Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2007 Toyota Corolla....not as nice as I expected!!(Update-launch of Redesign Delayed)

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-06, 01:27 AM
robloc93
Lexus Test Driver

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

some more pics I found.......these look better:

this has has to be BS! but it has potential!

more...damn I really wonder what it will look like

Old 07-09-06, 07:46 AM
mink92890
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, it is of the current Corolla UK Model spwolf... I had no idea it was not released yet, otherwise I would have taken pictures of it. It was not masked or anything. The front has that Camry resemblance, and the back does not look like any of the the rears posted...

Mink92890
Old 07-09-06, 07:48 AM
videcormeum
Lexus Champion

I'd buy a corolla that looked like this (as was posted earlier):

That's hot.

M.
Old 07-09-06, 07:50 AM
jrock65
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by spwolf
except that that is not true

:-).
It does seem a bit suspect seeing as how it is more than a year away from launch. But which of the four points do you believe is totally false?
Old 07-09-06, 08:18 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by rosskoss
That looks like a Hyundai to me. If it really is the new Corolla, it'd be a step backward. The new Civic design may be polarizing, but it makes everything else on the road look dated in comparison, both interior and exterior.
Dated does not necessarily mean bad. Some Toyota / Lexus designs of the mid-90's ( roughly 10 years ago) are far better-looking than those of today, inside and out. The Camry, Avalon, and Celica, in particular, I think, reached their peaks during that period, and it's been all downhill ever since.

Hondas, with the exception of the Prelude, IMO, reached the peak of their looks and design even earlier....in the early 90's.....they have been sliding downhill even longer. The new Civic is the latest and one of the best examples.

If some people think this new Corolla looks " dated " so be it. I thought the first pictures posted of it at the thread opening were the best-looking Corolla yet.
Old 07-09-06, 08:45 AM
mink92890
Lead Lap

Do you think the car I saw was an actual? Because if it is more than a year away from launch, its kind of weird to already have one in the USA without any covering.

If you guys go the the UK toyota site, the corolla there is pretty hot and the front was 100% the same.
http://www.barriecars.co.uk/images/C...4d%20Front.jpg

I can testify that the car was extremely hot in person. If i didnt see it in the Uk i would have NEVER guessed it was a Corolla

They've got another bestseller

Mink92890
Old 07-09-06, 09:28 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mink92890
Do you think the car I saw was an actual? Because if it is more than a year away from launch, its kind of weird to already have one in the USA without any covering.

If you guys go the the UK toyota site, the corolla there is pretty hot and the front was 100% the same.
http://www.barriecars.co.uk/images/C...4d%20Front.jpg

I can testify that the car was extremely hot in person. If i didnt see it in the Uk i would have NEVER guessed it was a Corolla

They've got another bestseller

Mink92890
Well we're talking about the next-gen Corolla here, so the fact that what you saw looked like a CURRENT-gen Corolla means that it was not what the next-gen will look like. What you saw was probably just an engineering prototype of the next-gen Corolla sedan under the cover of the current-gen European Corolla.

BTW, I don't see what's so hot about the UK Corolla either.
Old 07-09-06, 09:44 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jrock65
Apparently, the Corolla will be:

1) Also available as a 2 door coupe.

2) Sedan will have standard 2.0L engine with 150 hp at 6250 rpm / 146 torque at 4500 rpm.

3) Coupe will have optional 2.0L engine with 200 hp at 6250 rpm / 135 torque at 4000 rpm.

4) The auto transmission will be a CVT transmission.
Perhaps convince us by giving us your source of info?

Here's the source of info I've got:
http://wardsauto.com/home/toyota_economy_emissions/

According to Ward's Auto, the all-new DVVT-i 1.8L launching this fall will become the new cornerstone of Toyota's compact and midsize passenger vehicles. With the capabilities of the DVVT-i technology so well demonstrated by Toyota's recent engines, I think the 1.8L will indeed be making enough horsepower and low-end torque to power all their new entry-level cars, and that a 2.0L will not be needed.
Old 07-10-06, 09:09 AM
ARB
Lead Lap

Sometimes new cars are released a year earlier in Europe or Asia than here in the states. The Corolla you see on toyota.co.uk is the new Corolla. They have pictures of the 3 & 5 door hatchback, the 4 door sedan(saloon in uk) and the wagon. It comes w/ std. side & curtain airbags like the current civic which is big step in safety. The US version may look a little different than the uk version but they are essentially the same. For a compact car I think it looks very good. The new Civic looks good in dark colors only.. like the Royal Blue Pearl.
Attached Thumbnails 2007 Toyota Corolla....not as nice as I expected!!(Update-launch of Redesign Delayed)-image1_800.jpg  
Old 07-10-06, 09:10 AM
ARB
Lead Lap

Default Both cars look good for their class

Royal Blue Pearl Civic...
Attached Thumbnails 2007 Toyota Corolla....not as nice as I expected!!(Update-launch of Redesign Delayed)-civic2.jpg  
Old 07-10-06, 09:22 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by ARB
Sometimes new cars are released a year earlier in Europe or Asia than here in the states. The Corolla you see on toyota.co.uk is the new Corolla. They have pictures of the 3 & 5 door hatchback, the 4 door sedan(saloon in uk) and the wagon. It comes w/ std. side & curtain airbags like the current civic which is big step in safety. The US version may look a little different than the uk version but they are essentially the same. For a compact car I think it looks very good. The new Civic looks good in dark colors only.. like the Royal Blue Pearl.
right, new Corolla as in October 2001 new.
Old 07-10-06, 09:36 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ARB
I'm pretty sure that's the same Corolla that's been sold in Japan for years. Hardly next-gen.
Old 07-10-06, 10:37 AM
ARB
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
I'm pretty sure that's the same Corolla that's been sold in Japan for years. Hardly next-gen.
Oh ur right, my mistake lol
Old 07-10-06, 11:55 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts
Default Toyota engineers stretched too thin, Corolla redesign delayed

Toyota has delayed the launch of its redesigned Corolla until spring 2008. The car was delayed because the Japanese automaker's engineers were stretched too thin by several other projects, according to trade publication Automotive News. The current Corolla has been on the market for the last six years. Typically, Toyota likes to replace vehicles after five years.

AutoPacific analyst Jim Hall speculates Toyota may use the delay to make changes to the automaker's conservative plans for the car. Apparently, many people within Toyota feel the automaker should opt for a more aggressive design to compete with the Honda Civic.

Toyota executive Jim Lentz said he's not concerned about the delay. The automaker sold 40,000 Corollas last month alone, and there's no sign of slowing sales.

source : leftlanenews
Old 07-10-06, 09:18 PM
ecr527
Lexus Champion

By looking at those pics, it looks like the car under wraps is the car that was shown in Motor Trend. It doesn't look agressive by any means. But then again, it's a Corolla, it's not supposed to be a sports car. The pic of the car from the UK Toyota website looks pretty good, but the foreign markets usually get a car different from what they sell here, so we probably wouldn't get something that looks like that.

It will definitely sell. The name alone will sell it, regardless of what it looks like.

Quick Reply: 2007 Toyota Corolla....not as nice as I expected!!(Update-launch of Redesign Delayed)