Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Brand new Audi's up in FLAMES

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-06, 08:54 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

actually before we go further, indeed there are a lot of weird points on how the car got destroyed while the rims survived, and vise versa.

don't see any news or reports on it, i am just wondering, could it be arson or some sort? instead of the cars lighting up by themselves?

just curious
Old 07-06-06, 09:55 AM
bmgs400
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default They need side protection like US trains use!

Originally Posted by rominl
actually before we go further, indeed there are a lot of weird points on how the car got destroyed while the rims survived, and vise versa.

don't see any news or reports on it, i am just wondering, could it be arson or some sort? instead of the cars lighting up by themselves?

just curious
Good point.
I grew up in a town in North Central Ohio loaded with train tracks since we had a major train yard ran by Norfolk&Western..now Norfolk&Southern (N&S). My dad is retired railroad conductor/brakeman and has seen lots of bad stuff like large rocks thrown at trains. Back when they had Kabooses...my dad was almost killed my a rock came through the window. They think some punk kids were throwing rocks. Some times they'd find bullet holes in boxcars.

This is why most trains in the US pulling cars loaded with new automobiles have heavy side protection.
Old 07-06-06, 10:06 AM
Faraaz23
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bmgs400
Good point.
I grew up in a town in North Central Ohio loaded with train tracks since we had a major train yard ran by Norfolk&Western..now Norfolk&Southern (N&S). My dad is retired railroad conductor/brakeman and has seen lots of bad stuff like large rocks thrown at trains. Back when they had Kabooses...my dad was almost killed my a rock came through the window. They think some punk kids were throwing rocks. Some times they'd find bullet holes in boxcars.

This is why most trains in the US pulling cars loaded with new automobiles have heavy side protection.
They should give the engineer in the caboose a gatling gun!!!

Hopefully that x8 on the train that got burned was an A8 not an S8!!! I think it was an A8 from the wheels though...
Old 07-06-06, 10:59 AM
bmgs400
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Faraaz23
They should give the engineer in the caboose a gatling gun!!!
They were suppose to have unpenetrable windows and siding, but budget cuts from Congress nixed that safety feature....my dad almost paid with his life and has a plate in his head were his skull use to be. Everyone rides with the engineer...in the locomotive train...it can get hot and always loud.
Old 07-06-06, 11:02 AM
bmgs400
Lexus Champion

Side note...
The good thing about my dads accident is it improved his golf game...
2 x hole in one
1 x club champion

At 64 he's still tuff playing skins.
Old 07-06-06, 11:19 AM
foofighter
Lexus Test Driver

some of those audi's are aluminum bodied so maybe they have a lower melting point?
Old 07-06-06, 11:42 AM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

That's crazy stuff...
Old 07-06-06, 11:47 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by foofighter
some of those audi's are aluminum bodied so maybe they have a lower melting point?
The melting point of steel is higher than that of aluminum, 1800 K for steel vs. 932 K for aluminium.
Old 07-06-06, 12:01 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Wonder which deck the fire actually started, Im going to guess the lower deck, dont see how it can start on the top decks and do that much damage to the bottom decks
Old 07-06-06, 01:12 PM
AJL0365
Lexus Test Driver

thats kinda hard to look at, audi's are hott cars, i like them. is insurance paying for all of that? hope none of those cars were out for delivery
Old 07-06-06, 01:28 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

yea insurance pays for it theres probably some small insurance fee when transporting. I bet its part of that destination charge every vehicle has. Same thing with an article i read when a freight ship carrying 600 vehicles (mix of BMWs and Volvos) sunk and everything was lost
Old 07-06-06, 02:03 PM
LiLS
Lexus Champion

holy crap thats crazy
Old 07-06-06, 09:51 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by bmgs400
Good point.

yeah, reason i say that is i still believe all car batteries are disconnected when they are in transit. so if that's the case, you can have any short circuit you want but there is no power!?!
Old 07-06-06, 10:05 PM
JunctionJP
Driver

oh man...
Old 07-06-06, 10:18 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
yeah, reason i say that is i still believe all car batteries are disconnected when they are in transit. so if that's the case, you can have any short circuit you want but there is no power!?!
as posted in another section, batteries are NOT disconected.

Rather, there is an fuse in the fusebox, that controls most of the non-vital electronics that drain the battery even when car is off. During PDS (Pre-Delivery-Service) dealers install this fuse, to make things like ABS, ESP, Radio, HCAV, Remote entry, etc, work. Car itself works without it of course, since car is moved by driving it (Ship, port, truck, etc).

Quick Reply: Brand new Audi's up in FLAMES