Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

June 2006 Vehicle Sales

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-06, 08:28 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 163 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by RON430
I don't call the year over year decline with a relatively new model anything to brag about. I also don't think outselling the M45/35 is much of a distinction either. But it is pretty apparent that Lexus is very happy just outselling the M45/35 and RL. You are probably right, better to be the best selling Japanese car in this class against other Japanese brands rather than try to compete with all the worlds cars.
lol, my original comment was due to the fact that you were trying to put down IS, ES and RX as too few models that sell well.

Bmw has even fewer models that sell well.

So yes, GS sells 50% of 5 series sales, but then again RX sells double than both X3 and X5. Are they utter and complete failure, horrible wrecks of SUV's? Because they have to be, according to your theory. Or does it not apply when BMW's models are on shorter end of the stick? :-).
Old 07-05-06, 09:33 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
lol, my original comment was due to the fact that you were trying to put down IS, ES and RX as too few models that sell well.

So yes, GS sells 50% of 5 series sales, but then again RX sells double than both X3 and X5. Are they utter and complete failure, horrible wrecks of SUV's? Because they have to be, according to your theory. Or does it not apply when BMW's models are on shorter end of the stick? :-).
Well said ... and some of you do seem to be forgetting GS430 production has stopped, as Lexus is moving into the 4.6L V8 production. Plus, GS350 production is being phased in, so these things do have an effect on sales.

35% drop in GS sales is NOT just a drop on the consumer level, but different engines being phased in is also part of it.

On top of engine upgrades, 2007 GS is also supposed to get other enhancements, like 5th gen Nav.
Old 07-05-06, 10:13 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,659 Posts

Originally Posted by doug_999
The new GS should have been a significant improvement over the old car but the fact is it was not. I REALLY REALLY wanted it to be a significant improvement as well as I simply love the looks of the car, both inside and out - IMHO probably one of the best looking cars out there today. But it drives like the old one, meaning that it needs aftermarket tuning to approach the competition and just does not approach the driver satisfaction of either the Infiniti or BMW products.
Actually the stock 3GS suspension is quite a bit better than the 2GS. Flatter, adjustable, quicker rebound. But the car to me just feels a lot bigger and not nimble.
Old 07-05-06, 10:16 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,659 Posts

With faster more fuel efficient GS's coming (350, 460) - I wonder what this will do to sales of the GS450h.
Old 07-06-06, 05:57 AM
jrock65
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
With faster more fuel efficient GS's coming (350, 460) - I wonder what this will do to sales of the GS450h.
There is no way that the GS350 will be more efficient than the GS300.
Old 07-06-06, 09:45 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jrock65
There is no way that the GS350 will be more efficient than the GS300.
Actually, it is more "fuel efficient" not by MPG but "Horsepower Per Gallon."

The 300 (RWD) engine gets 22/30 with 245 hp.

The 350 engine gets 21/28 with 306 hp.
Old 07-06-06, 10:21 AM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf

Let's try this one more time, lol. I didn't really make any comment about the other Lexus sales and my point, as 1Sick seems to have been able to figure out, is that for a very new model, a 35% year over year decline in sales for the GS is not good IMO. Feel free to draw whatever conclusion you wish as to all other car sales from this. I am no fan of bimmer as I am sure you could coax out of Doug to say, but Lexus at one time seemed to have an intention of competing with bimmer but has now decided to go its own way. Nothing wrong with that, unless you are looking for bimmer levels of performance. Now if Porsche really does price the Panamera competitive with the 5 and E, that could be competition.

The GS is in a different class. If the new GS won't be replaced until 2010 or so, you have to wonder what the sales will be like in 2008 with or without the new motors if they don't stem a 35% year over year decline sales trend. Apparently Lexus intends the GS to be an Avalon step up rather than a player in the five series market. That is obviously also reflected in the sales numbers as the GS300 is the real model that sells. I have seen one h and a few 430s, the vast majority of the new GSs I see are 300s and that is what Lexus obviously has focused on.
Old 07-06-06, 10:30 AM
jrock65
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Actually, it is more "fuel efficient" not by MPG but "Horsepower Per Gallon."

The 300 (RWD) engine gets 22/30 with 245 hp.

The 350 engine gets 21/28 with 306 hp.
hp per gallon? Never heard of that metric.

In any case, the IS350 gets 21/28, and the GS350 will be heavier, so it may get a bit less mpg.
Old 07-06-06, 10:35 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

According to lexus.jp, the GS350 RWD is only 40 kg.(88 lb.) heavier than the IS350. So lose some weight & you'd likely get roughly the same mpg
Old 07-06-06, 10:39 AM
jrock65
Lexus Test Driver

The GS is in a different class. If the new GS won't be replaced until 2010 or so, you have to wonder what the sales will be like in 2008 with or without the new motors if they don't stem a 35% year over year decline sales trend. Apparently Lexus intends the GS to be an Avalon step up rather than a player in the five series market. That is obviously also reflected in the sales numbers as the GS300 is the real model that sells. I have seen one h and a few 430s, the vast majority of the new GSs I see are 300s and that is what Lexus obviously has focused on.
But every sedan in the $50k category, the V6 probably outsells the V8 by 3 or 4 to 1. It's not just the GS with that ratio.

I don't think the GS is a step-up Avalon. For one thing, the GS is even smaller inside than a Camry, let alone the Avalon. Lexus clearly intends for the GS to play in the E/5/M/A6 segment, but it emphasizes soft ride over sport more than the other players.
Old 07-06-06, 11:55 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

hp per gallon? Never heard of that metric.
Yup, I made that one up...

All that I am saying is you get a lot more horsepower for approximately the same gas mileage. And that itself is "efficient."
Old 07-06-06, 12:18 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

But every sedan in the $50k category, the V6 probably outsells the V8 by 3 or 4 to 1. It's not just the GS with that ratio.

I don't think the GS is a step-up Avalon. For one thing, the GS is even smaller inside than a Camry, let alone the Avalon. Lexus clearly intends for the GS to play in the E/5/M/A6 segment, but it emphasizes soft ride over sport more than the other players.
The comment about the Avalon was only half meant in jest on the hope that somebody from Lexus comes here and sees how disappointed a multi-GS owner is with the new model. I am well aware that the GS fits the metrics to play in the E/5/A6/Panamera category but it seems as if Lexus has refocused on using it as a step up vehicle within the Toyota/Lexus brand (which every mfr does or hopes to do) rather than trying to make it competitive against those other brands IMO. The suspension is still a disappointment to me, although I am not a big fan of what bimmer has right now either.

But as far as engines are concerned, it is obvious that Lexus does not view the GS as being the model to showcase an engine introduction in. Neither the 350 nor the 460 (although I keep seeing rumors of a 5l Lexus engine running around in the IS) was introduced on the GS. I have to believe that it will be some time after the LS comes out before the GS will get the 460 and by that time you have to wonder how many sales will be left to be gotten. I will definitely shop the new LS when it comes out but I have no interest in the GS and I would be surprised if the new engines, when they arrive, do that much to GS sales. Sorry if the satire was not more evident but I guess you would have to ask yourself if you had been happy with an Avalon, which Lexus would you step up to? I think the GS is a somewhat logical choice from that standpoint. You could certainly raise an argument that the LS would be the natural stepup but that is a huge increase in price over the Avalon. The GS is stiff enough.
Old 07-06-06, 12:31 PM
jrock65
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Yup, I made that one up...

All that I am saying is you get a lot more horsepower for approximately the same gas mileage. And that itself is "efficient."
Hehe, I see. Well, I guess the Corvette is the most efficient vehicle on the planet. Far more efficient than the Prius.
Old 07-06-06, 01:00 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Hehe, I see. Well, I guess the Corvette is the most efficient vehicle on the planet. Far more efficient than the Prius.
Chevy should start flaunting that. They need the sales...
Old 07-06-06, 04:13 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

The comment about the Avalon was only half meant in jest on the hope that somebody from Lexus comes here and sees how disappointed a multi-GS owner is with the new model. I am well aware that the GS fits the metrics to play in the E/5/A6/Panamera category but it seems as if Lexus has refocused on using it as a step up vehicle within the Toyota/Lexus brand (which every mfr does or hopes to do) rather than trying to make it competitive against those other brands IMO. The suspension is still a disappointment to me, although I am not a big fan of what bimmer has right now either.

But as far as engines are concerned, it is obvious that Lexus does not view the GS as being the model to showcase an engine introduction in. Neither the 350 nor the 460 (although I keep seeing rumors of a 5l Lexus engine running around in the IS) was introduced on the GS. I have to believe that it will be some time after the LS comes out before the GS will get the 460 and by that time you have to wonder how many sales will be left to be gotten. I will definitely shop the new LS when it comes out but I have no interest in the GS and I would be surprised if the new engines, when they arrive, do that much to GS sales. Sorry if the satire was not more evident but I guess you would have to ask yourself if you had been happy with an Avalon, which Lexus would you step up to? I think the GS is a somewhat logical choice from that standpoint. You could certainly raise an argument that the LS would be the natural stepup but that is a huge increase in price over the Avalon. The GS is stiff enough.
*sigh*

Some of you just don't get it; oh well. Lexus stated before introducing the new GS last year, that they would make more options, features available, as well as changes that would occur more often in the Lexus lineup, compared to before. Lexus won't let models stagnate anymore, which is why on top of the engine changes, the GS is supposed to get the 5th gen Nav, and possibly other things.

And re-read my other post; the 35% drop is sales was due to a number of factors, not just a drop in consumer demand.

For 2007, the IS gets additions like those cool JDM rims, not to mention a VDIM defeat switch. And the GS for 2006 had a very long model year. What makes you think that the GS won't get more additions than the IS for 2007?

All the new Lexus sedans have the 5th gen Nav, except the GS, which still uses the 4th gen.. If I was in the market for a midsize luxo-sports sedan, I would certainly take that into consideration.

Historically though, the GS has always been one of the "weaker" models sales-wise for Lexus, and I would expect Lexus to put more effort and emphasis into the GS in the future.

Quick Reply: June 2006 Vehicle Sales