Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Merged Sirius Satellite Radio Threads

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-06 | 04:29 PM
CyberVlad
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lexus-Parts
...here is the Sirius Satellite Tuner as shown on by IS. No splicing involved. This has been installed for about a month now. The large SIGMA (triangular shapped) antenna was placed at the rear windshield. Reception and sound quality is excellent, but I have found a few quirks.
Any estimate on when is it gonna be available for sale?
Old 07-18-06 | 04:50 PM
IS300to350
Driver School Candidate

The quirks are what Sirius is working on now be for the true unit release. The units you are installing are the ES330 ones right?
Old 07-18-06 | 05:19 PM
Sewell
Parts Vendor
CL Folding 100000

Originally Posted by IS300to350
The quirks are what Sirius is working on now be for the true unit release. The units you are installing are the ES330 ones right?
,,,I would say you are correct.
Old 07-18-06 | 05:20 PM
Sewell
Parts Vendor
CL Folding 100000

...but, we're not using the satellite kits from the ES.
Old 07-18-06 | 05:22 PM
IS300to350
Driver School Candidate

the antenna, have you have many complaints regarding its size? I want to try the slim low pro exterior mount.
Old 07-18-06 | 05:50 PM
bulwinkl24
Rookie

Originally Posted by Lexus-Parts
...here is the Sirius Satellite Tuner as shown on by IS. No splicing involved. This has been installed for about a month now. The large SIGMA (triangular shapped) antenna was placed at the rear windshield. Reception and sound quality is excellent, but I have found a few quirks.
let me get this straight..... the pic you posted is an IS equipped with sirius satellite radio. is that unit made for the IS or is it a retro fitted unit made for the ES? i noticed when the other gentleman assumed you were using an ES kit, you said he was correct but then you later posted that you werent using the ES kit. im a bit confussed...... also, if you put the antennae in the rear window, will tint affect the reception?
Old 07-18-06 | 08:06 PM
blkIS350
Driver

This is great news. I guess my sales person at my dealer does not know what they are talking about. I can't wait to order this once it is available because I really do not like XM.
Old 07-18-06 | 09:02 PM
doctorttt
Lead Lap

$600 a month???????????????????///
Old 07-19-06 | 10:47 AM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

the antenna, have you have many complaints regarding its size? I want to try the slim low pro exterior mount.
yes, lots of people don't like the SIGMA since it is so damn big. i don't know about its reception quality, but the pure aesthetic factor is the main drawback. in any case, i have the 06 GS Sirius kit which is similar to the ES330 (i think it's the same tuner, just different cabling), and i got the SIGMA for lexus-parts but my local dealer took it upon themselves to hook up the XM antenna instead, and it works perfectly.

so what i am saying is you can do that also. i have carbon tint film and no reception issues, other than the typical low overpasses or very dense tree areas.

here is a pic of my install (again, it's a XM antenna attached to the Sirius tuner in the trunk, integrated with my ML on screen audio w/ 10-character limit)

Old 07-19-06 | 10:49 AM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Originally Posted by doctorttt
$600 a month???????????????????///
it is not $600/mo!! that's insane. it's 12.95/mo for the subscription (or you can prepay a year or two or do lifetime for cheaper). the unit + install is roughly $600, but varies by dealer. i had estimates up to $1200. i got the unit from lexux-parts for $270 i think and then the install at my local dealer was $180.
Old 07-22-06 | 04:32 PM
adamsear
Driver School Candidate

It's interesting to hear you say Sirius is coming soon. I asked Lexus Customer Satisfaction what the latest with Sirius was, and this was part of their response:

"We do apologize that the Sirius Radio is not available at this time. As part of our commitment to provide the best products and services, Lexus releases a product when we are confident it meets standards of excellence. We acknowledge a good segment of our customers are interested in Sirius Radio and are aggressively pursuing it to be a part of our accessory line up. Please keep in contact with your Lexus dealer regarding the availability of Sirius Radio for your Lexus vehicle. Currently we do not have an anticipated re-release date.

After introducing Sirius Radio, we received feedback from some customers that the product wasn’t operating to their expectations. It was appropriate to re-evaluate the Sirius Radio product to ensure it continues to meet quality standards."

Do you have any sense of how soon this might be coming out? I intend to buy a 250 in the next few weeks and don't know whether to go ahead and get it with XM or just wait.
Old 07-22-06 | 09:41 PM
bulwinkl24
Rookie

Originally Posted by adamsear
Do you have any sense of how soon this might be coming out? I intend to buy a 250 in the next few weeks and don't know whether to go ahead and get it with XM or just wait.
i'd wait for sirius. had i known i would have to wait this long for sirius, i wouldve gotten a bmw.
Old 07-23-06 | 08:34 AM
Convinced
Driver School Candidate

Lexuslover, how is the sound of Sirius with the Xm antenna? any mods to make them fit together?
Old 07-23-06 | 01:17 PM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Originally Posted by Convinced
Lexuslover, how is the sound of Sirius with the Xm antenna? any mods to make them fit together?
works fine, no complaints. i don't think they did any mods to it, otherwise i think they would have called to tell me it cost more for install. i saw the tuner in the trunk and was surprised how easy it looked. next time i trade up the GS (at the end of the lease), i will just take the tuner out and move it into the new one myself.
Old 07-24-06 | 05:15 PM
LAGrant
Driver School Candidate

Default Some Clarity Please!

Originally Posted by bulwinkl24
let me get this straight..... the pic you posted is an IS equipped with sirius satellite radio. is that unit made for the IS or is it a retro fitted unit made for the ES? i noticed when the other gentleman assumed you were using an ES kit, you said he was correct but then you later posted that you werent using the ES kit. im a bit confussed...... also, if you put the antennae in the rear window, will tint affect the reception?
No answer to this? I took the plunge -- probably wasted my money -- and ordered the ES Sirius radio and Mark Levinson/Nav system fit kit. My hope is to install this kit in my IS 350. I'm skeptical, but I'm also impatient. If anyone has any words of wisdom, I'd appreciate it. Also, I'll update the forum when I receive the units. Keep your fingers crossed.

BTW, regarding the antenna in the rear window, I've been using my old sirius unit from my old car plugged into the aux port. Sound is good, but control is an accident waiting to happen. Anyway, I'm using the old antenna on the inside of the window in the back. Works fine.

Quick Reply: Merged Sirius Satellite Radio Threads