Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

1SICKRANT:Is it just me or I don't like the look of most new cars/SUVs (NWS pics)

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-06, 12:22 AM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
good post, not arguing that point at all. But IMO, look at that Legend, what a beauty! And it attracts attention, without having to say "HEY, LOOK PLEASE LOOK AT ME".
Thanks!

However, because I'm just the arguing type, doesn't the general shape of the Legend look familiar to you? Maybe if you added a line down the center of the grille? Does it not look a bit familiar to, say...

I mean, I do agree the Legend looks fantastic, but only because the old 7er looked fantastic too, in a squarish, brick-ish way.
Old 06-27-06, 12:25 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by knihc2008
Most revolutionary designs of yore were considered revolutionary only because they weren't square. The SC300/400, the Taurus, the E-Class, etc. All other cars of the time were just square boxes, as I posted above. Revolutionary = not square. That's it. And quite frankly, can you imagine the vehicles we'd be driving if that was the extent of our imagination?

Thankfully, it was not. We've got stunning shapes now, and not because they're just round. Look at the rear taillamp of the IS. Look at the layered bustle of the 6er. Look at the sharpness of the crease-arrow of the 3er. Admittedly, there is some design that is just appalling. The Escalade screams out gangsta-grilles, as you pointed out, but that's because that's what Escalades DO. They're supposed to be the king of bling. They always have been. So in that sense, the designers have done their job perfectly, havent they? Same with the 300C (and aftermarket suppliers of grilles don't count, of course!): It's supposed to be bling, it's supposed to be imposing, it's supposed be mobster like. And, honestly, it's a lot better looking than the 300M and Concorde, is it not?
Not sure I can agree with that. IMO, a great test of design is TIME. If a car looks good today as it did 5 or 10 years ago (hell most would want their car to look good by the time its paid off), then the designers did their job.

If you got everyone looking NOW at your car and 2 years later, you HAVE to give it a face/butt lift and then WHAM a new model, ESPECIALLY In the luxury class, you have failed as a designer.

What is tough to balance for luxury cars is the fact, people do want what is "NEW" but at the same time, resale and not to much change is waht makes them luxury cars.
The G35 sedan has only been out 4 years and its redesigned already. The designers failed on the sedan, that is way to quick. The 7 got a facelift and made it look tons better. The LS 430 got a facelift and got tons better.

The E39 5 and 2GS, barely changed in what, 7 years. That is design TO ME.

Old 06-27-06, 12:31 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by knihc2008
Thanks!

However, because I'm just the arguing type, doesn't the general shape of the Legend look familiar to you? Maybe if you added a line down the center of the grille? Does it not look a bit familiar to, say...

I mean, I do agree the Legend looks fantastic, but only because the old 7er looked fantastic too, in a squarish, brick-ish way.
Yes, hell the Legend looked like the Accord of that time. However, those were IMO great looking cars at that time and to this day, good looking cars. They do not look that dated, they are old but don't scream early 90s.

Now there is some DRAMATIC design that is timeless. The Lamborghini countach debuted in the early 1970s and lasted to the late 90s. True they added tons of air dams, wings, a kit but it was timeless.

Porsche 911 comes to mind. Timeless without screaming "HEY LOOK AT ME" or "I will only look good 3 years tops".

I am not saying every car should be expected to be a classic. But today, it seems COMPUTERS control the designers, not the other way around

Old 06-27-06, 12:57 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

I can't believe I actually agree to all points.

The E39 is by far one of the best looking cars on the road. Its a shame everyone has to make their care more bubbly.
Old 06-27-06, 03:23 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Though I tend to use somewhat less graphic language than 1SICK does, most of what he says about of today's car designs is right on the mark. Some of what I see in today's market is enough to make me disgorge the contents of my last meal. I see nothing attractive about humpback-whale roofs, sweep-back headlights that go halfway back up the hood, cheap silver-painted plastic all over the interior, grilles that look like a tuna sucking wind, and trunk lids that look like they are halfway open.
In addition, unlike some other people, I'm getting tired of continually seeing larger and larger wheels, lower-profile-tires, and firmer and firmer suspensions. Riding comfort on even luxury cars is being ignored in an attempt to make everything sports sedans and get lower and lower lap times around the Nurburgring.
Old 06-27-06, 04:23 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Thumbs down Chrysler 300

There are plenty of cars that I find unattractive but my current favorite would be the Chrysler 300. No wonder they have to offer 0% financing for 6 years & 30 day $$$ back guarantee.

Of course, bling-blinging your 300 makes it all the worse:

Oh & I still do not know what to make of the Chevrolet SSR

Old 06-27-06, 05:47 AM
jrock65
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Not sure I can agree with that. IMO, a great test of design is TIME. If a car looks good today as it did 5 or 10 years ago (hell most would want their car to look good by the time its paid off), then the designers did their job.

If you got everyone looking NOW at your car and 2 years later, you HAVE to give it a face/butt lift and then WHAM a new model, ESPECIALLY In the luxury class, you have failed as a designer.

What is tough to balance for luxury cars is the fact, people do want what is "NEW" but at the same time, resale and not to much change is waht makes them luxury cars.
The G35 sedan has only been out 4 years and its redesigned already. The designers failed on the sedan, that is way to quick. The 7 got a facelift and made it look tons better. The LS 430 got a facelift and got tons better.

The E39 5 and 2GS, barely changed in what, 7 years. That is design TO ME.
The G35 sedan is a 5 year old design. It was out in Japan (Skyline) more than a year before it came to our shores. It is being redesigned as part of a normal 5 year cycle.

The 2GS (which is a pretty ugly car, not even in the same league as the E39 5 series) barely changed for 7-8 years. And look how pathetic its sales were in its last 3 years.
Old 06-27-06, 06:24 AM
CHIS350
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How about the Chrysler PT Cruiser? I know it seems kind of a joke, but that design has been out what, 8 years, and it still has pretty solid sales!
Old 06-27-06, 06:52 AM
DrDrilZ
Lead Lap

to quote sick, "GOT DAMN!"
even comes in doo doo brown. speaking of old school, it reminds of that song "brown, the brand new brutha in town..."

oh and that 740i looks hot!

and that new MB CL is pretty damn ugly too. wtf??? borderline bangle material.

Last edited by DrDrilZ; 06-27-06 at 07:00 AM.
Old 06-27-06, 07:29 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by DrDrilZ

to quote sick, "GOT DAMN!"
even comes in doo doo brown. speaking of old school, it reminds of that song "brown, the brand new brutha in town..."

oh and that 740i looks hot!

and that new MB CL is pretty damn ugly too. wtf??? borderline bangle material.
What to you mean, " doo-doo brown "? Brown can be a real classy color, and it is distinct....it's not what I call a " me-too " color either.....not a whole lot of vehicles offer it today.
Old 06-27-06, 08:24 AM
videcormeum
Lexus Champion

And that's why I like the new 2007 Volvo S80 ... it's the only fullsize that doesn't look like a steamy pile - IMO.

M.
Attached Thumbnails 1SICKRANT:Is it just me or I don't like the look of most new cars/SUVs (NWS pics)-2007s80.jpg  
Old 06-27-06, 08:45 AM
BlkGS3
Lexus Champion

Make this into a poll:

Old School
New School

I'm with 1SICK 100%, most new cars are just over the top and should have never been allowed into production (Note I did say most and not all cars). Over all new cars are an overkill of design and flashy features.
Old 06-27-06, 09:10 AM
GS3Tek

Received 168 Likes on 127 Posts

Interesting thread sick

I saw a black 7 exactly like that this weekend and couldn't believe how good it still looks

I want to add the X3 to the ugly/weird/wth -they we're thinking list

And regarding the old sc3/4, they look like the porsche 928. As a matter of fact, I remembered seeing an old school sc with the plate "928 WNB"

sorry this is a wrecked 928:

Last edited by GS3Tek; 06-27-06 at 09:15 AM.
Old 06-27-06, 10:23 AM
Yoko
Driver

Lol, i thought the subaru one was funny.
Old 06-27-06, 10:36 AM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jrock65
The 2GS (which is a pretty ugly car, not even in the same league as the E39 5 series) barely changed for 7-8 years. And look how pathetic its sales were in its last 3 years.
Not sure everyone on this LEXUS board will agree with you about the 2GS being ugly... in stock form they do leave something to be desired, but were unique with their four headlight/four taillight design and subtle fender flares. Lowered on a nice set set of wheels, the 2GS looks fantastic; I would venture to say that in car-crazy southern California, with a similarly modified 2GS and E39 parked side-by-side, the Lexus will get more attention...

The E39 can be described as a handsome car at best. I looked at the E39 540i before buying the GS but I ultimately decided (besides the reliability issues) that the BMW was a little uninspired looking, seemingly a shortened E38 7-series. I would have been bored of looking at the BMW in short order. I still think the E39 is fairly handsome in a 'dated' way; the side mouldings are overwrought and the bumpers are filled with random caps and covers... not to mention the pretentious double kidney grille.

Quick Reply: 1SICKRANT:Is it just me or I don't like the look of most new cars/SUVs (NWS pics)