Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

1SICKRANT:Is it just me or I don't like the look of most new cars/SUVs (NWS pics)

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-06, 08:33 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
1SICK - hilarious first few posts in this thread - LMAO

I'm with you and most everyone on here that most designs are bland, ugly, or both. I actually think it's ALWAYS been this way though - most designs are crap, some are good, some are pretty timeless, but boy they are few.

One thing in car makers defence is the massive pressure they've been put under but safety zealots and soccer moms scared by the 5:30 news, Dateline, and 60 minutes that their vehicles are evil baby killers.

Fitting in a dozen airbags, computers, hydraulic actuators and motors, impact beams, knee bolsters, etc., and making sure bumpers and hoods fit stupid European pedestrian endangerment laws isn't easy but car makers have had to be pre-occupied with it. It doesn't totally excuse fugly cars but design is under a lot of constraints.

But there's still some good designs out there. Some I like:

New Lexus IS
Nissan 350Z.
Infiniti M.
Infiniti G35 coupe and sedan
Audi A3,A4,A6,A8 (yes I think they all look good, even despite the gaudy grilles)
Mercedes E class
Ford Mustang (yes it's retro but they did a great job - mmarshall I know you think the interior is cheap but I checked it out, didn't think it was that bad especially considering the price point, and as the ads go, you hear the rumble of the GT's exhausts and you don't care about the interior )
Anything Aston Martin makes
New Chevy Tahoe (saw one on the road - wow, very nice)
Acura RL (what can I say, I like it, except for the awful wheels)
Honda Civic coupe
Anything Bentley makes As I mentioned in another thread, I recently took a long look over a new Continental Flying Spur (4 door GT basically) and it was stunning. It even had better stock rims than the one in this pic.

Great points. Which brings me to another issue, the increase in size and weight of these cars. The new Camry is HUGE, bigger than a GS for instance. The mini cooper might not be a mini soon

Weight. A M6 weighs 3800lbs, a M45 4100 lbs, hell the IS 350 weighs 3500 lbs and its a small car. Just a few examples of weight.

Originally Posted by picus
I like radios with ***** too.

I predict the current crop of BMW's will have some of the best re-sale of any BMWs, so while I mostly agree with Rons posts (I think they're great posts, btw), I disagree that they will be undesirable.
You haven't seen resale for the 745 have you? BMWs have traditionally held very high resale.

Old 06-27-06, 09:02 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,429 Likes on 1,592 Posts

About weight... again all that safety stuff isn't light. And due to wonderfully quiet vehicles from Toyota the market has shifted to adding more and more sound deadening material. Then there's bigger rims and tires. And pushrods may be very old tech, but the engine block is TINY on them for the displacement compared to overhead cams, variable valve timing, etc. And how about speakers? Cheap cars used to have 2 speakers. Does ANY car have only 2 speakers? Mid-range cars may have 5, 6, 7. And that means a beefier heavier amp than in the past.

How come most cars seem to come with moon roofs now? They're HEAVY, and I hate them, but try getting many vehicles without one.

Glass? It's thicker. And heavier. Mirrors? They're bigger. They ALL motorized now. Many have heating elements. Oh and how many cars have wind up windows? Er, almost none? And power seats? I actually don't mind manual seats. Electric windows though are definitely nice.

Then there's hefty large LCD screens. Visor mirrors. ...

All these things add up.

Now '60s and '70s cars were large to enormous and VERY VERY heavy given how little equipment many of them had so it's all relative, but certainly in the past 10 years, the amount of 'stuff' in a car has gone WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY up.
Old 06-28-06, 01:33 AM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The amount of stuff has gone way up due in part to decreasing levels of tolerance (which, I guess, can be attributed to the invention of Lexus :P ). People will not stand for a loud car, people look for initial quality, whether it be the thickness and softness of a dashboard or the way a door in the center console opens and closes. And all that adds weight. Darn you, Lexus!

But seriously, back on subject to the design stuff.
Old 06-28-06, 09:44 AM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCalSC4
Great post! It's funny you mention ergonomics (or lack thereof). Design is more than exterior aesthetics; it how you interface with the car and the tactile feel of the controls.

I've been driving a new 750iL the last few days. The car looks pretty sharp with its' 22" wheels and Sport package- it certainly has presence on the road and gets looks from other drivers.

There are a few things that have frustrated me about it, though. iDrive. You really need a 15 minute primer to figure out how to work this thing. When I first got in the car, the A/C and the radio were both on full-blast. Within a few seconds, I arranged to lower the radio volume through the steering wheel controls (the icons on the steering wheel aren't actually very intuitive, it turns out... I ended up changing the station at first) and I did figure out how to turn the noisy jet engine HVAC fan down to a tolerable and quiet speed via the manual controls on the dash.

For two days I drove the car choosing not to interface with the NAV system or do anything but listen to the radio (I can work part of this with the steering wheel). Today, I decided to just sit in the car (for a quite a few minutes) to familiarize myself with the iDrive controls. I'm a pretty smart guy, but it does take some getting used to. Frankly, it's not that easy to manipulate some of the higher functions while driving down the road- one must spend too much time staring at the display screen.

My other gripes;
-The Start/Stop button is hidden behind the steering wheel.
-The Shift control is pretty cool, but twice I have hit the lower lever arm and washed the windshield instead of putting the car in/out of gear. Embarassing... and so much for a clean car.
-The red dash lights. I find these difficult to focus on at night. I am sure that somewhere BMW has written white papers explaining why red is the best color for dash lights, but I can't stand it. This would be a deal breaker if I was in the market for a car like this.
-The seat controls are on the center console and not as intuitive as I would have expected.
-There are two Chicket-sized silver rectangular buttons at 10:00 and 2:00 on the steering wheel. I have no idea what these do.

It's the age-old thing; nobody wants 247 buttons on their dash... but a few is okay, isn't it? Heck, I actually like radios that have ***** on them for volume control. Am I old school?
I had a business associates 750iL for about a week at Christmas and while very roomy and with glimmers of bimmer wonderfulness, there were way too many annoyances in the car. I have not spent as much time in the new S but I get the feeling that I have as big a number of issues with it that are annoying. I have read the reasoning behind i drive and its clones are that there too many buttons. If the Europeans really lead in technology, the first thing they could do is decide how many of those hundreds of buttons are really needed in day to day driving. My guess is that most of them are never or rarely used. But to load the car up with these things and then claim they need a computer control to "simplify" it is technological rationalization of the absurd. I did not know if ergonomics was the right word but I find that many of the new car designs are taking steps backwards in their human factors and I just don't understand it. Especially at the prices that are being asked nowadays.
Old 06-28-06, 09:49 AM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by picus
I like radios with ***** too.

I predict the current crop of BMW's will have some of the best re-sale of any BMWs, so while I mostly agree with Rons posts (I think they're great posts, btw), I disagree that they will be undesirable.
Maybe agree to disagree but it will depend somewhat on what bimmer goes to after the current designs are replaced. While I think the current crop will be some of the least desirable it could well be other factors that affect resale, as it will Lexus, more than design. The electronic systems in all these cars are getting to be quite daunting prospects for those who are looking to get a buy and a classic. I sure as heck would not want one of the current bimmers or Lexus or whatever once the factory quits supporting them, usually around seven years after the model is discontinued. And, while I can't exactly imagine it, bimmer could get designs that make people look on the current ones with the same admiration as people have for the previous gen bimmers now. All I can do is hope that bimmer roles out some stunners when they get serious replacing the current crop. We deserve it. I have given up thinking they will ever build reliable cars, just part of the price you pay.
Old 06-28-06, 10:01 AM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

About weight... again all that safety stuff isn't light. And due to wonderfully quiet vehicles from Toyota the market has shifted to adding more and more sound deadening material. Then there's bigger rims and tires. And pushrods may be very old tech, but the engine block is TINY on them for the displacement compared to overhead cams, variable valve timing, etc. And how about speakers? Cheap cars used to have 2 speakers. Does ANY car have only 2 speakers? Mid-range cars may have 5, 6, 7. And that means a beefier heavier amp than in the past.

How come most cars seem to come with moon roofs now? They're HEAVY, and I hate them, but try getting many vehicles without one.

Glass? It's thicker. And heavier. Mirrors? They're bigger. They ALL motorized now. Many have heating elements. Oh and how many cars have wind up windows? Er, almost none? And power seats? I actually don't mind manual seats. Electric windows though are definitely nice.

All these things add up.

Now '60s and '70s cars were large to enormous and VERY VERY heavy given how little equipment many of them had so it's all relative, but certainly in the past 10 years, the amount of 'stuff' in a car has gone WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY up.
Hey bit, do you think this is about to reverse? In the final analysis there aren't that many ways to increase mileage, especially if you want to leave some performance in the vehicle, other than put them on a diet. We have come through this period where people were really comfortable with the price of gas so we got mega hp and real porkers from everyone. Without trying to hijack this thread maybe this is one of my biggest complaints about hybrids, there is something in me that is uncomfortable with a technology that adds mileage with a couple of hundred pounds. The suspension and driving dynamics of Lexus are not anywhere near the point where they can tolerate the electronic cellulite. Jaguar and Audi have tried to make some attempts at cutting weight although I think you might be able to argue that they haven't been all that successful but at least they have been trying. Bimmer and Merc are making the right sounds but I will wait to see where they go. As for the cars in the 60s and 70s, yes they were very heavy but there isn't a car made today that has the room of the large cars in the 60s and 70s. LWB bimmers and mercs have pretty good legroom but width still seems to be down in comparison to the 60s barges. Maybe there wasn't a lot of passion in their designs but there sure was in the back seat at the drive in. Memories....
Old 06-28-06, 10:45 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

All these things add up.

I agree that government regulations and customer-demanded equipment has driven the weight up on many of today's vehicles, but if you compare today's auto glass with that of 30-40 years ago, you will see that the glass was much thicker then.....one of the reasons why it cracks and chips so easily today when pebbles and road debris hit it.
Sheet metal has also gotten thinner. 30-40 years ago you could sit on a fender and not have the metal buckle. Try that today........especially someone my size........and that body panel will look like moon craters.
Old 06-28-06, 12:52 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

1SICK - hilarious first few posts in this thread - LMAO

I'm with you and most everyone on here that most designs are bland, ugly, or both. I actually think it's ALWAYS been this way though - most designs are crap, some are good, some are pretty timeless, but boy they are few.

One thing in car makers defence is the massive pressure they've been put under but safety zealots and soccer moms scared by the 5:30 news, Dateline, and 60 minutes that their vehicles are evil baby killers.

Fitting in a dozen airbags, computers, hydraulic actuators and motors, impact beams, knee bolsters, etc., and making sure bumpers and hoods fit stupid European pedestrian endangerment laws isn't easy but car makers have had to be pre-occupied with it. It doesn't totally excuse fugly cars but design is under a lot of constraints.

But there's still some good designs out there. Some I like:

New Lexus IS
Nissan 350Z.
Infiniti M.
Infiniti G35 coupe and sedan
Audi A3,A4,A6,A8 (yes I think they all look good, even despite the gaudy grilles)
Mercedes E class
Ford Mustang (yes it's retro but they did a great job - mmarshall I know you think the interior is cheap but I checked it out, didn't think it was that bad especially considering the price point, and as the ads go, you hear the rumble of the GT's exhausts and you don't care about the interior )
Anything Aston Martin makes
New Chevy Tahoe (saw one on the road - wow, very nice)
Acura RL (what can I say, I like it, except for the awful wheels)
Honda Civic coupe
Anything Bentley makes As I mentioned in another thread, I recently took a long look over a new Continental Flying Spur (4 door GT basically) and it was stunning. It even had better stock rims than the one in this pic.
In order to bring this back to the original point somewhat, I started thinking about what designs today might end up being classic beauties. About the only one on bits' list that I would give a nod to would be the Bentley and the Aston but I am not sure it gets me passionate about investing what it would take to drive one. The Mustang? I am not sure since it is heavily derivative of the originals but maybe. I believe that if you look historically that there was ever a time when there was a large amount of classic designs but I have to agree with 1Sick a lot, there are more boring, unimaginative, or out and out crappy designs popping up today than I can remember. And once again restating the previous comments, I am amazed at how many really annoying features are showing up in cars. This idiotic drive to improve things that don't need improving is one thing but I really don't think that a car, especially in the high end of the market, should have as many annoying features as they put in them today. I really hope Detroit can get its act together but I am not holding my breath. I wonder where our next classic designs will come from?

PS. The weight and dimension aspect robbing aside, it wouldn't bother me to have sun/moon roofs become non standard, I rarely use it and would prefer to get rid of the weight, potential noise, and cost but it is just impossible to do.
Old 06-28-06, 08:23 PM
LexFather

Does everyone think they are now orginal with the droopy headlight look? I think the Dodge Ram had that back 5 years ago, with the headlight cut into the bumper. It looks like your no offense, retarted or "slow"

I can't think of anymore, can yall? Cars where the headlight juts into the bumper.

Old 06-28-06, 09:39 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,429 Likes on 1,592 Posts

I still think the newest Passat is a really nice looking car.
Old 06-28-06, 10:08 PM
LexFather

My rant is over. Going to let this one die.

THANKS EVERYONE!