Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Merged Sirius Satellite Radio Threads

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-06, 12:05 PM
kaslead
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After the plastic housing is removed, it sounds like the existing connector should work. Unless this is too loose, as you said?

If it only needs a new connector, I think I could do that myself too, just need to find where to get the part.
Old 10-31-06, 12:12 PM
KCCraash
Rookie

Originally Posted by kaslead
After the plastic housing is removed, it sounds like the existing connector should work. Unless this is too loose, as you said?

If it only needs a new connector, I think I could do that myself too, just need to find where to get the part.
That is correct, the only issue that I'm aware of is if the connector MAY BE loose.

As far as a new connector, I have a couple I could send to you, but they require a special crimper for the outer shell (I have one of those, too), and the inner shell is solder on. It's tiny, which is another reason I decided to outsource it.
Old 10-31-06, 02:50 PM
kaslead
Rookie

Originally Posted by KCCraash
As far as a new connector, I have a couple I could send to you, but they require a special crimper for the outer shell (I have one of those, too), and the inner shell is solder on. It's tiny, which is another reason I decided to outsource it.
Thanks for the offer - I actually found the person you mentioned on Siriusbackstage who makes the cables. He also makes an adapter for the sharkfin connector to the Sirius receiver (FAKRA to SMB), so I'll probably just buy that for a clean install. I'm looking forward to good reception, since the antenna on the package shelf doesn't work too well.
Old 10-31-06, 03:19 PM
istundra
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for the offer - I actually found the person you mentioned on Siriusbackstage who makes the cables. He also makes an adapter for the sharkfin connector to the Sirius receiver (FAKRA to SMB), so I'll probably just buy that for a clean install. I'm looking forward to good reception, since the antenna on the package shelf doesn't work too well.
Wow!

Do you have that guy's contact info? I am very interested.

The antenna was my big concern. I want to keep everything appear OEM.
Old 10-31-06, 03:26 PM
kaslead
Rookie

Originally Posted by istundra
Wow!

Do you have that guy's contact info? I am very interested.

The antenna was my big concern. I want to keep everything appear OEM.
Here's a link to the thread on Siriusbackstage about the connector. I hope this is ok to post!

http://www.siriusbackstage.com/forum...ad.php?t=86756
Old 10-31-06, 03:52 PM
istundra
Pole Position

Here's a link to the thread on Siriusbackstage about the connector. I hope this is ok to post!

What's the person's name?

Is it brian?

This is very valuable information to IS Owners.
Old 10-31-06, 04:54 PM
kaslead
Rookie

I'm not sure if his name is Brian, but I would guess from his handle of brianrwebb. I emailed him today to ask about purchasing it but haven't heard back yet.

I also just found this adapter, which may work but I can't tell for sure:

http://www.tss-radio.com/sirius-sing...er-p-3883.html
Old 10-31-06, 06:18 PM
KCCraash
Rookie

I'm not sure if his name is Brian, but I would guess from his handle of brianrwebb. I emailed him today to ask about purchasing it but haven't heard back yet.

I also just found this adapter, which may work but I can't tell for sure:

http://www.tss-radio.com/sirius-sing...er-p-3883.html
Brian is his name.

Although I can't tell 100% from the picture, that does not look like the adapter we need for our 07 IS's. Besides, I suspect Brian's price will be cheaper than that unit.
Old 10-31-06, 06:20 PM
KCCraash
Rookie

I think this will be the best method. Had I know about it before my cable was damaged, I would have gone that route. Of course I found him WHILE looking for a way to repair my cable.
Old 10-31-06, 06:56 PM
kaslead
Rookie

Originally Posted by KCCraash
I think this will be the best method. Had I know about it before my cable was damaged, I would have gone that route. Of course I found him WHILE looking for a way to repair my cable.
KCCraash,

Since I don't have the unit yet, can you please confirm if the connectors depicted in this thread are the right ones for the adapter?

Old 10-31-06, 11:35 PM
istundra
Pole Position

Default Attention 2007 IS Nav w/o ML

Hello,

I currently have a 2007 IS Nav w/o ML.

I emailed Brian and he said that he can produce a cable with 2 ends.

1. FAKRA type connection plug typically for OEM XM Tuners.
2. SMB type connection plug typically for OEM and/or Aftermarket Sirius Tuners.

With this cable, it will be a PLUG/PLAY conversion for Lexus OEM XM Antennas to be used on OEM and/or Aftermarket Sirius Tuners.

Great News I'd say!

Now I have 2 questions for the people who have installed Sirius Tuners from Sewell Lexus for Nav w/o ML.

1. To confirm, Did you use aftermarket Sirius Antenna with the Sewell Lexus Sirius Tuner?
2. Where was the Sirius Tuner mounted? In the Trunk or At the Front Dash?

I need to make sure that this is indeed the conversion cable I'd need to use when utilizing the 2007 OEM Sharkfin with the Sewell Sirius Tuner.

Thank you all for your help! My vision is now becoming closer to a reality!
Old 10-31-06, 11:59 PM
istundra
Pole Position

Ok i found this.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...&postcount=255

For those of you who do not have the Mark Levinson sound system, then the correct Sirius kit will be the one that is required to mount behind the radio.

The only Sirius kit for the IS that will mount in the trunk will be for those IS models that are equipped with the ML package.
Old 11-01-06, 12:04 AM
istundra
Pole Position

Ok i found this too!

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...&postcount=250

Recently acquired, we now have a Sirius kit for the IS models without ML. Our test car has the radio ID number P1809 which can be seen in the lower right hand corner of the radio. We have not tested this unit in non-NAV IS models as of yet. With this kit, the installation is performed in the dash with removing the radio and plugging in the correct harness, then running the SIGMA antenna (the larger triangular Sirius antenna) up and around and mounting the antenna to the interior of the windshield. Installation instructions are not available at this time for this unit.

For those of you who have further questions, feel free to contact me directly and I'll give you answers to any technical questions you may have.
Darrel 214-353-2826 or Ryan 214-353-2860

Have any1 figured out if the IS Models without ML have the option to utilize an aftermarket antenna like the models who do have ML?

If so, I may be geared into the direction of this adapter.
Old 11-01-06, 12:21 AM
istundra
Pole Position

Found this one too! not sure if this would answer my question about using aftermarket antenna with the ES non ML Sirius Units (Uses the Lambda Shaped).

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...4&postcount=87

Yeah, I'm for real. I was going to take pics of my install for a DIY but I was up at midnight before I started and just wanted to get it done before the trip. I'll be happy to post pics of anything you want, barring disassembling the trunk again.
I think its the ES kit. I could be wrong. I didn't get an antenna so I just used a Sirius antenna I use with my S50. You can pick up extra antennas on eBay pretty cheap.

If this member really used a universal type of Antenna with the Non ML Sirius Tuners, then I think I answered my own question.
Old 11-01-06, 04:42 PM
kaslead
Rookie

Originally Posted by istundra
Have any1 figured out if the IS Models without ML have the option to utilize an aftermarket antenna like the models who do have ML?

If so, I may be geared into the direction of this adapter.
One thing you should consider is that the ML Sirius receiver mounts in the trunk. The sharkfin antenna lead is also in the trunk, so everything is in the same place.

Since the non-ML unit mounts in the dash, you would have to run an extension cable from the dash to the trunk to use the sharkfin. It's possible though, as KCCraash mentioned. In fact, Brian on Siriusbackstage said he can make the adapter any length, so you might be able to use that as the extension also (assuming no/minimal signal loss over that distance).

I ordered the adapter today from Brian to connect the sharkfin to the ML Sirius receiver. He was very helpful and knowledgeable. I should have the ML Sirius unit this week for a weekend install. I'll post comments when I finish.

Quick Reply: Merged Sirius Satellite Radio Threads