is a total piece of crap. I was given one of these atrocities as a rental in place of my precious Magnum. Now, I have driven plenty of midsizes before (all the domestics included) and the baby Altima is by far the worst! Engine was horrible, interior sucked, stupid shifter kept on slipping past D to 3 or 2 when I would try to throw it into gear. Good to see Nissan is slowing in sales, this car sucks.
Old 06-26-06, 07:05 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by CHIS350
...is a total piece of crap. I was given one of these atrocities as a rental in place of my precious Magnum. Now, I have driven plenty of midsizes before (all the domestics included) and the baby Altima is by far the worst! Engine was horrible, interior sucked, stupid shifter kept on slipping past D to 3 or 2 when I would try to throw it into gear. Good to see Nissan is slowing in sales, this car sucks.
Yeah, it sells very well b/c well, it looks like a Lexus. It also does have good power or great power in its class in I-4 or V-6 form. It is also a very big car, spacious to me.

Outside of looks and power and space, its built like like some pro-wings from Payless Shoe Store. Its amazing people will just buy the "look" and overlook the part they actually SIT in. I agree the interior, even the revamped one is just poor, I would say on par or worse than entry level $10,000-$12,000 cars.

It does sell well for NIssan though, cracking the top 20 in sales every month and their best seller so they figured something out.

Old 06-26-06, 07:47 PM
CHIS350
Pole Position

Seriously dude, I enjoyed the Chevy Malibu and Dodge Stratus more. I'm sure the Ford Fusion is better due to its Mazda6 lineage.
Old 06-26-06, 07:55 PM
LexFather

Seriously dude, I enjoyed the Chevy Malibu and Dodge Stratus more. I'm sure the Ford Fusion is better due to its Mazda6 lineage.
Cool, b/c I am not comparing it to "Lexus" standards. IMO, the old Camry and Accord blow it away overall. I will say the Altima is the looker of the 3.

Clearly mags agree, the Altima has never even been in the top 3 in any comparo and has never came close to winning one.

Old 06-26-06, 11:10 PM
ATSOU
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

The Nissan dealership I worked at, they mark up $2,000 on the Altimas.....WTF
Old 06-27-06, 03:39 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by ATSOU
The Nissan dealership I worked at, they mark up $2,000 on the Altimas.....WTF
All of them? I could understand it to some extent on the SE-R....its interior is upgraded over other Altimas and has some nice 350Z touches. Still, even the SE-R is not worth $2000 over list.
Many dealerships, unless the car in question is in huge demand and very short supply, will toss that second sticker in the trash if you complain and refuse to pay it.
Old 06-27-06, 03:40 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

This is a review? Come on...you can give us a little more than just a couple of sentences, can't you?
Old 06-27-06, 05:07 AM
CHIS350
Pole Position

OK Fine I guess its more of a rant, but this car is garbage.
Old 06-27-06, 06:41 AM
fireballs gs400
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default yes it is garbage

I have sold several, and they SUCK! The interior is junk, the new 4 cyl is a oil consuming heap. They recalled every 4 cyl altima '06 model due to using too much oil. You need to change or check the oil every 700 miles. The interior is designed to be a trade in every 3 years. the carpet near the door handle is ohh soo sweet. Just a junky feeling.

I will give credit the 07 maxima new cvt transmission seems nice and consistant.
Old 06-27-06, 10:26 AM
Yoko
Driver

Dang, didn't realize that the Altima was so bad. When i got to ride it didn't seem so bad for a 22k car.
Old 06-29-06, 05:16 AM
KrazyLexus
Lead Lap

LOL the shifter is a issue with yourself not use to how to shift a car like that. I use to do that when I first had a shifter like that.

But the Altima really isn't all that bad. We had one till recently traded it in for a Camry. After 3 years the interior held up just fine, better than any Domestic vehicle we have owned.
Old 06-29-06, 09:48 AM
typeshblue
Driver

not every altima is on a recall, is only the ones that are made from jan to may 06, about 80,000. so get the facts right before you type anything and for the shifter you just got to get use to it. everyone have their opinion oh well
Old 06-29-06, 05:30 PM
shyguy16
Lead Lap

Wow, I can't tell if you're exagerrating, being sarcastic, or if you just want to bash on the Altima.

I've recently sat in a co-worker's new Altima and it wasn't anywhere near as bad as you make it sound.
I didn't get to drive it, but it seemed like a perfectly competent car in its class.
Old 06-29-06, 05:41 PM
ATSOU
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
All of them? I could understand it to some extent on the SE-R....its interior is upgraded over other Altimas and has some nice 350Z touches. Still, even the SE-R is not worth $2000 over list.
Many dealerships, unless the car in question is in huge demand and very short supply, will toss that second sticker in the trash if you complain and refuse to pay it.
Not all of them.
But only the base model isn't mark up......everything else u gotta pay $2k over MSRP
Old 06-30-06, 03:33 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I've tried to be as objective about this car as I can......both its good and bad points. The interiors on the Altimas ( and the Maxima as well ) were junk up to about a year or so ago when I, at least, started noticing some inprovements, especially on the new Altima SE-R. Are they any better-built or more reliable now? Only time and miles will tell.
Nissan and Infiniti have indeed had some severe quality problems lately...but more with the trucks and SUV's than with regular cars........the Armada, QX56, and Titan have been the main problems.

1SICKLEX EDIT (my bad M)

Last edited by LexFather; 06-30-06 at 06:28 AM.

Quick Reply: Review: Nissan Altima 4 banger...