Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Taste of Lexus 2006 Its official.

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-06, 02:58 PM
MSMLexIS
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by enigma888
Going in Nov! Can't wait.
Well let us know what you think and take some pics.
Old 10-23-06, 04:14 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I went to the even in NY yesterday, it was a total blast!
Old 10-23-06, 05:45 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I was told by two lexus employees at the event that the cars are sent to the crusher after the event
Old 10-23-06, 08:04 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Im going to make this short considering the tons of reviews yall have in this thread already (well atleast try to ).

Well I had great fun at this event!! First time going so it is a new experience for me. I didnt have high expectations, but I was impressed.

I really enjoyed driving the LS. Everything about it is smooth and classy. Great features, tons of room, lots of power. It doesnt handle as well as the 750iL, but it sure beats it at everything else IMO. The first thing I noticed when I got in the LS was the thickness of the steering wheel. It is very grippy and felt perfect in my hands. Then when I got into the S550, it was like holding a straw. It was very thin and slippery. It just didnt feel right. I also thought that the LS and the S550 had very similar ride qualities. Both rolled trough the turns, both hesitated after you punched the gas, and both had a lot of nosedive. However for some reason when I drove the S550 it felt like I was really driving a big car. But when I hopped in the LS, it felt like I was driving a smaller car. The 750iL had great reflexes and response to my inputs. When I wanted it to acclerate it didnt hesitate, think about it for a few seconds, had a cup of coffee, then decided to go, it just got up and went (the way its suppose to be). Same with the steering and handling. Its amazing that such a big car can drive so well around a test course.

I dont know about anyone else, but with the short time I was in the Bimmer and MB, I found the iDrive to be more userfriendly. I couldnt figure out how to do anything with the MB COMMAND system. I would press the Navi button(and even the menu button), but it would stay on the seat adjustments screen.

Moving onto the intermediate track, I actually enjoyed driving the SC this time around. Nice comfortable riding car. The VSC kept cutting in big time, but it was still fun to throw around. I dont know how some ppl fit in the SC430 though, its so small and the seats have very limited adjustments. I guess everyone who owns it must be 5'5".

The ES was nice to drive. It felt easy and comfortable, though the steering is overboosted IMO. The perfect car to get if you want luxury at a great price point. You simply cant beat it.

The RX400h is a nice truck as well. However the day before I had the chance to drive the 2007 Acura MDX Sport and Non Sport models, and I must say its not even a comparision right now. Everythnig the RX does, the MDX does waaayyy better. Im sure Lexus is going to step it up for the next generation RX. But as of right now, I can easily recommend the MDX over the RX. Moving along...

The performance track was great fun. The 450h I had was a rocket. That front end lifted nad took off (Me gasping for air, eyes wide open with the biggest smile on my face)!! And the CVT wasnt to bad either. I never driven a car with a CVT before, so I was expecting something totally different, but walked away totally impressed. I could actually live with a GS450h. I got a little to happy with the acceleration in the 450h and floored it through the finish line. 15min later the host gets on the TV screens and basically said they dont appreciate ppl speeding through the 5mph zone. WOOPS!! My bad!!

But both GS's IMO were kinda floppy through the turns. Not a car that likes fast side to side transitions. It gets unsettled after awhile. Though it is a capable car than can definitely handle the turns, it doesnt give you the confidence or proper feedback that you really want. You can definitely feel the heft and softer suspension (even when in sport mode).

However what I really love about the GS is the perfect driving position. Some people might describe this as "The GS has a very small interior", but to me it felt like sitting in a real cockpit. The center console between the front seats are high, the seats are a little low, and everything is in very close reach. They have the driving position down perfectly, but the dynamics do not compliment the driving position.

Then I hopped in the IS's and it took those same turns much faster and it was easier to control. Very predictable and the tranny downshifted pretty quick and flew out of the corners. I was more confident driving the IS compared to the GS. I liked it a lot!!! Its crazy to think that the GS and IS are built on the same platform, yet are so different in driving dynamics. I gotta get me one of these!!

I need to test drive the new 3-series now considering the general consensus is that it handles and provides better feedback compared to the IS.

Pics to come soon...

Last edited by GFerg; 10-23-06 at 08:12 PM.
Old 10-23-06, 08:49 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Default Just a few pics...

I tried HARD to capture the color of this SC. I just couldnt do it. I think it is Smoky Granite Mica with the Ecru interior. This color combination is BADASS!!! They also had Matador Red with the Saddle or Camel interior there as well. Unbeleiveable as well.

Old 10-23-06, 09:02 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Old 10-23-06, 09:13 PM
MSMLexIS
Lexus Champion

Really nice pics. Looks like they had a nicer track than the redskins football field parking lot. Also looks like there were more cars available.
Old 10-23-06, 09:48 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Really??I thought they needed more cars!! LOL After awhile the lines got really long for the more popular vehicles. They only had 2 GS450h's there. They could have really benefited by having a third one but considering that it is a limited production vehicle, I guess I should be happy that they even made 2 available for us to drive. I think they had 4 or 5 LS460's(correct me if I am wrong), 2 750iL's & S550's, 3 SC430's, 3 ES350's, 2 of each of the RX400h/350 and 2 IS250's and 4 or 5 of the IS350's.

And I think all of the cars were brand new. I was expecting some run down cars since the tour is almost over, but most of the cars didnt even have 50 miles on them when I was driving them in the AM. The LS460's I believe were all production models as well.
Old 10-23-06, 10:29 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

man you had the full course already, that's all the cars they had for the event. at the sf event they split up and they only had half the cars. what a real pain....
Old 10-24-06, 05:56 AM
MSMLexIS
Lexus Champion

Yeah there were two LS460s to drive and later a third that you could ride in with a professional driver.
Old 10-24-06, 08:51 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by MSMLexIS
Yeah there were two LS460s to drive and later a third that you could ride in with a professional driver.
then you only saw half the team. the full team had about 8 ls460. 2 for display, leaving 6 to drive. i believe that was the case back in socal. when it was in norcal, it was down to 4
Old 10-24-06, 10:09 AM
LexusChris
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

MY my it was such a fun day, the food was much better, the LS 460L with the executive package is so amazing. It is so amazingly quiet I thought I was in a hybrid when I first walked in! I love how the screen in the rear automatically opens when you hit the push button... The only downfall of the day was the crowded lines for the IS350 and GS450h hybrid.
Old 10-24-06, 10:35 AM
MSMLexIS
Lexus Champion

More nice pics glad to see everyone else enjoying themselves as well. Yeah at our event there was an LS460L on display and two LS460's one to drive and one to ride in with a pro and there was one LS460L to drive.
Old 10-25-06, 12:25 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

ah very nice that they allowed you to flip down the rear lcd screen. i wished i colud see that in person, but they took that remote away and didn't turn on the power for the car
Old 10-25-06, 12:33 PM
MSMLexIS
Lexus Champion

Yeah that was kind of a disappoinment didnt get to fully raise the rear leg rest or try out the shiatsu massage cuase the car did not have the power on.

Quick Reply: Taste of Lexus 2006 Its official.