Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Royal Toyota: Automaker Delivers $500K Limo for Imperial Family

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-06, 04:04 AM
Overclocker
G35x - RWD/AWD goodness

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Royal Toyota: Automaker Delivers $500K Limo for Imperial Family

The V12 Century Royal is the latest treat for the Japanese imperial family.

The Century Royal from Toyota.

Date posted: 07-12-2006

TOKYO — The British royal family might drive around in Rolls-Royces and Jaguars. But in Japan, the country's number-one family cruises in Toyotas and Nissans. And it's not the odd Lexus with a long wheelbase and tinted windows.

On July 7, Toyota delivered the emperor's new car, a Century Royal, to the Imperial Household Agency at the palace in central Tokyo. Costing upwards of $460,000, the specially built limo is 20 feet long, 6.5 feet wide and seats eight. Fitted with Japan's — and Toyota's — only 5.0 liter V12 engine, the one-off vehicle replaces the Prince Royal limo, specially built and supplied by Nissan more than three decades ago.

Rumored to produce more than 350 horsepower, the Century Royal's V12 benefits from the latest fuel-efficient, cleaner-emissions technology. It is also said to be considerably lighter than the outgoing Nissan Prince Royal, but still employs state-of-the-art high-tech security measures, bulletproofing and run-flat tires. It also incorporates environmentally friendly materials inside including a shoji screen-like paper ceiling, a polished granite side step for easy entry and large rear windows so the public can catch longer glimpses of the imperial couple.

The agency currently owns five vehicles and plans to gradually replace the older cars and reduce the size of the fleet to four.

Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko will take their first ride in the new limo when they attend a memorial service for war veterans on August 15, the anniversary of the end of World War II.

For those who noticed the number plate, that's right, this car is the only road-going limo in Japan that does not require a number plate. Instead, the extra-special limo is adorned with a gold-plated chrysanthemum badge, which just happens to be the official crest of the imperial family.

What this means to you: It's good to be king no matter where you go.

Source: http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...cleId=116077#2
Old 07-12-06, 04:12 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I like that car's styling. ...the squared-off body lines and headlights look NICE. I get tired of looking at the same old stuff nowadays, day after day.............humpback-shaped roofs, triangular up-sweep headlights, jet-fighter windshields, wrap-around taillights, wedge-shape front ends, etc...... That old stuff is getting stale...it puts me to sleep.

A nice, squared-off car like this wakes me UP.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-12-06 at 04:16 AM.
Old 07-12-06, 05:02 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Front fascia aside, the car is an exact Phantom carbon copy. Oh and the wheels are ugly. And there aren't even headrests for the front seats!

But then, I am no emperor.
Old 07-12-06, 06:41 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
Front fascia aside, the car is an exact Phantom carbon copy. Oh and the wheels are ugly. And there aren't even headrests for the front seats!
I doubt that the Emperor will be riding up front anyway. He and his wife will probably be in the rear seat getting chauffered. They probably won't even have to open and close the doors....a doorman will do that for them.
And while the article does not specifically say this, I'd bet the monthly rent that it's got armor plating under the skin and bulletproof glass..
Old 07-12-06, 06:47 AM
CHIS350
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think that is what you call a Makimono Maybach
Old 07-12-06, 07:16 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 295 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I like that car's styling. ...the squared-off body lines and headlights look NICE. I get tired of looking at the same old stuff nowadays, day after day.............humpback-shaped roofs, triangular up-sweep headlights, jet-fighter windshields, wrap-around taillights, wedge-shape front ends, etc...... That old stuff is getting stale...it puts me to sleep.

A nice, squared-off car like this wakes me UP.
So I guess you love the Grand Marquis's, Chevy Caprice's styling eh? Man you must be over 100 years old already!

Squared off styling? That is not a style!!! That is called a box! You can get those today too - the repulsively ugly Scion XB, the Honda Element etc. All squared and upright right there! More power to you my friend.

Just bugging you Mmarshall . Styling is subjective ofcourse and it is perfectly fine to like the squared and boxy styles.
Old 07-12-06, 07:28 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts

That design won't work outside of Japan/Asia if they want to eventually make an ultimate Lexus above the LS based on the Century. I agree with Hameed regarding the styling of the car, it's ugly

There has been rumour of a new Century a while ago in other forum by a supposed insider, I hope it will look MUCH better than this . . .
Old 07-12-06, 07:36 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Toyota's "Century Royal" is pictured at the Imperial Palace on Friday. (pool photo)

Emperor changes official car to Toyota 'Century Royal'

The Imperial Household Agency on Friday unveiled to the press the new Toyota "Century Royal" that Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko will use for their official duties.

Officials said that the Imperial Couple will begin using the limousine as early as Aug. 15, when they will attend a memorial ceremony for the war dead in Tokyo.

The Century Royal has replaced the "Nissan Prince Royal," which has been used for more than 30 years.

The Imperial Household Agency plans to purchase four Century Royals in total.

The 5,000-cc Century Royal is designed for eight people and costs 52.5 million yen.

It is fuel-efficient and uses environment friendly materials. Its ceiling is covered with Japanese-style paper.

The agency will gradually stop using the current Nissan Prince Royal but plans to keep them on the agency's premises. (Mainichi)

SOURCE : mdn.mainichi-msn.co.jp
July 7, 2006
Old 07-12-06, 07:40 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Default Short Video Clip . . .

Japanese Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko decided to replace their 30 year old "Nissan Prince Royal," with a new ride: a customized Toyota eight-seater limousine with a 5.0 V12 engine, that costs a mere 52.5 million yen (455.000 USD).

Inside, the Century Royal features granite stone in the steps, wool fabric for its seats and Japanese hand-crafted paper for the lighting systems on the ceiling. Officials report that the Imperial Couple will begin using their limousine in Aug. 15, when they will attend a memorial ceremony for the war dead in Tokyo.

The Century Royal, Toyota's most luxurious model, is produced in limited numbers mainly for corporate executives and government leaders, and there are no plans to sell the special imperial version to the public.
For video clip, click HERE
Old 07-12-06, 07:49 AM
JZA80MHU38
Lead Lap

Looks way better than the Phantom IMO. The Century looks elegant, while the Phantom has a "LOOK AT ME I AM RICH BI-A-TCH" design theme. Maybe that's why the Century won't make it in the US market.
Old 07-12-06, 08:11 AM
Trexus

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Looks great it's reminiscent of the Rolls Royce Phantom. If I had the money or if I was an emperor I'd rock it.

This car has the only V12 engine Toyota produces...

Last edited by Trexus; 07-12-06 at 12:50 PM.
Old 07-12-06, 09:27 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hameed
So I guess you love the Grand Marquis's, Chevy Caprice's styling eh? Man you must be over 100 years old already!

Just bugging you Mmarshall . Styling is subjective ofcourse and it is perfectly fine to like the squared and boxy styles.

I AM older than many ( not all ) of you...and I admit it.
The last-generation Caprice ( 1991-1996 ) was anything BUT boxy. They didn't call it the " whale-tail " for nothing. Now...the Grand Marquis...yes, I like the styling, but I would not own the car because of its poor winter traction and ridiculously overboosted power steering....apparantly designed for old people with arthritic arms and hands.

I just made the comments I did about many of today's cars because it seems the same jet-fighter styling is getting more and more entrenched, and IMO it is getting stale. This car for the Emperor breaks that mold...for what in my opinion is a refreshing change.

The xB? I agree with you...that is ridiculous. It is TOO extreme in the boxiness department. With my big size 15's, it looks like the box my shoes came in.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-12-06 at 09:34 AM.
Old 10-01-06, 11:49 PM
vader11
Rookie

There's another video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMbM9...elated&search=
Length: 6155mm
Width: 2050mm
Height: 1780mm
Weight: 2920kg
Seats: 8
Cost: 52500000 Yen

The Emperor's old car--->Nissan Prince Royal: http://homepage2.nifty.com/backyard1...nomiya04_l.jpg
Toyota Century: http://homepage2.nifty.com/backyard1...ouheika1_l.jpg

Last edited by vader11; 10-01-06 at 11:55 PM.
Old 10-01-06, 11:55 PM
mavericck
Lexus Test Driver

Looks cool, is it armored?
Old 10-01-06, 11:55 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

The most expensive mini van. Beat that rolls-royce!

Quick Reply: Royal Toyota: Automaker Delivers $500K Limo for Imperial Family