Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

June 2006 Vehicle Sales

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-06, 08:01 PM
jrock65
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
I will bet you that the GS460 will outaccelerate the 550i.
It may or may not. My point is that it's not a given.

Most people denounced even the notion that the IS350 would be able to outaccelerate the 330i ... boy were they proved wrong.
Most people? I can't recall a single time that anyone (at least in their right mind) said that the 330i will be faster than the IS350. Can you provide some links to this?
Old 07-25-06, 10:32 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Well before the 2 IS was even revealed, I seem to remember some BMW fanboys dismissing the New IS' potential performance targets, smugly confident in the 'superiority' of the 3-series.
Old 07-25-06, 11:01 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Do you want to know why you got so much off the sticker of the GS430? Even though it's been mentioned multiple times, I will mention this again to get this point home.

GS430 production has STOPPED. Lexus has stopped building the GS430 for at least a few months now. Dealers right now have a very limited number of GS430s because the production end, and they are eagerly willing to sell these vehicles.

Some of you it seems wish to remain ignorant, and to believe, in your own mind, that the GS is a failure and a dissapointment, despite all the facts and evidence to the contrary, that the GS will improve, and that the 3GS came out the way it was (which was quite uncompetitive) due to various reasons.
Well one thing is for sure, we won't have to speculate much longer assuming Lexus is going to put the bigger V8 in the GS sometime soon. It could be ignorant but the Lexus I have is not a fifteen year old ES. I bought two GS new and even with $5K off I am not interested in the 3GS. I am not sure what GS was intended to stand for but the new GS is just the mid size Lexus. I would recommend you get your head out of your numbers and try to drive some of these cars objectively. The up engined GS might turn it into an entirely different car, but I doubt it. At least it doesn't have to price compete with the 5 series. As I said, we don't really have to speculate. Sales numbers are posted here every thirty days. It will be interesting to see what GS460 sales are six or twelve months after it finally makes it here. I would hope to be wrong. That way there is a viable alternative mid size luxury/performance sedan out there. Then again, I didn't buy a 3GS 300 or 430 which will take a big hit in depreciation if the world is waiting for the 350 and 460. Now when does the 460 finally make it here?
Old 07-26-06, 12:38 AM
encore888
Lexus Champion

I would say the disconnect is between what Toyota/Lexus has set out as a goal and what some on this board, and many car enthusiasts in general, would want to see.

If it were me, the 3 GS would gain more 'edge,' more sport, and put up more of a fight with the 5-series in terms of sporty performance. If an IS 500, special performance model is on the horizon, why not an 'M5' GS version?

But for Lexus, their goals are for luxury first, performance second. Has been and always will be. So in that respect, the 3 GS is operating under strict guidelines that seem sharper this time around, more towards technology (VDIM, etc.) over sport. And they likely expect to take a medium market share, which is where the GS is at...around #3 in the market. Their priorities lie with a different customer--this is where the limited volume, halo car GS 450h comes in. That's the pinnacle of their focus and drive for the GS.

Now the new engine is sorely needed, IMO, to improve the perceived value of the car. Also to improve overall performance. Sportiness...also too, but a new engine will not be able to transform the GS entirely, nor should it be expected to.

So a GS 350 and GS 460 should be expected to sell...hopefully keeping the #3 spot for the duration of the model cycle, as I believe Lexus has set its goal at in doing. This is not a big volume seller like the IS/ES/RX, but a medium volume one.

There is significantly wide latitude, IMO, between failure and success. At present, I think that to some auto enthusiasts, the GS is a failure because its sales have not been spectacular--a fact 'justified' but the GS' emphasis on luxury over sport. But I would suggest it is not a failure entirely--sales would need to drop preciptiously, sharply, to show that in my book. It's middling at worst. Now since Lexus cars have such high standards, and Lexus sales overall are fantastic, 'middling' can be construed as a failure for Lexus...a glass half empty or half full situation in my view.

Comparatively, the 1 GS is an indicator of how Lexus has struggled to establish sports luxury cred--that car, Lexus actually resorted to fleet sales in order to prop up low sales figures--a decision now considered a brand-diluting mistake. The 2 GS turned that around, but then Lexus let that model stay on the market unchanged for quite a long time. The New GS seems to have taken the GS in a unique and third new direction in some ways...the verdict of which remains unclear.
Old 07-26-06, 10:23 AM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by enigma888
I would say the disconnect is between what Toyota/Lexus has set out as a goal and what some on this board, and many car enthusiasts in general, would want to see.

If it were me, the 3 GS would gain more 'edge,' more sport, and put up more of a fight with the 5-series in terms of sporty performance. If an IS 500, special performance model is on the horizon, why not an 'M5' GS version?

But for Lexus, their goals are for luxury first, performance second. Has been and always will be. So in that respect, the 3 GS is operating under strict guidelines that seem sharper this time around, more towards technology (VDIM, etc.) over sport. And they likely expect to take a medium market share, which is where the GS is at...around #3 in the market. Their priorities lie with a different customer--this is where the limited volume, halo car GS 450h comes in. That's the pinnacle of their focus and drive for the GS.

Now the new engine is sorely needed, IMO, to improve the perceived value of the car. Also to improve overall performance. Sportiness...also too, but a new engine will not be able to transform the GS entirely, nor should it be expected to.

So a GS 350 and GS 460 should be expected to sell...hopefully keeping the #3 spot for the duration of the model cycle, as I believe Lexus has set its goal at in doing. This is not a big volume seller like the IS/ES/RX, but a medium volume one.

There is significantly wide latitude, IMO, between failure and success. At present, I think that to some auto enthusiasts, the GS is a failure because its sales have not been spectacular--a fact 'justified' but the GS' emphasis on luxury over sport. But I would suggest it is not a failure entirely--sales would need to drop preciptiously, sharply, to show that in my book. It's middling at worst. Now since Lexus cars have such high standards, and Lexus sales overall are fantastic, 'middling' can be construed as a failure for Lexus...a glass half empty or half full situation in my view.

Comparatively, the 1 GS is an indicator of how Lexus has struggled to establish sports luxury cred--that car, Lexus actually resorted to fleet sales in order to prop up low sales figures--a decision now considered a brand-diluting mistake. The 2 GS turned that around, but then Lexus let that model stay on the market unchanged for quite a long time. The New GS seems to have taken the GS in a unique and third new direction in some ways...the verdict of which remains unclear.
I think your points are well taken but I do disagree that the 3GS is a unique and new direction. I view it as a conservative evolution. I am not sure what Lexus real opinion is of the sales figures and I sincerely doubt anyone here knows that either, but for the development costs, if it were my organization I think I would be disappointed. An argument has been made that everything will change when the GS460 arrives but in truth we don't have to wait for that. The GS3 is the volume seller and I didn't notice any significant drop in GS3 sales as the introduction of the 350 engine approached 9evidently there wasn't any big need to dry the pipeline up six months ahead of time) and it is in some ways a more important event than the 460. We can see what impact the 350 has on sales now. Should be interesting to see what happens and I have to admit to a bias as the new GS is disappointing enough that I don't consider it at all as a possible purchase to replace the two that I have.
Old 07-26-06, 11:11 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,659 Posts

But for Lexus, their goals are for luxury first, performance second. Has been and always will be.
If that's true, why have they advertised as "something wicked this way comes" way back, and even now they 3GS has ads showing it chasing a line of gasoline on fire or something - from standstill, around curves - showing how quick and great handling it is.

I really think the disconnect is between what the car IS and what their marketing pretends it is.
Old 07-26-06, 11:43 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 163 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
If that's true, why have they advertised as "something wicked this way comes" way back, and even now they 3GS has ads showing it chasing a line of gasoline on fire or something - from standstill, around curves - showing how quick and great handling it is.

I really think the disconnect is between what the car IS and what their marketing pretends it is.
oh give me an break dude. How are they supposed to market the car? Thats why it is called marketing.
X3 is marketed as "Luxury that never forgets to have fun". Its neither fun nor luxury so what?

gimme a break.
Old 07-26-06, 12:54 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

There's a difference I am talking about for the direction that the 3 GS has taken; the 2 GS was pure 'wicked' and basically all about a Lexus sport sedan, the banner now carried by the 2 IS.

The 3 GS focus goes from GS 300/350 up to the GS 450h, and what is the 450h chasing? Performance and gas consumption and low emissions. My point is, the 3 GS seems to have focused around 2 primary goals:

1) New styling direction (showcase for L-Finesse)

2) Technology implementation (VDIM, hybrids, etc.)

The emphasis, and time spent, seems to have focused on those areas more than anything else. If one took the 2 GS as a guideline, or base point, for how they would take the 3 GS, it seems that there would be more performance emphasis. But the performance is 'assumed' or 'added in.' More engine power is the element at play, largely here--450h and the engine upgrades, 460 and 350.

There's a reason why the 3 GS came with a carryover engine. Because the focus on the 3 GS was different. Lexus called it the 'most technologically advanced car in the world' despite that, because their focus was not the engine necessarily, but all the other things. That's my layman's opinion.
Old 07-26-06, 02:06 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
oh give me an break dude. How are they supposed to market the car? Thats why it is called marketing.
X3 is marketed as "Luxury that never forgets to have fun". Its neither fun nor luxury so what?

gimme a break.
Sorry to be so tiresome for you. How are they supposed to market the car? Well if it's not that sporty, maybe it should be advertised for its LOOKS and luxury instead. It has the most curvy shape of any Lexus and is more like the MB CLS than say a 5 series.

If a company advertises something they should deliver most of the goods, especially relative to its competition. Certainly Lexus is considered a luxury car maker too but when showing a GS chasing flames racing around curvy roads one expects the car to be able to deliver against its typical competition as presented, that would be 5 series, E class, and Infiniti M, all of which are more of a sports sedan than the 3GS.

BMW is considered a luxury performance vehicle maker whether the X3 qualifies or not and so that slogan you reference kind of fits that.
Old 07-26-06, 02:11 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

There's a difference I am talking about for the direction that the 3 GS has taken; the 2 GS was pure 'wicked' and basically all about a Lexus sport sedan, the banner now carried by the 2 IS.

The 3 GS focus goes from GS 300/350 up to the GS 450h, and what is the 450h chasing? Performance and gas consumption and low emissions. My point is, the 3 GS seems to have focused around 2 primary goals:

1) New styling direction (showcase for L-Finesse)

2) Technology implementation (VDIM, hybrids, etc.)

The emphasis, and time spent, seems to have focused on those areas more than anything else. If one took the 2 GS as a guideline, or base point, for how they would take the 3 GS, it seems that there would be more performance emphasis. But the performance is 'assumed' or 'added in.' More engine power is the element at play, largely here--450h and the engine upgrades, 460 and 350.

There's a reason why the 3 GS came with a carryover engine. Because the focus on the 3 GS was different. Lexus called it the 'most technologically advanced car in the world' despite that, because their focus was not the engine necessarily, but all the other things. That's my layman's opinion.
I think that's a great analysis. And the GS gets the new engines because that's becoming the Lexus standard V6 and V8.

My point was simply that I think the 3GS TV ads are off the mark. They should focus as you say on technology and style. They could have an ad showing the car unocking as the person walks up to it (and presses the door button I think?), then shows the various lighting, pressing the start button, etc. The GS *is* a technological marvel.
Old 07-26-06, 02:13 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

I think that's a great analysis. And the GS gets the new engines because that's becoming the Lexus standard V6 and V8.

My point was simply that I think the 3GS TV ads are off the mark. They should focus as you say on technology and style. They could have an ad showing the car unocking as the person walks up to it (and presses the door button I think?), then shows the various lighting, pressing the start button, etc. The GS *is* a technological marvel.
Exactly the point. The GS is the mid sized Lexus, not a mid sized Lexus performance sedan.
Old 07-26-06, 04:03 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Thx for the comments! The technological marvel aspect of the GS hasn't been highlighted very much, indeed...except the start button in the first 3 ads. I wonder if that's because they have reserved the techie ads for the ES/LS? The GS has been boxed in between the 2 models since the very start. IMO, performance was the way to distinguish the model, but in lieu of that they are left to focus differently.

But they have the money, why not build an extra performance-emphasized GS model? One that completely and without question justifies the 'fire' and 'Lombard st.' ads? (Although I am hoping that the new engines justifies the former, and the AWD does already justify the latter).

Also, btw, the car will unlock as soon as you touch the handle--the button is only when you're leaving, you push that to lock.
Old 07-26-06, 04:51 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Uh, no it wasn't. I hate to remind you, but *at best*, the 540i tied the GS400/GS430 before it had the high stall torque converter. After, it was a tick faster than the GS400/GS430. Overall, you can say these two are virtually the same in acceleration.

And even though this is besides the point , from the looks of things the 335i sedan will not be any faster than the IS350 in acceleration, despite having better numbers on paper.

BMW, as well as other German makers denounced Lexus when the first LS came out and did not take them seriously. BMW also, in their recent ad campaign, poked fun indirectly at Lexus, saying how BMW is one of the only companies that is "independent" and that doesn't stifle creativity. That ad campaign in fact was a great example of BMW's arrogance, in that they believe they are above most other automakers, Toyota included.
Actually I posted the test results from several mags - including the 1998 540 being a tick quicker. Maybe you missed the post?

Now I have not seen any official test results of the 335 - so I'm not sure where you are getting your numbers from - also while the 335 has a torque advantage, I think the hp numbers are the same (and it weighs a bit more) - so the comment "having better numbers" is interesting at best.

You think that BMW is arrogant - maybe they are. All I know is that when you create a four door car that is as satisfying to drive as the BMWs I have owned, then maybe you can be arrogant.
Old 08-01-06, 07:09 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 163 Likes on 121 Posts

BMW is considered a luxury performance vehicle maker whether the X3 qualifies or not and so that slogan you reference kind of fits that.
lol, wait a second - it is ok that X3 is marketed as sporty luxury vehicle, even through it is not, but it is not ok for GS to be marketed as sporty? To put things into perspective, GS has a lot more sports in it than X3 has luxury.

But hey, it is ok since it is BMW.

lol.

on the other hand, did you guys know that Toyota is more profitable per vehicle than BMW? (8.9% compared to 8.1%). That is complete Toyota, not just Lexus, on global scale.
Old 08-01-06, 07:22 AM
LexFather

Wow, one of the most active monthly sales threads. The July sticky is up, this is coming down, thanks