Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Taste of Lexus 2006 Its official.

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-06, 06:28 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the first reviews, flip and rominl. Sucks to hear about the extremely long wait. I thought they limit the number of participants by doing pre-registration? Guess that was just a joke after all. They really need offer more cars than just 3 of each to drive. 3 cars just doesn't cut it anymore. At least the food is good. But even that requires a long wait.... Oh well, can't complain much when it's free eh. Guess I'll have to try my best to enjoy the event in its fullest when it's our NorCalers' turn.
Old 09-18-06, 06:51 PM
MSMLexIS
Lexus Champion

Whats with the wheels on the SC in the picture also love the reviews last year was my first event so i think the improvments might really make a difference to me i look forward to the event and will post my review on saturday night.
Old 09-18-06, 08:26 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
Thanks for the first reviews, flip and rominl. Sucks to hear about the extremely long wait. I thought they limit the number of participants by doing pre-registration? Guess that was just a joke after all. They really need offer more cars than just 3 of each to drive. 3 cars just doesn't cut it anymore. At least the food is good. But even that requires a long wait.... Oh well, can't complain much when it's free eh. Guess I'll have to try my best to enjoy the event in its fullest when it's our NorCalers' turn.
Yeah, the longer lines really make the event not as fun as they used to. I miss those days when the event was exclusive, by invite only. The pre-registration is just to get a good headcount. Every year they accept walk-ups, and never turn anyone away. It's a lot more fun to go with a group of friends. It makes waiting in line a breeze.
Old 09-18-06, 08:32 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by lexuslover
i agree on the crowd volume. by the afternoon the staff had put out "30 min from this point" signs out!! i felt like i was at magic mountain or something! they timed our wait in the GS 450h line, it was about 1hr 5 min.
Wow an hour and 5 mins? Now that is ridiculous.

I managed to get VSC to beep at me with every Lexus vehicle I drove during majority of the turns. It's a lot easier to do with the RX because of the higher center of gravity. They key is to limit or not hit the brakes during your drive. Just make sure you don't hit any cones or get yourself kicked out of the event.
Old 09-18-06, 10:44 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by flipside909
LOL true. But the GS350 gets better HWY mileage than the 450h. 29 hwy vs the 450h's smaller trunk and 28 mpg hwy.
hahhaa, i am willing to pay price for performance. the gs450h performs better for sure, and it's smoother but i agree, the trunk, it's pretty silly
Old 09-18-06, 10:46 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by flipside909
I honestly have to say the crowds are worse this year. As more and more people find out about these events, the more people that come out. At one time the LS line almost met up with the GS450h line which was across the tarmack on the otherside of the venue!
really? the crowd was worse? i don't know, i would hold my comment on that until the event in alameda point takes place on 9/30. that's when i can do comparison with last year where i saw the REAL crowd.

while i saw a lot of people at the lexus event this yr, it was nothing compared to how cramped it was last year when i was there. by noon time, the i counted about 50 people in line for the sc430, compared to about 20 this past weekend.
Old 09-18-06, 10:47 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by lexuslover
i agree on the crowd volume. by the afternoon the staff had put out "30 min from this point" signs out!! i felt like i was at magic mountain or something! they timed our wait in the GS 450h line, it was about 1hr 5 min.

i thought the event was very snazzy and the interior of the tent was nice - felt like more interior seating room. ran into some friends i hadn't seen in years and it was cool to get some drinks and hang out for a while.

loved the IS350 on the track. actually almost lost control but the handy VDIM kicked in and we made it around the turn without taking out any cones (for a second i was sliding out and thought i was about to lose my driving privileges ) the 450h was surprisingly stable and very nimble, really didn't get a chance to feel the CVT or quiet hybrid at idle, but it felt much more seamless than in the RX hybrid, which is a huge plus IMO.

all in all, it was a great time, and when 6pm rolled around we were sad to be on our way...
lol, for the ls460 line, the "30 min" tag was out even before noon time

that's why i ALWAYS ALWAYS get there before 9am. i rather wake up early and finish all my driving sooner. i hate to be in line, the worst way to waste time imho
Old 09-19-06, 04:19 PM
MSMLexIS
Lexus Champion

Do they have any obstacles for you to drive the SUV's over this year. I mean like a mini off road course or something.
Old 09-19-06, 04:30 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 472 Likes on 362 Posts

I was very happy to get there at 9. For that brief hour, you could pretty much walk up and get intot he car to drive...maybe wait 3-10 minutes. By 10...that was about it and as Flip and Rominl stated, it was crazy.

The driving aside, the breakfast food was tasty:

Old 09-19-06, 04:39 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 472 Likes on 362 Posts

No line!

Rominl driving. Note...this 460 had the lowest ride height of the 460's there.
Old 09-19-06, 04:56 PM
MSMLexIS
Lexus Champion

Wow the brekfast alone looks great i wont even ask about the lunch i cant wait to taste the smoothies and the bagel with the fruit on top looks great i saw a few others that look great cant wait for the event about two more weeks to go. The food selection looks much improved from last year eventhough the food was good that year.
Old 09-19-06, 05:01 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Mouthwatering!!!! Thanks for the pics!!!
Old 09-19-06, 05:08 PM
MSMLexIS
Lexus Champion

Im really going to enjoy the food portion of the event this year. As for the cars i want to drive the ES350, LS460, and the GS450h. Im not as excited about driving this year probably because last year i couldnt wait to drive the new IS to compare it to mine also i was really itching to drive the GS430 and the SC430 was and will always be my dream car now that ive driven them i guess im waiting for Lexus to make a new car to get me excited again. But i do want to try and see if i can enjoy the spa this year i didnt get to try it last year so i guess this year will be more about luxury than performance.
Old 09-19-06, 05:46 PM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MSMLexIS
Do they have any obstacles for you to drive the SUV's over this year. I mean like a mini off road course or something.
not this year unfortunately

i was telling my friends how cool it was last year with the incline ramp and the logs, but oh well. this year no LX or GX to drive...
Old 09-19-06, 05:51 PM
MSMLexIS
Lexus Champion

Last year the offroad course was ok ive seen pics from 04 and that was a really nice offroad course i wouldve really enjoyed that one.

Quick Reply: Taste of Lexus 2006 Its official.