Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

1SICKRANT:Is it just me or I don't like the look of most new cars/SUVs (NWS pics)

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-06, 02:55 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 340 Likes on 292 Posts

Originally Posted by JLSC4
Never seen an episode of "Cribs" whatever that is.

Not to argue, but most of the 300's I see are certainly not the young crowd (they really can't afford them). It's people in their 30's, 40's, 50's 60's, and 70's. It somehow appeals to everyone from
rappers to old ladies.
How could a full size sedan costing $23k - 35+k be designed for specifically for urban youth???
This is the opposite ingredients for an urban youth car.
thats funny b/c i see young guys driving them all around new york and atlanta plus everywhere else up and down the east coast which is where i travel alot
Old 06-27-06, 02:59 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by RON430
Once again, sorry if this is off topic but if we're ranting, let's rant.

I can give up on a lot of things, both my and my wife's E types were straight sixes when the Corvette had its big thumping V8 but I would not have given the E type up for anything because it was simply drop dead gorgeous. Still is. ,.
No, it's not off-topic. That is the purpose of this thread....our opinions on the design of new cars vs. old ones.

Didn't the XKE have a V12 option like some other Jags? The engine compartment was certainly long enough for it.

BTW.....if you are an XKE fanatic, get in touch with Peter Egan of ROAD and TRACK magazine. He rebilds old British cars and has had several XKEs...does a column every month in the magazine.
Old 06-27-06, 03:06 PM
jrock65
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

And Jrock, sorry but your smoking rocks if you think that bad about the 2GS. You got to be kidding me. That design is SO INFLUENTIAL and groundbreaking in a GOOD way, every Nissan the past 6 years looks like it in one way shape or form.
Talk about the car, not me. Notice that I'm giving my opinion about cars, not ridiculing your opinions or the opinions of others?

Fine, in your OPINION every Nissan copied your former GS. You've said that about 100 times already. I still think it's ugly.
Old 06-27-06, 03:43 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
No, it's not off-topic. That is the purpose of this thread....our opinions on the design of new cars vs. old ones.

Didn't the XKE have a V12 option like some other Jags? The engine compartment was certainly long enough for it.

BTW.....if you are an XKE fanatic, get in touch with Peter Egan of ROAD and TRACK magazine. He rebilds old British cars and has had several XKEs...does a column every month in the magazine.
I'm not so much an E type fanatic as much as I just happened to have owned one. My wife had as well. I look at pictures of that car today and it is still gorgeous. The Series I, II, and a lot of III were all straight sixes. I had a Series III with the straight six right before the twelves came out. Twelve cylinder engines are amazing, almost electric feel, but the "purists" will argue that the real E types were true descendants of the D type and had the straight six. I am not so much of a purist and I had all the fun I could stand with a UniSyn trying to get the multiple side draft carbs to draw equally so the six was fine for me. But in most ways, it would be a competitive car today although it is anyone's guess what the bumpers would look like. I have finally had a chance to get up close and personal with the new XK and it is a bit disappointing to me. It might be an improvement over the previous version but not exactly what I wanted. In order to get better handling, the ride has stiffened up quite a bit and that pretty much turned me off.

I should also point out that I am not so convinced that the old designs were so much better than today but it is just that there have been some classic designs like the E type and the previous gen bimmers but most everything today is just dull, unimaginative, or out and out fugly. The Audi maw is not anywhere as noticeable when you are standing up next to the car but get away from them and, just like the Vdubs, you ask yourself "What were they thinking?" And sorry to continue but I am simply astonished at how annoying some bits of modern cars are. I appreciate modcons but the 69 Z28 had a fixed steering wheel, fixed pedals, a non-adjustable seat back, no lumbar cushion and barely any travel fore and aft but I had no trouble getting comfortable in it. I get into a 750iL with 65 microprocessors (complete with the worlds worst computer interface), a 137 way adjustable seat, bun warmers, bun coolers, a steering wheel that has more positions than the Kama Sutra and I can't get comfortable in the thing. Annoying.
Old 06-27-06, 03:53 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jrock65
I'm totally cool with that. Styling is simply a subjective area and I'm sure many (especially at a Lexus forum) will disagree with me.

I used to think that the 2GS looked fine, but now I think it's ugly every time I see one. Can't really explain why. I think it's mainly the headlights and the bulbous profile.

I don't quite agree that it is ugly, but the 2GS is definately one car if I owned I would not leave stock. I think modified they are really nice, but kind of bland in pure bone stock form. The E39 with OEM M-Tech and sports package on the other hand I could actually leave stock and be happy with the looks. I think it is because of the boxy shape of the G2 GS compared to the smooth look of the E39. I like the smooth look better, thus why I'm not a particulary huge fan of the L-Finess style since it has many hard lines and is very edgy. Not ungly, just a style I'm not 100% ready for.
Old 06-27-06, 04:32 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by jrock65
Talk about the car, not me. Notice that I'm giving my opinion about cars, not ridiculing your opinions or the opinions of others?

Fine, in your OPINION every Nissan copied your former GS. You've said that about 100 times already. I still think it's ugly.
So basically, your saying the original, the 2GS is ugly, but the knock-off Nissans and all the influenced sedans are fine.

That is fine I guess.

People that don't see the 2GS lines in Nissans are blind. Period. The influence is all over, from the swooping roofline to the round turn signal in the headlamps, down the Nissan raping Altezzas from the IS 300.

Which now brings me to my next point, Altezzas.

Old 06-27-06, 04:54 PM
jrock65
Lexus Test Driver

So basically, your saying the original, the 2GS is ugly, but the knock-off Nissans and all the influenced sedans are fine.

That is fine I guess.
Please stop attributing things to me that I did not say. I did not comment, whether positive, negative, or otherwise, about the design of Nissans. You're the one that brought up Nissans, as you're often apt to do.

Sure, the 2GS had some influence on other sedans. Many sedans have influence on each other. I'm sure that other sedans had some influence on the 2GS itself as well.

Even if there is a design influence, subtle changes can make a big difference. Take an ugly car, make just a few little changes to it, and it can be fine.

Sorry you're so insulted that I think the 2GS is ugly. As I said, many will not agree with that. No need for the personal ridiculing and getting all worked up about it.
Old 06-27-06, 04:57 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator
Administrator

Received 2,332 Likes on 1,419 Posts

Guys back on topic or take it to PM.
Old 06-27-06, 05:44 PM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And Jrock, sorry but your smoking rocks if you think that bad about the 2GS. You got to be kidding me. That design is SO INFLUENTIAL and groundbreaking in a GOOD way, every Nissan the past 6 years looks like it in one way shape or form.
Influential and groundbreaking? What car did it influence exactly?

The only influence I see going on in the 2GS is the way it copied the E-Class's quad headlamps.
Old 06-27-06, 05:47 PM
videcormeum
Lexus Champion

I'm pretty sure Chrysler/Dodge has had some quality/reliability problems w/ the 5.7 liter "hemi" engine.

So I wouldn't count it among Chrysler's quality achievements - though it has had a remarkable effect (with some marketing help) on sales.

M.
Old 06-27-06, 06:23 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by knihc2008
Influential and groundbreaking? What car did it influence exactly?

The only influence I see going on in the 2GS is the way it copied the E-Class's quad headlamps.
No, the E-Class copied taurus
Old 06-27-06, 06:41 PM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Och
No, the E-Class copied taurus
Are you serious?
Old 06-27-06, 06:49 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by RON430
Now, with apologies to 1Sick who can tell me that this is not appropriate, my other big gripe is how annoying cars have gotten. I can't believe that cars that still drive fairly well, like bimmers, have gone so far out of their way to put systems or ergonomic details in their cars that are just flat annoying on a daily basis. And the best defense that the supporters of these brands come up with to defend their fine marque is that you have to be some sort of troglodite to not want to devote the time to learn the screwy systems in their cars and that you are just a low life if you don't pop a couple of thousand bucks to get a somewhat more comfortable seat.

Enough already. 80 or a hundred large for a car with a design whose best points are the fact that you can't see them from the drivers seat with a bewildering assortment array of technology that was incorporated for technology's sake that makes me constantly look at the dash wondering when the thing will stop dead and put up a blue screen of death that commands me to insert the boot disk late one night is ridiculous.
Great post! It's funny you mention ergonomics (or lack thereof). Design is more than exterior aesthetics; it how you interface with the car and the tactile feel of the controls.

I've been driving a new 750iL the last few days. The car looks pretty sharp with its' 22" wheels and Sport package- it certainly has presence on the road and gets looks from other drivers.

There are a few things that have frustrated me about it, though. iDrive. You really need a 15 minute primer to figure out how to work this thing. When I first got in the car, the A/C and the radio were both on full-blast. Within a few seconds, I arranged to lower the radio volume through the steering wheel controls (the icons on the steering wheel aren't actually very intuitive, it turns out... I ended up changing the station at first) and I did figure out how to turn the noisy jet engine HVAC fan down to a tolerable and quiet speed via the manual controls on the dash.

For two days I drove the car choosing not to interface with the NAV system or do anything but listen to the radio (I can work part of this with the steering wheel). Today, I decided to just sit in the car (for a quite a few minutes) to familiarize myself with the iDrive controls. I'm a pretty smart guy, but it does take some getting used to. Frankly, it's not that easy to manipulate some of the higher functions while driving down the road- one must spend too much time staring at the display screen.

My other gripes;
-The Start/Stop button is hidden behind the steering wheel.
-The Shift control is pretty cool, but twice I have hit the lower lever arm and washed the windshield instead of putting the car in/out of gear. Embarassing... and so much for a clean car.
-The red dash lights. I find these difficult to focus on at night. I am sure that somewhere BMW has written white papers explaining why red is the best color for dash lights, but I can't stand it. This would be a deal breaker if I was in the market for a car like this.
-The seat controls are on the center console and not as intuitive as I would have expected.
-There are two Chicket-sized silver rectangular buttons at 10:00 and 2:00 on the steering wheel. I have no idea what these do.

It's the age-old thing; nobody wants 247 buttons on their dash... but a few is okay, isn't it? Heck, I actually like radios that have ***** on them for volume control. Am I old school?
Old 06-27-06, 08:11 PM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

I like radios with ***** too.

I predict the current crop of BMW's will have some of the best re-sale of any BMWs, so while I mostly agree with Rons posts (I think they're great posts, btw), I disagree that they will be undesirable.
Old 06-27-06, 08:17 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,514 Likes on 1,653 Posts

1SICK - hilarious first few posts in this thread - LMAO

I'm with you and most everyone on here that most designs are bland, ugly, or both. I actually think it's ALWAYS been this way though - most designs are crap, some are good, some are pretty timeless, but boy they are few.

One thing in car makers defence is the massive pressure they've been put under but safety zealots and soccer moms scared by the 5:30 news, Dateline, and 60 minutes that their vehicles are evil baby killers.

Fitting in a dozen airbags, computers, hydraulic actuators and motors, impact beams, knee bolsters, etc., and making sure bumpers and hoods fit stupid European pedestrian endangerment laws isn't easy but car makers have had to be pre-occupied with it. It doesn't totally excuse fugly cars but design is under a lot of constraints.

But there's still some good designs out there. Some I like:

New Lexus IS
Nissan 350Z.
Infiniti M.
Infiniti G35 coupe and sedan
Audi A3,A4,A6,A8 (yes I think they all look good, even despite the gaudy grilles)
Mercedes E class
Ford Mustang (yes it's retro but they did a great job - mmarshall I know you think the interior is cheap but I checked it out, didn't think it was that bad especially considering the price point, and as the ads go, you hear the rumble of the GT's exhausts and you don't care about the interior )
Anything Aston Martin makes
New Chevy Tahoe (saw one on the road - wow, very nice)
Acura RL (what can I say, I like it, except for the awful wheels)
Honda Civic coupe
Anything Bentley makes As I mentioned in another thread, I recently took a long look over a new Continental Flying Spur (4 door GT basically) and it was stunning. It even had better stock rims than the one in this pic.
Attached Thumbnails 1SICKRANT:Is it just me or I don't like the look of most new cars/SUVs (NWS pics)-flyingspur.jpg  

Quick Reply: 1SICKRANT:Is it just me or I don't like the look of most new cars/SUVs (NWS pics)