Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus needs an "on the lot" tuner like AMG

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-06, 06:38 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

TRD and TTE are very good, but they don't cover the whole range for Toyota and in our case Lexus.

Every so often, I get a Toyota show up at my track in Mexico and the owners ask me what they can do to modify it and I help the best way possible, but they always mention to me stuff like AMG, or the M BMWs and wonder why TRD isnīt better oriented, especially down here.
Old 07-05-06, 09:37 AM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Toyota/Lexus is way too conservative to offer something like this. By and large, so are their customers.

The good news is the image of Lexus is changing with each new model.
The bad new is that TRD's retail division is basically a failure, so I am sure Lexus will be gun-shy about getting into the car tuning business.
Old 07-05-06, 09:47 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 295 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCalSC4
Toyota/Lexus is way too conservative to offer something like this. By and large, so are their customers.
You hit the nail on the head there Bob!

Until I see a production version of the rumoured IS500, I won't believe Lexus is serious about a performance division.

It is not just about the engine folks - they have to get their chassis tuning right as well. We know they can make a steering that has a very sharp feel to it - just drive the 2IS.

Once they get their chassis tuning right, they will have the technical know how to compete in this space, but I doubt very much we will see that anytime soon.

After all, if they wanted to do this, they could have done it sooner - look at the successes that TeamLexus has had. Why can't Lexus make use of that R&D and apply it to a performance division????
Old 07-05-06, 01:04 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, we do finally have a stock Lexus that runs well into the 13s. That's a pretty good start.
Old 07-05-06, 07:58 PM
ThaDRD
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mercedes/BMW and their customers aren't conservative? They aren't exactly Lamborghini.

Further, Toyota/Lexus can afford to take the risk (which isn't a risk, Mercedes/BMW have proven that). That is, the company is high profitable and soon will be number one in the world in sales, passing GM. GM on the other hand can't afford to do such things, yet they have with the V-Series Caddies.

Last edited by ThaDRD; 07-05-06 at 08:57 PM.
Old 07-05-06, 09:52 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by ThaDRD
Mercedes/BMW and their customers aren't conservative? They aren't exactly Lamborghini.

Further, Toyota/Lexus can afford to take the risk (which isn't a risk, Mercedes/BMW have proven that). That is, the company is high profitable and soon will be number one in the world in sales, passing GM. GM on the other hand can't afford to do such things, yet they have with the V-Series Caddies.
i agree, lexus customers WERE probably conservative, but not anymore

and actually i dont't hink it will be a "risk" at all for lexus to enter the performance market. on one hand, they already know there is a market. mb and bmw already built it strong with the amg and m power. on the other hand, toyota/lexus know they can make performance cars, they had the supra from history, and they are well more than capable to make high performance engines and transmissions.

they just need to go and do it. the ONLY problem in my eyes is that they need to be more aggressive, especially on the suspensions. if they do that right, they are RIGHT on the roadmap. if they don't listen to this, at least if not something close to what mb is offering on the amg, they might not succeed well
Old 07-06-06, 08:16 AM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ThaDRD
With NEW car customers, I would say Lexus customers typically are more conservative. We're not talking about 23 year olds buying used IS300s and '98 GSs, but Lexus' core market; affluent, upwardly mobile consumers, many of whom LEASE their cars. Like I said, this is changing, but Lexus had to change the cars first to attract a more youthful and performance-oriented market. I'm not saying that Lexus can't make a tuning division work, only that it wouldn't have worked in the past.

To further illustrate my point, let's examine how many aftermarket tuners offer a full range of vehicle-specific tuning products:

BMW (off the top of my head)
M Division
AC Schnitzer
Racing Dymanics
Hamaan
Hartge
Dinan

Mercedes (again, what comes to mind)
AMG
Kleemann
Lorinser
Brabus
Fab Design
Carlsson
ASMA

Lexus
?????
Daizen? (suspension - not exactly a complete lineup)
Carson Tuned (I give these guys credit for their efforts, but they don't have a true tuning "line")
Junction Produce (NOT Lexus-specific, however)

Furthermore... some of you know, I am in the wheel business.

Number of sets Lexus wheels we've built over the last two years: 4
Number of BMW sets: 150+
Number of Mercedes sets: 225+

I am all for Lexus offering hotter cars, but it will be an evolution, not a revolution.

Last edited by SoCalSC4; 07-06-06 at 04:58 PM.
Old 07-06-06, 11:06 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Number of sets Lexus wheels we've built over the last two years: 4
Number of BMW sets: 150+
Number of Mercedes sets: 225+

I am all for Lexus offering hotter cars, but it will be an evolution, not a revolution.
Those 4 are for you and the bro??
Old 07-06-06, 02:39 PM
MSMLexIS
Lexus Champion

I think Lexus can and will make a few more performance cars but they want to do it the Lexus way which means to still appeal to traditional Lexus buyers while still offering younger performance orineted buyers something in their lineup. Hopefully it will start off as an extension of sportdesign sort of how amg started in america in the mid to lates 90's by offering sport packages for Mercedes cars.
Old 07-06-06, 04:12 PM
MSMLexIS
Lexus Champion

Found this in Car and Driver.

Lexus Plans Its Own ‘AMG’ Shop
BY PETER LYON
July 2004

Eager to rid itself of the perception that Lexus is not a driver’s brand, Toyota’s luxury division will set up an in-house performance shop much in the fashion of BMW’s M division and Mercedes-Benz’s well-known AMG tuning arm. The first three models to get the GT treatment will be the next-generation IS350, GS350, and LS500.

The new LS500GT will borrow styling cues from the Lexus LF-S concept seen last fall at the Tokyo show. Like the concept, the production LS500GT will have a hybrid system providing all-wheel drive by sending electric power to the front wheels. The total output is expected to reach an incredible 600 horsepower, 200 of which will be provided by the hybrid system. Intended to offer the performance of Mercedes-Benz’s 12-cylinder cars with better fuel economy, the LS500GT is expected to top $100,000 when it goes on sale in the fall of 2006.

Like its more powerful stable mate, the GS350GT will employ a hybrid system to provide all-wheel drive and boost power. With the hybrid motor delivering 170 horsepower and the new 3.5-liter V-6 producing 300 horsepower, the GS350GT is poised to take on the likes of Mercedes-Benz’s E55 AMG. The GT version of the GS is expected to go on sale in 2006.

One Lexus that will receive the GT treatment but not the hybrid drive will be the forthcoming IS350. It will borrow styling from the LF-C concept shown in New York (see page 38) and the 300-hp V-6 from the GS350. The 85 extra horses will surely provide some needed moxie when the GT hits showrooms sometime in 2006.
Old 07-06-06, 04:52 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MSMLexIS
Found this in Car and Driver.

Lexus Plans Its Own ‘AMG’ Shop
BY PETER LYON
July 2004
Just noticed the date on that article you posted. The IS350 is here now, sure enough it has 81 more horesepower than the old IS300. And the GS350GT ended-up being called the GS450H. As cool as it is, I wouldn't say that it "is poised to take on the likes of Mercedes-Benz’s E55 AMG."

And we know the LS will be the LS 460 and LS 460L, and probably the LS 600.

We're still waiting, Lexus!
Old 07-06-06, 06:45 PM
marshmallo
Lexus Champion

Just noticed the date on that article you posted. The IS350 is here now, sure enough it has 81 more horesepower than the old IS300. And the GS350GT ended-up being called the GS450H.
And it never became AWD as it was originally speculated
Old 07-07-06, 10:33 AM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Sure enough it's cool that the newer Lexus cars are faster, and more powerful now. But what I want is an in-house tuner.
Old 07-07-06, 11:29 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
i agree, lexus customers WERE probably conservative, but not anymore

and actually i dont't hink it will be a "risk" at all for lexus to enter the performance market. on one hand, they already know there is a market. mb and bmw already built it strong with the amg and m power. on the other hand, toyota/lexus know they can make performance cars, they had the supra from history, and they are well more than capable to make high performance engines and transmissions.

they just need to go and do it. the ONLY problem in my eyes is that they need to be more aggressive, especially on the suspensions. if they do that right, they are RIGHT on the roadmap. if they don't listen to this, at least if not something close to what mb is offering on the amg, they might not succeed well
I as well hope that is true. I agree. Toyota/Lexus can afford to throw money at anything they wish and not take too bad a hit even if its a failure. The problem I see is people are complaining the sports suspension in the IS is too stiff so I can only imagine the complaints about an even more sport tuned suspension. I think eventually Lexus may up the ante with their sporty cars, but I see it as many years away yet. The problem is you are going to loose the Lexus ride and confort that the majority of Lexus buyers want when you start to cater to the performance car buyers. These buyers want to hear the engine and exhaust, want to feel the read, wnt a firm steering wheel, and that just seems to go agaist everything Lexus has built their name on.
Old 07-07-06, 06:20 PM
liquid2
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We just have to give it time guys.
ANd we can just hope for a special packages like bmw and benz offer the performance packages and stuff.

One step at a time right?

Quick Reply: Lexus needs an "on the lot" tuner like AMG