Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Taste of Lexus 2006 Its official.

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-06, 02:29 AM
GSsnarl
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, lots and lots of pitures! And if you can, videos! Does it feel much faster or just slightly than the 02 LS430? What does it sound like? Is it more comfortable? How does the steering wheel grip feel? The door closing sound?
Does the window mechanism sound different being closed/opened? What about seat adjustments, how do they sound? And the smell, is it like the new GS or different?

lol, I'm serious though!

You know, compare/contrast if you can...
Please, and thanks in advance. You guys are lucky, I would pay big money to be in that event.
Old 09-16-06, 03:58 PM
wdlugitch
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I JUST returned from two hours at the TASTE OF LEXUS event at El Toro Marine Base, in Irvine, CA.

The food was so superior to last year, which was not shabby, and they had a good supply of each model to view and drive.

Unforuntately, an older lady fell ill and the paramedics had to remove her from the room where the desserts were being served. I told my dad she must have asked what the price of the LS460h L was, that was on display, and it was just too much for her to take.
Old 09-16-06, 04:00 PM
MSMLexIS
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First event was today i guess we will here a little bit about it in the next few hours.
Old 09-16-06, 04:19 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

I just came home from the venue and here is my quick review of the Taste of Lexus event this year.

Pros:

Food selection is way better, get there early so you don't have to wait in line. They actually served bacon, sausage, eggs and hashbrowns up to 12PM.
The event is a little more organized than last year.

Cons:

-TOO MANY PEOPLE, not many cars to drive.
-The only competitor cars available were 2 vehicles in the LS class.
-Venue is much smaller than previous years.
-There is no SUV/4wd track this year to demonstrate the GX and LX's capabilities as from previous years.
-The parting gift at the end, it gets smaller and more useless every year.

What to Expect:

Before you walk up to the registration desk, you fill out the usual release of liablity waiver. Then you walk up to the registration desk to get signed in. Then you are given a lanyard and a wristband to enter the venue with. The host greets you and gives you a short introduction of the event and highlights of the experience. Once you get past the introduction, expect the usual car displays indoor with highlights of their technological features. The cars you will see as you enter and exit the tent to the test track are the ES350, GS450h and the LS460. Walking through the halls of the tent and room of cars, you will pass several stands for hors d'oeuvres and beverages. There is the usual day spa setup for a free massage. There is also a table for food where you wait in a very small buffet line and the servers dish the food up for you. There are also 2 XBox 360 consoles where you can try out the not yet released "Test Drive - Ultimate" and drive a real IS350 through the courses. You can even switch to the interior view with full motion NAV, and hand w/paddle shift movements. A must have game for the 2nd Gen Lexus IS owners! You will do plenty of waiting and watching, make sure to bring a lot of patience to the event. For those that are signed up at the first part of the morning, you got it made. If your scheduled time is for anything past 10AM, you're definitely not going to be alone. You will be spending most of your time sitting in lines for both food and test drives.

There were demos of the Auto Park feature of the LS460 every hour between two RX350s. The longest lines at the venue were the LS460/460L and GS450h lines. If you have never been to an event like this, come early, but expect to wait in the lines for a good 15-20 mins minimum. We sat in the LS line for over 30 mins as it got longer as the day went on.

The Drive:

The venue @ El Toro was split up in 3 tracks and cars. This will vary from each venue across the US due to space constraints and/or vehicle availablility. All the LS460's being driven and displayed were all pre-production models. My car count is not completely accurate, this is what I observed:

Track#1 (Left):
LS460/LS460L (2 LWB, 3 SWB)
BMW 750i (2)
MBZ S550 (2)

Track#2 (Center):
RX400h (2)
RX350 (2)
ES350
SC430

Track#3 (Right):
IS250/IS250 AWD
IS350 (1 Sport Package, the others were Luxury Package w/17" wheels)
GS350 (3)
GS450h (3)

Not Available for the drive:
GS430
LX470
GX470

The most notable drives I had other than the ES350, RX350, GS350, GS450h & Mercedes Benz S550 are the ones listed below. I didn't have time to wait for the BMW 750 and i'm already familiar with how the RX400h, IS250 AWD and SC430 drive, so I skipped those vehicles.

LS460L
I didn't bother with some of the other lines...was more interested in the LS460's new 1UR-FSE w/380hp. Powerwise, the v8 is outstanding. It is muted for most but it is definitely responsive. For those who are looking for handling performance, this is not the car for you. The LS460L I drove demonstrated alot of body roll, but it was definitely controlable. I did have the usual VSC and TRAC off but the track marshalls made sure you had them on before you started. Hence this isn't a car to be driven hard the way we did but it was definitely quiet, comfortable and most importantly, POWERFUL. When this motor is planted into the GS later on, this will draw a lot of interest back to that vehicle. The BMW 750 was the handling favorite by far and the S550, was well...big. The biggest disappointment I had was the right rear reclining ottoman in the LS460L. For those that are taller than 5' or so, you may be disappointed with this feature. No matter how tall you are, you must move the front passenger seat forward in order to recline and extend the ottoman feature. If not, your legs will hit the bottom of the front seat cushion as you extend it.

IS350
The VSC/TRAC off button disable is simply holding the TRAC OFF button for 3 seconds, wait for both VSC OFF & RAC icon to stay on, and you're set, no more pedal dance. I was able to keep the tires squealing throughout all the turns in the course. I hate to say it but the car felt more manageable to drive with no VSC beeping at you or TRAC retarding power to the wheels. Then again, once you know the feel and dynamics of the IS350, it's a pretty easy vehicle to drive, even with 306HP on tap w/no restrictions. Because the course marshall checked to see if TRAC OFF light was disabled, I was able to keep the girl distracted while I held onto the TRAC OFF button before she let us do our run. Here's how to do it...just use it at your own risk: How to disable VSC/TRAC simulaneously (2007 "VDIM" cutoff).

During the event, I bumped into many of our local SoCal CL members and many of them just came out to see and drive the new LS460. Most of them left before the bulk of the crowd came out. If you are planning to go to this event bring a lot of patience and expect to wait in long lines. Because there were so many people, some of us just rode along for the drive. There are too many people coming to these events as more people are internet savvy. Before you can switch off with friends riding with you in the car. Now, you can't switch drivers if there is a line of people waiting. Photos to come!

Last edited by flipside909; 09-18-06 at 08:22 PM.
Old 09-16-06, 04:44 PM
MSMLexIS
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for an excellent revue you let us know the cars available including competitor cars and didnt spoil it for us and you let us know about the food the only question is with the food do you have a meal ticket or do you get to eat as much as you like as was the case last year. Cant wait till october 7th when i get to go.
Old 09-16-06, 06:30 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by MSMLexIS
Thanks for an excellent revue you let us know the cars available including competitor cars and didnt spoil it for us and you let us know about the food the only question is with the food do you have a meal ticket or do you get to eat as much as you like as was the case last year. Cant wait till october 7th when i get to go.
There's really nothing to spoil. It's just a normal ride & drive event but with more people this year. If theres no line for the food line or snacks line, you just walk up to them. There are also some holding trays with other gormet hors d'oeuvres. There are also several beverage lines with water, coffee, juice and canned soda. If there is a line, you can wait up to 5 mins or more depending on how busy it is. Today, the line in the food line got so long, it reached up to the entry way after the hosts greet you at the front. Mind you the line starts at the other end of the tent. It's all you can eat but you have to wait in line to get more food. The food there was okay. It wasn't worth the 2nd trip up to wait for that's for sure.
Old 09-17-06, 04:11 PM
bobbo1978
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Taste of Lexus

The event was great. The food this year was much better than last year. Not sure if it's because I went during noon so they served lunch. The self parking on the LS is pretty cool. If every Lexus dealership have free food/massages/ESPN on Plasma TV I just might buy their car even though they don't drive as well as a BMW.
Old 09-17-06, 11:28 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

so here's my review of the event.

summary:
this year's taste of lexus is far much better than the one last year, and i actually call this one a lexus event again, one to remember and one that again demonstrate what lexus is all about. from the food to the environment, from the staff to the tracks, and also the cars, everything was top notch.

recap:
people who have been here last year know how bad i hate the event last year. it was so crowded, space was not enough, food was horrible, lines were all ridiculous, nothing was organized, drive was bad, staff were unfriendly, people were restricted. i felt like being in a training school than enjoy a luxury driving event.

right at the event entrance staff were very friendly and welcome us, and after the short sign up and orientation we were in the main area already where the es350, gs450h, and the ls460 were on demo. of course, drinks, food, and even massage was around the area as well. we didn't really care much about those first, i was there for one thing -- to drive

coming out, there were 3 tents, one for ls460, s550, and 750. one for es350, rx350, rx400h, and sc430. last one was for is250, is350, gs350, and gs450h. since i was only interested in couple of cars, and the lines got very long after 10am (i got there at 9am), i only drove the ls460, ls460l, gs450h, and gs350. here's my review

ls460 and ls460l"
wow, just wow. call me biased (i probably am). they have a demo black ls460l with the full RSES package, we sat in and a staff greeted us. after some talking, i was sooo glad that he decided to take the key and demo eveything to us!!!!! we were in the backseat all the time, and he demo the whole massage, seat, etc... it was just amazing, very comfortable, very spacous (for 2 seats), and i really felt one step above just being in a luxury sedan. i felt like i was a vip or something, it was such a good feeling!!! even my wife loves it a lot, and she said if we get the ls460, we need to get the RSES @_@

i am not surprised or disappointed about the ottoman though. given that the ls460l is only 5" longer than the ls460, there is no way you can use the footrest all the way up and still put a person in the front passenger. i tested it quite a bit with my wife (me 5'7" and she is 5'). if i am in the back with the foot rest all the way up, she could still sit in the front but not "very comfortable", and if someone sits in the front comfortably, i can still use the foodrest in teh back, just not all the way up.

off to the drive, the car is FAST!!! for a car of this size, it's definitely much faster than the ls430, the pull was crazy. braking was disappointing though, both me and my wife didn't really like it. way too soft and don't think it stopped the car fast enough. nothing compared to our current cars or the bmw i have driven. i really would say there are room for improvement. and handling is so-so as well, probably like normal lexus-ish? body roll was pretty bad, but the food thing was steering was pretty smooth and precise. i think that's a great improvement over the current ls430, where the steering response is slower.

i also found it pretty surprising that the ls460l drives pretty close to the ls460. i didn't really feel the extra 5 inches, and the turning radius of both rides are awesome still. on both fast turning and lane change the car still felt very much under control. overall i am very happy about the car, this is definitely a whole new level for lexus

gs450h:
what a performance ride!!!!!! the active variable suspension was incredible, to the point that i think it totally transform the gs platform. and let me tell you, even my wife in the passenger seat, when we were on the FIRST corner (given that i in general push the cars pretty hard), said the car is different, it's vey flat and handle very well.

the whole system really pulls the car together very nicely on curves and corners, the handling of the car is amazing, i LOVE it. i have no idea why lexus wouldn't want to put that feature on the ls460. i think that car needs this bad.

the 450h also accelerates VERY fast, and most of all, VERY quietly. i didn't hear any tranny shift due to cvt of course, but i almost didn't hear the engine at all even on full throttle! what a car to drive

gs350:
within my expectation, close to the is350, and that's about it. it's fast, but the engine was substantially louder than the gs450h, plus the tranny jog of course. and handling was soooo much worse than the gs450h, i totally lost the kind of confidence i had with the gs450h on corners. the car rolled quite a bit more and my wife felt very much the same way

food and crowd:
this time it's so much better. a lot of staff to organize people to line up for food instead of people just yelling and stealing food. moreover food are so much better as well, from the full course breakfast (man did we get full...) to the lunch, also something spectacular

gift:
not really big part of intention in going to lexus event anyway. to me, anything is cool. i am not going to say what it is here, will let you guys wait and see. it's nothing spectacular, nothing i will use for sure, but nonetheless, thanks!

overall, again, i love the event, so much better than last year and i felt like i was at lexus event again, not other chessy brand. my wife felt the same way. my good friend felt the same way.

and of course, to certain extend it was like lexus meet since i ran into couple of friends, and outside in the parking lot, it's CL cars here and there
Old 09-17-06, 11:33 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

here are some pics

main tent

the full lineup of lexus

the ls460l with RSES. that idiot in the driver seat, that's me....

ls460, s550, and 750 course

es350, rx350, rx400h, sc430

performance course, is250, is350, gs350, gs450h
Old 09-18-06, 12:19 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

I will have to agree with Henry, the GS450h has outstanding handling due to the fact it does have AVS (Adaptive Variable Suspension) and the Active Stabilizer Suspension System which allowed to keep the 450h very flat and composed around the corners. The GS350 obviously did not have any suspension aides to assist so it did exhibit more body roll than the 450h. Any good aftermarket suspension should fix that, expecially since the 450h has a 10 to 15k premium over the 350.

I will have to say that the "Sport Shift" mode in the GS450h is useless considering it has a CVT. Power is very linear in the GS450...it's a "quick" that most people are not used to due to the absence of standard gears.
Old 09-18-06, 12:30 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by flipside909
I will have to agree with Henry, the GS450h has outstanding handling due to the fact it does have AVS (Adaptive Variable Suspension) and the Active Stabilizer Suspension System which allowed to keep the 450h very flat and composed around the corners. The GS350 obviously did not have any suspension aides to assist so it did exhibit more body roll than the 450h. Any good aftermarket suspension should fix that, expecially since the 450h has a 10 to 15k premium over the 350.

I will have to say that the "Sport Shift" mode in the GS450h is useless considering it has a CVT. Power is very linear in the GS450...it's a "quick" that most people are not used to due to the absence of standard gears.
hehe, just to be fair, the 10-15k doesn't go into just the suspension the power and gas mileage too
Old 09-18-06, 01:07 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by rominl
hehe, just to be fair, the 10-15k doesn't go into just the suspension the power and gas mileage too
LOL true. But the GS350 gets better HWY mileage than the 450h. 29 hwy vs the 450h's smaller trunk and 28 mpg hwy.
Old 09-18-06, 01:11 AM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thx for the reviews guys, it makes me more excited to be at the event this year! I am pleased at the improvements that they apparently made this time, although it's still crowded.
Old 09-18-06, 02:13 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

I honestly have to say the crowds are worse this year. As more and more people find out about these events, the more people that come out. At one time the LS line almost met up with the GS450h line which was across the tarmack on the otherside of the venue!
Old 09-18-06, 10:37 AM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by flipside909
I honestly have to say the crowds are worse this year. As more and more people find out about these events, the more people that come out. At one time the LS line almost met up with the GS450h line which was across the tarmack on the otherside of the venue!
i agree on the crowd volume. by the afternoon the staff had put out "30 min from this point" signs out!! i felt like i was at magic mountain or something! they timed our wait in the GS 450h line, it was about 1hr 5 min.

i thought the event was very snazzy and the interior of the tent was nice - felt like more interior seating room. ran into some friends i hadn't seen in years and it was cool to get some drinks and hang out for a while.

loved the IS350 on the track. actually almost lost control but the handy VDIM kicked in and we made it around the turn without taking out any cones (for a second i was sliding out and thought i was about to lose my driving privileges ) the 450h was surprisingly stable and very nimble, really didn't get a chance to feel the CVT or quiet hybrid at idle, but it felt much more seamless than in the RX hybrid, which is a huge plus IMO.

all in all, it was a great time, and when 6pm rolled around we were sad to be on our way...

Quick Reply: Taste of Lexus 2006 Its official.