Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Speeding in Chicago area an ‘epidemic’

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-06, 03:02 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

In my home state of Florida I once noticed they had cameras at intersections that looked similar to those red light cameras in DC. Later learned they were nothing more than cameras used to the monitor traffic and apparently there is a state law on the books that prohibits such red light or stationary speed cameras. So if anyone is going to stop you, it is going to be a police officer.

The Mexico City government down here is going nuts since the are a lot of non-local cars (especially foreign and diplomat), but until the they get their guys into the cars and physically stop us...nothing much they can do. Part of the issue with the cops in the cars is that fact that bribery still works and the government never collects anything.
Old 07-05-06, 03:17 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexmex
Part of the issue with the cops in the cars is that fact that bribery still works and the government never collects anything.
Sounds like the government IS collecting.....just at, shall we say, the lowest levels.
Old 07-05-06, 06:57 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
^^they try to sell off red light camera systems as "its for public safety" but its too bad rear end collisions skyrocket after they are operating which some studies I read showed. Also the vender who installs the red light camera gets a cut of the ticket fine, which is a gigantic conflict of interest because they can rig a traffic light (and this has happened) if they wanted to bring more revenue therefore more cuts in for them.

Increasing a yellow lights duration has a far better cost to benefit ratio than a red light camera does
Yea, I saw my first true red-light camera in action in Sacramento Calif last month. Flashes going off and plenty of signs. I assure you when that light turns yellow people slam on their brakes and BAM they get rear-ended more than ever.