Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Taste of Lexus 2006 Its official.

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-06, 04:05 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

Why do you think they would exclude just the LS460 then, when they would sell a lot more in #'s of the rest of the Lexus models & honour the gift certificates they have given out ? Hmmm . . .
Old 10-13-06, 04:14 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Well simply because they don't want to/even need to discount their newest, hottest, flagship model. The other vehicles have been out a while, and a discount wouldn't hurt there. But imagine the press if it was revealed that Lexus was discounting on its new flagship at release!

They have it right (from their perspective) to have any ToL incentive not apply to the flagship. From my perspective, the LS is way hot and they are keeping the cookie jar too far away!!! Prices going up et al...but evidently they can do it.
Old 10-13-06, 04:35 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

They have given an X number of gift certificates out worth $750 each, the sale of an LS with the certificate would "hurt" them just as much as any other Lexus models.
I don't see how they can be seen as discounting their new flagship if they accept a gift certicate for it , the price still wasn't negotiable if they want to say so, but it's just like taking a trade-in for the LS, you can say you didn't give a single dollar off, but you can still give your customer a sweeter deal by accepting a higher trade-in value for the car, I don't think whether people say they are discounting the LS460 at launch as much of an issue at all.

Besides, if you have the right connections, there will always be people who can get discounts even for a hot new car. Some can even bypass the salesmae & buy it straight from the owner or sales manager at a lower price if they have the right connection.

Anyway, my point is I don't see the $750 gift certificate as really a gift , at least not necessarily equal to the nominal value on the certificate, but just a tool to draw people in the Lexus showroom. It makes you think it's helpful, but in the end, you may not get the exact advantage(if at all) equal to the nominal value of the gift certificate although you may think you do.
Old 10-13-06, 05:04 PM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LexArazzo
They have given an X number of gift certificates out worth $750 each, the sale of an LS with the certificate would "hurt" them just as much as any other Lexus models.
I don't see how they can be seen as discounting their new flagship if they accept a gift certicate for it , the price still wasn't negotiable if they want to say so, but it's just like taking a trade-in for the LS, you can say you didn't give a single dollar off, but you can still give your customer a sweeter deal by accepting a higher trade-in value for the car, I don't think whether people say they are discounting the LS460 at launch as much of an issue at all.

Besides, if you have the right connections, there will always be people who can get discounts even for a hot new car. Some can even bypass the salesmae & buy it straight from the owner or sales manager at a lower price if they have the right connection.

Anyway, my point is I don't see the $750 gift certificate as really a gift , at least not necessarily equal to the nominal value on the certificate, but just a tool to draw people in the Lexus showroom. It makes you think it's helpful, but in the end, you may not get the exact advantage(if at all) equal to the nominal value of the gift certificate although you may think you do.
They want to boost sales of the other vehicles. Think of it as an incentive that the dealer doesn't know about till the end, and which doesn't affect their bottom line. They make the same amount no matter what. GS4 sales have been suffering. LX, too. Extra $750 burning a hole in your pocket, maybe you'll buy one. LS, those sales will be hot from the get-go no matter what.
Old 10-14-06, 10:31 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Incendiary
They want to boost sales of the other vehicles. Think of it as an incentive that the dealer doesn't know about till the end, and which doesn't affect their bottom line. They make the same amount no matter what. GS4 sales have been suffering. LX, too. Extra $750 burning a hole in your pocket, maybe you'll buy one. LS, those sales will be hot from the get-go no matter what.
The GS4 & LX are never their big volume sellers anyway, so I doubt it. Their big volume sellers, the RX, ES & IS are doing very well. That's generous of them to give an extra $750 off for cars they have no problems selling if that's the case.
Anyway, we don't have events like this up here & I've never get such gift certificates, you guys have them in front of you & should have a better grasp of what's the deal.

Last edited by Gojirra99; 10-14-06 at 10:38 AM.
Old 10-15-06, 10:51 PM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

The GS4 & LX are never their big volume sellers anyway, so I doubt it. Their big volume sellers, the RX, ES & IS are doing very well. That's generous of them to give an extra $750 off for cars they have no problems selling if that's the case.
Anyway, we don't have events like this up here & I've never get such gift certificates, you guys have them in front of you & should have a better grasp of what's the deal.
Well, hmm, that is a good point that they are selling well. Not sure how else to justify it, though.
Old 10-16-06, 08:12 AM
93illini
Driver School Candidate

MSMLexIS,

So I have a deal, VIN#, car in port, making it's way to dealer for delivery around Oct 28.

A few questions:
- Seems like you attended an Oct 7 TOL event and got an email rebate Oct 12 - yes/no?
- Does the rebate info need to be provided to dealer at delivery, or do you submit info (bill of sales, etc) directly to Lexus?
- Are the rebates transferrable, or are they restricted to the TOL participant? I realize they are probably bar coded to restrict to single use.
Old 10-17-06, 12:50 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

I don't really believe in the actual usefulness of a gift certificate towards buying a car in most cases, especially when they exclude the model which will likely sell at MSRP in many cases at least for a while like the new LS460.

How good a price you get mostly depends on how well you negotiate plus supply/demand etc. Bottom line - the dealer won't sell you the car at a price below what they want to sell to you for, gift certificate or not.
If you can get a certain discount plus the amount of the gift certificate, another customer without the gift certificate can still get the equivalent low price if he/she shops/negotiates well.
well, bottom line is i used it on my sc430 and got an even sweeter deal

but i understand what you mean on the ls460 though. however, one thing for sure, when you negotiate the price of the car, they have no idea who you are, your name, etc... so they had no idea if you have the gift cert or not. plus the GC money actually comes directly from lexus corp, the dealership doesn't lose a cent in the sales.

my guess is lexus doesn't want to the GC to be on the LS coz' they know most GC will be used on the LS if that's the case. they know the LS will sell hot but they want to "distract" people to other models that are a bit abandoned
Old 10-17-06, 05:47 AM
MSMLexIS
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah from what most dealers are saying the new LS is bringing in alot of attention and there have been alot of preorders. Lets just hope they dont have any quality problems with this one.
Old 10-17-06, 08:59 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by MSMLexIS
Yeah from what most dealers are saying the new LS is bringing in alot of attention and there have been alot of preorders. Lets just hope they dont have any quality problems with this one.
it would be a big shame if that's the case....
Old 10-17-06, 10:45 AM
MSMLexIS
Lexus Champion

Lets just hope its not and hope the LS cuts into 7 and s class sales.
Old 10-17-06, 01:19 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

and hopefully they dont have the supply problems like the IS had and have customers endure 4 month waits
Old 10-17-06, 02:51 PM
MSMLexIS
Lexus Champion

Well looking at how hot the car is and how few they will produce the wait times will possibly exceed 4months and go as far as 6 months. But it will sell and have a big influence on the market nuch like the original LS400 and the prior LS430.
Old 10-23-06, 01:10 PM
MSMLexIS
Lexus Champion

Bump has anyone else gone to Taste of Lexus and have a review. I think the last event is in Nov.
Old 10-23-06, 01:27 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Going in Nov! Can't wait.

Quick Reply: Taste of Lexus 2006 Its official.