Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

New ride dilemma: Supra, RX7, Evo VIII, or Tundra

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-06, 05:08 AM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 127 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
any chance you could give us a price bracket your trying to stay inside?

my thought is that for the cost of getting and modding the rx7 or supra, could could pick up something like a used Lotus Elise (<$40k) or an Ariel Atom (~$43-45k)

Otherwise theres always the S2000
Well my typical go-fast budget falls within the $10-15k per year bracet. This would easily buy me a new 100+ hp motorcycle, race added suspension and tires, and trackdays all year long to boot. Now, since I came from cars beforehand, I understand thats a fairly low amount for the type of speed I'm looking at (mid 12 ETs at least), so I would say offhand 30k is the top ceiling. I'm not really into extravagant cars, rather more of the Japanese imports (I still remember vividly the old days of Domestic vs. Imports at Sacto raceway). I figure all the vehicles I noted should meet that $$ and performance criteria for the most part. Having also owned a S2000, yes it is a great choice, but really not my cup of tea, unless boosted which then almost excludes it price wise.
Old 07-11-06, 05:10 AM
ST430
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Shinobi-X
Including emissions, oil demands, and the big SUV wave which hit the US.
Shinoboi, do you have any more details of your car anywhere? Your performance must be outstanding given the LOW weight and high po output of the Wenkel. Curious what mods you performed for such numbers and its relative reliablitiy.
Old 07-11-06, 07:05 AM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ST430
Shinoboi, do you have any more details of your car anywhere? Your performance must be outstanding given the LOW weight and high po output of the Wenkel. Curious what mods you performed for such numbers and its relative reliablitiy.
Sure thing, just keep in mind, that my car is rather humble (you'll see why later). I'll pull my main mod list from the other forum:

93' Blk RX-7:Large Streetport, intake w/hard pipe/heat shield, Downpipe, Midpipe w/metallic cat, RB dual tip Catback, 2row FMIC w/elbow, Y-pipe, Air Pump elim., pulleys, PFC (fuel computer), Turbo Supra fuel pump, 1300cc secondary injectors, ACT S/S Clutch, GR S.Shifter, Strut brace, Harness bar, Koni shocks, Eibach stabalizer bars, mounts/springs (1.5in drop), PU motor mounts, Koyo Radiator, Pettit AST, Boost/Temp/AF Gauges, SS oil lines, 51R battery (in psngr bin), Momo Evo wheel & e-brake, HID sleek & 99 tail lights, hood struts, CF sills, updated turn lamps. etc.

^^ The setup is good for 11s@ traps ranging around 117mph, but traction is an issue with the stock wheels (which are lighter, but provide 8.5in width). Most of the weight on the car exist in the exhaust system, so running lighter components, or taking off cats reduce weight by a good bit. I'm running a lighter battery, lighter wheel, removed the air pump, A/C, pre-cat, sound system, headlight motors (why I went to sleeks) etc. and a bunch of other stuff that I really can't remember, lol. With a turbo upgrade and 17psi, people are bringing in numbers of 415+ rwhp, which should be enough to stay competitive with quite a few vehicles...and should be my next step.

Just to let you know too, I restored the car from being parted out, and junked, so thats how I came about my pricing numbers in previous post. I figured keeping one more of the rare cars on the road would be great, but it is not cheap (or finished) by any means. I've made mistakes in the past with my car, and continue to see places where I can improve on my mods in other areas...that will come with owning one, and at times can be discouraging. You can make the car more reliable (pretty cheap and easy), with regard to engine performance/behavior, but again, age in combination with the heat given off by the rotary does primarily require some time and attention to keep a properly functioning vehicle (I myself have to do new suspension and differential bushings). If you want 12s, you can do so easily with an RX-7, and given $15k a year, with regard to a mod-budget, I think you could make it happen. Just be sure that you have patience, make sure to start with a car in good condition, and have either a good bunch of handy rotary guys around you, or a mechanic/shop who knows the cars inside and out.

And so I don't make it out to be one complete horror story, I'll go ahead and say that most cases stray from the ideal, but a good bit are just fine with their cars. Also, while I'm shamelessly riding the rotary propaganda machine , just to stir some generic interest, here is a dyno of one of our forum favorites, which I think anyone who enjoys cars can appreciate:

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-...Kila-Dyno1.jpg
^^ 685 rwhp

And here are some links of the car in action:
http://www.rx7club.com/showthread.ph...&highlight=685

Good luck

rotaryeye,
Old 07-17-06, 10:23 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Well after more thought into everything, I went to a local Toyota dealer that had 2 Supra TT's in stock. They wanted $55k for a pristine 98' TT model, although auto and $41k for an older 94' model, albeit it was a hardtop coupe that i liked. Tried to haggle with them to see if they would come down to more reasonable pricing, but they wouldn't even budge not even one single dollar! Main reason I wanted to go through a dealer instead of private party was to purchase a used warranty with the transaction, but I guess my 3rd Supra TT will be on hold for now.

So....I go check online and find out that Evo IX were going for absurdly low asking price and these were new. An Evo RS, albeit slightly devoid of regular creature comforts such as power d/l, windows, etc. was asking for ONLY $25.9k (note MSRP is like 29.6k and invoise around 27 or so)! So this past weeked I went by my Mitsu dealer and went about getting one. I must say, after dealing with Lexus and even Toyco for so long, the Mitsu salesman were so absolutely rude and ignorant, especially the so called managers. But after several threats of leaving, i let them make some money by purchasing a lojack for around $350 and we were both happy. So I am the proud new owner of a 06 Evo IX Rally Red RS!

The Evo is a load of fun with its frenetic engine and awd layout. The only thing is that unless you are getting the top of the line $35k MR, the ride is very harsh for daily driving duties. But it doesn't matter to me as this will be a hobby/track car for me. I've been blasting along with it this past weekend and has brought a grin to my face each time (albeit everyone and their grandmothers wants to race me now). Only thing that is somewhat nagging to me is that it has a tendency to understeer at the limits in stock configuration. This won't matter as the mods will be coming next week!
Old 07-18-06, 06:32 AM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Congrats on the new car.