Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Next gen Acura RL rumors

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-06, 11:17 PM
r4z0r3ck
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MSMLexIS
The current RL is already an ugly car that looks much wore also a V8 rwd I can see honda doing a V6 RWD before a v8. Guess we will have to wit and see.
i dont think its ugly... i just think its bland. ugly is the element and aztec
Old 07-10-06, 07:41 AM
rotaryrock
Pole Position

The Acura name no longer carries the same weight with me. I remember when they first came around the US with the NSX and Integra it had such a sporty image, now they drop everything and the next NSX is up in limbo as they try to move "upmarket"... well upmarket here means "borrrring".

C'mon Acura, get with the program and give us some sporty cars.
Old 07-10-06, 09:57 AM
KrazyLexus
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MSMLexIS
The current RL is already an ugly car that looks much wore also a V8 rwd I can see honda doing a V6 RWD before a v8. Guess we will have to wit and see.
Dunno what you been smoking but that RL is a sharp looking car.
Old 07-10-06, 01:20 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by G35_TX
Dunno what you been smoking but that RL is a sharp looking car.
So sharp every magazine review has called the looks bland and oversized Accord in looks?

I don't think its ugly at all, that is not an ugly car. It is perfect for members in the witness protection program however. I am sure if it was a "looker" people would pay for some style.

Not sure why anyone is surprised, the last RL was bland as well.

Bland can sell, Camry, Accord, Civic, Impala, hell LS 430, etc...Just not in this case.

Old 07-10-06, 04:32 PM
KrazyLexus
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
So sharp every magazine review has called the looks bland and oversized Accord in looks?

I don't think its ugly at all, that is not an ugly car. It is perfect for members in the witness protection program however. I am sure if it was a "looker" people would pay for some style.

Bland can sell, Camry, Accord, Civic, Impala, hell LS 430, etc...Just not in this case.
Well, I don't recall any magazine calling it that. Mind giving us the links? Thanks.

At least it has one common thing. It doesn't look like the rest of the Honda/Acura family. Lexus IS/GS/ES now all look alike nad its hard to tell them apart anymore.

The TSX/TL look alike, but nothing like the RL.
Old 07-10-06, 06:00 PM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just saw a current RL today and honestly, I thought it was a nice looking Accord.

The RL is a good looking car, but not luxury flagship good looking. The RL looks like it's in the
same price range as an ES300. For $50K, it doesn't deliver in style and I think most people
will agree.

This new concept couple looks way too much like the Solara. Common' Acura, let's take
some risks here. Playing it safe does not work in the luxury segment.
Old 07-10-06, 09:05 PM
ecr527
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have to agree. The RL is not an ugly car, and it's not even that bland looking, especially compared to the last gen RL. It doesn't however envoke the luxury feeling that Lexus does. The Integra and Legend put Acura on the map and made them millions I'm sure, but the Integra in particular kind of "cheapened" the luxury nameplate.

When you think Lexus, you automatically think of BMW, Mercedes, etc, as competition. Not so much so with Acura.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to diss Hondas or Acuras at all, heck I bought an Integra in 94 and still have it, and had a Prelude before that. I think that their styling kind of got on the conservative side as of late. The third gen TL and the RL are definitely a step in the right direction. Now they're introducing turbocharged engines into the market. I think things are looking up for Acura.
Old 07-11-06, 03:59 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

The last RL was the classic Japanese Buick....in ride as well as looks. If you rode in one blindfolded you couldn't tell it from a LeSabre. Whether the present one is " bland " or not, of course, depends on individual tastes...you obviously feel it is, and I'll respect that opinion. To my eyes, though, the present styling is far different from the old one. For one thing, it is far less-squared off.
The new one in the thread-opener? Like I said, I hope they don't use that grille and headlights....IMO it is too jungle cat-like.
Old 07-11-06, 08:38 AM
videcormeum
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The last RL was the classic Japanese Buick....in ride as well as looks. If you rode in one blindfolded you couldn't tell it from a LeSabre. Whether the present one is " bland " or not, of course, depends on individual tastes...you obviously feel it is, and I'll respect that opinion. To my eyes, though, the present styling is far different from the old one. For one thing, it is far less-squared off.
The new one in the thread-opener? Like I said, I hope they don't use that grille and headlights....IMO it is too jungle cat-like.
The previous RL was a great car and so is the current car. I'm sure we agree on this - being the Japanese Buick isn't necessarily a bad thing. Personally I hope that in the future there are still sedans that don't ruin kidneys and misalign spines on trips of 300 miles or more. But cars tuned for comfortable ride are quickly disappearing.

M.
Old 07-11-06, 12:10 PM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The current RL is as bland and generic looking as it gets for a flagship. The aesthetics don't fit the performance, and the performance does not fit the price...which would explain why it has such poor sales. Its a shame that this car descends from the legend, and even worse that it follows after great looking cars such as the RSX, TSX and TL, which each 1-up the styling in their segment pretty effectively. Having experienced the previous 3, I really would like to see Acura step things up with the next gen (or across the board for that matter).
Old 07-11-06, 01:01 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by videcormeum
The previous RL was a great car and so is the current car. I'm sure we agree on this - being the Japanese Buick isn't necessarily a bad thing. Personally I hope that in the future there are still sedans that don't ruin kidneys and misalign spines on trips of 300 miles or more. But cars tuned for comfortable ride are quickly disappearing.

M.
Totally agree. I wasn't knocking either the old RL or the present one. And you are absolutely right that easy-riding cars are fast becoming a thing of the past.....I have complained about this numerous times.