Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

GM to increse horsepower in mid-size trucks and H3 for 2007

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-06, 02:24 PM
Overclocker
G35x - RWD/AWD goodness

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default GM to increse horsepower in mid-size trucks and H3 for 2007

By RICHARD TRUETT | AUTOMOTIVE NEWS
AutoWeek | Published 07/03/06, 7:53 am et

DETROIT - General Motors plans to give its 2007 mid-sized pickups and the Hummer H3 SUV more powerful engines.

The current 3.5-liter, five-cylinder in-line engine in the 4,700-pound H3 is rated at 220 hp. GM says the 2007 H3 coming in the fall will get a 3.7-liter version of the in-line five-cylinder engine. Horsepower will jump to 242.

The GMC Canyon and Chevrolet Colorado pickups also will be available with the 3.7-liter engine as an option. And the base models of the mid-sized trucks will get a bump in power from a slightly bigger engine. The 175-hp 2.8-liter four-cylinder is being replaced by a 185-hp 2.9-liter version of the four-cylinder engine.

Sales of the two trucks have plummeted. The Canyon's sales of 8,625 units through May are off 41.8 percent; the Colorado's sales of 36,208 through May are down 35.5 percent.

Both new versions of the four- and five-cylinder engines have bigger pistons, redesigned cylinder heads, larger valves, a redesigned oiling system and other improvements.

The increase in displacement and engine size won't hurt fuel economy, says Tom Sutter, chief engineer of GM's in-line four-, five- and six-cylinder engines.

"Our goal here has been to increase performance without compromising fuel economy. We've been able to do that with some of the technology we have in the engine," Sutter said.

For example, the bigger valves help the engine breathe better, which means it runs more efficiently. As a result, the 2007 EPA fuel-economy ratings of the H3, Canyon and Colorado will stay the same.

The H3 is rated at 16 mpg city and 20 mpg highway with a manual transmission.

Reviewers have criticized the H3 in its first year on the market for its lackluster acceleration. But sales have been strong, with about 23,000 units sold through June.

Sutter said the engine upgrades didn't come about because of consumer complaints but were part of GM's plan to continually upgrade products.

Source: http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dl...1/TOC01ARCHIVE
Old 07-03-06, 02:50 PM
ripe911
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why can't they just put a 6 cyclinder engine in the H3. The 5 is really bugging me.
Old 07-03-06, 06:40 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

GM needs to work on quality, not horsepower...
Old 07-03-06, 06:48 PM
LexusLuver
Lexus Test Driver

All GM is is hp and gimmicks, much like MB.

The only reason they're doing this is because the FJ is making a fool out of the H3.
Old 07-03-06, 06:56 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

The H3 needs all the power it can get. But at this time, I think they need to focus on fuel efficiency for these big heavy HUMMERS. Plus get rid of that 4-speed.

They should have just put the I-6 in there, but it probably couldnt fit.

The Canyon/Colorado twins were left in the dust. It has no direct competitors anymore, and they are getting served by the Japanese.
Old 07-03-06, 07:01 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts
Default HUMMER H3x

Speaking of the H3, they just released a new model...

HUMMER Announces 2007 H3x Pricing

DETROIT -- People seeking a HUMMER H3 with a customized appearance, straight from the factory, can soon add a new H3x to their garages. The first H3x models will arrive in dealerships in the United States and Canada in August, with a price of $38,065.

The H3x is based on the “ H3 Street ” concept vehicle shown at the automotive industry’s annual Specialty Equipment Market Association (SEMA) show in November of 2005. It was created for consumers who want to make a personal style statement and differentiate themselves from other H3 owners.

The $38,065 price includes standard equipment such as full-time electronic four-wheel drive and GM’s award-winning OnStar safety and communication system, plus HUMMER’s premium four-year/50,000-mile warranty plan.

The H3x begins with an H3 equipped with the Luxury package, chrome tube steps, chrome appearance package, a chrome fuel filler door and bright roof-rack crossbows. The package also includes a body-colored grille and hard spare tire cover, 18-inch chromed wheels with a custom center cap, and a squared, chromed brush guard available only for the H3x. The interior features front seat headrests embroidered with the H3 logo.

Consumers can further personalize their H3x with one of nine exterior colors. Two of those colors are new hues that are exclusively available on the H3x model, Sonoma Red Metallic and Desert Orange Metallic. Both exclusive colors nicely highlight the vehicle’s many chrome elements.

For 2007, H3x and H3 both receive a new engine: the Vortec 3.7L I-5 with dual overhead cams and variable valve timing. This inline five-cylinder engine offers an excellent combination of power and efficiency, delivering 242 horsepower (180 kW) at 5600 rpm* and 242 lb.-ft. of torque (328 Nm) at 4600 rpm. Also new for 2007 on all H3 models, including H3x, is standard Stabilitrak on all models, whether they feature a manual or automatic transmission. H3x buyers can select either transmission.

The H3x is scheduled to arrive in dealerships in August 2006.
Old 07-03-06, 08:07 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

would you even feel 20 hp gain with a 5000 lb vehicle
Old 07-03-06, 08:27 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

I could care less about this car because I know I will never going to buy one. But I just want to say I'd take FJ over this everytime.