Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Merged Sirius Satellite Radio Threads

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-06 | 07:50 PM
kaslead
Rookie

Originally Posted by istundra
You had the Vais unit?

How is the performance between the Vais and the Sewell unit?

Is your Vais unit for sale?
Yes, I had the Vais unit. Check a few pages back in this thread, I compared the Vais unit to the unit Sewell sells. Short answer - I found the Sewell unit much better. I bought the Vais unit from the dealer, they took it back and gave me a refund.
Old 11-12-06 | 09:12 PM
istundra
Pole Position

Originally Posted by kaslead
Yes, I had the Vais unit. Check a few pages back in this thread, I compared the Vais unit to the unit Sewell sells. Short answer - I found the Sewell unit much better. I bought the Vais unit from the dealer, they took it back and gave me a refund.
Oh ok great.

From looking at the picture...

It looks like the plug from the antenna will plug into the one into the car.

Maybe i can buy the antenna... use the plug merely for the adapter?
Old 11-13-06 | 04:58 AM
BounceNY
Lexus Test Driver

The vaistech units are for Ipod
Vaistech does make a Sirius unit. It is called the Vaistech SLS and it will be part of the group buy along with the other units (SLI, SLX, and SLU).

See post #209
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...219511&page=14
Old 11-13-06 | 05:51 AM
KCCraash
Rookie

Dealer replaced it with what type of end? for Sirius or XM?

Dealer installed a Sirius connector. YMMV, though, as others have not had much luck asking their dealer to do it.
Old 11-13-06 | 05:54 AM
KCCraash
Rookie

Originally Posted by kaslead
This is what I talked to Brian about, and he said he would need to buy the harness part from Lexus to make it work since it's a proprietary part.

If you are somewhat handy, you should be able to install the SMB connector yourself with the right parts.

Ah, so he's thinking the harness is the only source for the connector.

I had purchased the SMB connector (4 of them, actually) along with the crimper for the outer shell (inner was solder on). However, before I attempted the repair, the dealer agread to take care of it. I paid $100 bucks for it, and IMO it was well worth it. My life is busy enough without having to strip the trunk again, not to mention the actual solder repair.
Old 11-14-06 | 05:07 AM
BounceNY
Lexus Test Driver

Default Trunk hinge cover removal...

Anyone know how to get the plastic covers off the trunk hinges? There looks to be a clip on it, but it looks different then the others. I'm planning on routing the antenna wire through this.

Second question, where can we get those clip removal tools? or is it ok to just carefully use a screw driver?

Thanks.
Old 11-14-06 | 07:07 AM
mattssi
Pole Position

You can get them from crutchfield or any stereo installer shop. Highly recommended. Brokent and bent clips are a pita.
Old 11-15-06 | 10:07 AM
BounceNY
Lexus Test Driver

I went out and bought the generic clip removal tool from the local auto parts store. This tool looks like it will work fine for the clips on the carpeted areas. But the two clips I'm not sure how to take out are the one's on the trunk hinge. When you open the trunk, look at the hinges. The plastic that covers the hinge, has a clip on it and its pretty flush. Any idea how to get that off without breaking anything?
Old 11-15-06 | 01:29 PM
kaslead
Rookie

I used the sharkfin so I didn't have to remove the plastic covers, but maybe a Lexus dealer can help. For something that minor, I doubt they would charge you, or at least they could tell you how to do it.
Old 11-15-06 | 03:44 PM
BounceNY
Lexus Test Driver

Good idea, my next oil change is coming up soon, I will ask them if I'm still having problems.
Old 12-01-06 | 10:34 PM
lechuck4lf
Rookie

Hey guys, I have an 06 No Nav/No ML but I want to get sirius. Anyone try the Sewell kit on a Non Nav unit? Also, since I do not have a shark fin can I just run the antenna to the back?
Old 12-04-06 | 06:07 AM
KCCraash
Rookie

I'm not sure what to tell you on the Non-Nav Kit, athough I though they had a seperate Part number.

As far as the antenna, most people, myself included, tried the rear package shelf as a location for the 'button' antenna. I found that performance wasn't acceptable there. As always your experience may be different.
Old 12-04-06 | 06:52 AM
uschardcor
Lexus Test Driver

hey guys, i've tried reading through this thread, gave up on page 8.

what is the current status of all of this? is there a unit approved by lexus yet for an 06 w/ nav no ml?

also anyone know the situation w/ ncaa sports on satrad? i think its done by division, like the sec is on sirius and others on xm, or something.

i'm interested in satrad but don't want to worry about headaches with it.

oh yea, i'd also like to NOT have a fin on my room, and have the antenna as inconspicuous as possible, possible?
Old 12-04-06 | 03:41 PM
golfproatl
Pole Position

Hey KCCrassh and/or Kaslead,

What is the latest with the Sewell Sirius unit for ML and hooking it up to the Fin? One of you was in contact with some dude on another forum that was maybe going to produce one (cable/attachment) for you. Just wondering and if not..What do I need to do to hook up the Sewell/Sirius unit to my fin??

Not having Sirius and not having a plug and play solution is getting real freakin old.

I know I can use the pill box antenna on the trunk or rear lid and so on, but I don't want to settle for that if I can use the damn fin!

It seems like it my be easier to get NFL and Howard to move to XM than getting Sirius in my freakin Lexus.

Thanks for any more help you can give me/us
Old 12-05-06 | 08:24 AM
tay100
Driver School Candidate

Default Vaistech XM unit with shark fin Questions

Hello everyone,

I am obviously a newbie to ths forum, in fact ths is my first post. I have already read this long thread on messages but I am unclear on a few things. One thing I am clear about is that most people prefer Sirius. I do too but I will go with XM for now. Hopefully someone will take pitty and post responses for me soon!

Another point well made is that no Sirius tuner system will work with the shark fin without modifying the shark fin connector.

My questions are about the satellite radio topic of course. I have just bought a 2007 IS250 with the navigation system but it did not come with satellite radio or the ML system. By the way, there is a reason I chose XM radio. The dealer said XM is the only option and promised to sell the upgrade at cost if I would buy the car (I didn't get this part in writing). But, the scum has effectively backed out . After the purhcase the dealer actually told me there are no satellite systems for the IS. Next it was an issue of no contracts in place with either Sirius or XM and finally the word was that it is XM only and on backorder indefinitely...and so on with the B.S.

Finally I bought a Vaistech system for XM. I was told the shark fin was XM only and I don't want anything that is not OEM or "finished" if I can avoid it. I wish I had known the OEM was available but it is too late...unless someone would like it at a good price!

Assuming I will install it, I want to do it myself; I've downloaded the instructions and read over posts and printed pages, etc. Instead of diving in and looking at the connections on my car I hope to refer to another persons discoveries saving a bit of time and aggravation.

Finally here are my questions:

1. Does anyone know if the Vaistech unit for XM can be installed in the trunk area? The Lexus instructions show installing the Fit Kit in the trunk next to the amp (which I assume is also part of my non-ML system). It seems logical to me that this unit can be installed in the trunk making it easeir to get to the shark fin cable.

2. On that note, will the shark fin cable plug into the Vaistech system as is without modification?

3. Are there any significant differences between the Lexus XM tuner and the Vaistech tuner regarding performance? Vaistech says theirs looks (on screen) and sounds like the Lexus unit. I hope so.

4. If the Vaistech (Sirius or XM) will not work with the shark fin plug has anyone been able to get an adapter of any sort AND install the Vaistech unit in the trunk?

5. As an alternative just in case will the shark fin cable plugs into the Lexus XM tuner (I guess some call it a Sewell unit) without modification? If the Lexus XM tuner will work with the shark fin cable and if can be installed in the trunk then this would have been the best option.

I appreciate the responses and help.

Last edited by tay100; 12-05-06 at 08:30 AM.

Quick Reply: Merged Sirius Satellite Radio Threads