Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What car to get in the mid $20k price range??

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-06, 01:51 PM
BUSTN
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Honestly, I am looking to upgrade from my 2000 gs400.I do not mind a used car.I am thinking hard about a used ls430 or a m5.I like the vette but it doesnt really have the class of a ls or m5.I am looking for some input.Thansk guys, keep em coming!!
Old 07-15-06, 01:53 PM
rosskoss
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you don't want speed, why look at a M5?

Either way, new car mid 20s, just get a V6 Camry XLE/SE.
Old 07-15-06, 01:54 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
Plus the fact that he mentioned wanting an LS430 or an M5 under $30k kinda hints its okay to look for used cars

1999 Lexus GS400
-Stock

MUAHAH
Yes. Thanks.....sorry, I did not notice that. My fault.

OK, then new or used, my advice on Subarus still stands, except to stay away from pre-2003 2.5 engines...they had a lot of head gasket problems. A new WRX would be a lot of fun...and useful as well, especially in the Sportwagon configuration.

25K will buy a lot of of good,used, reasonably fun cars. The Lexus IS300 is an outstandingly reliable car, and while not exactly a dragster, will get out of its own way with power to spare and handling that will compete with the BMW 3-series, but with not quite the BMW's excellent steering feel. The Toyota Solara convertible gives Camry quality, V6 performance, and drop-top fun...but with some cowl shake. A several-year-old Lexus GS in good shape, would also make an excellent used car. The LS430 is superlative quality but might be a little too conservative for your tastes ( ? ). and to get a 25K one would be clearly an older one with a lot of miles.
A used Infiniti G35 would also a great car if you don't mind an interior and paint job that is a little cheaper-looking than most Lexus products....AWD G35X models are also available for lousy weather. Even though you live in FL where you generally don't get snow and ice, AWD still helps a lot in the rain.
I also agree with videcormeum that the V6 Hyundai Sonata, for 25K, is an excellent value as a new car. That money buys not only a well-made product but a 10-year drivetrain and 5-year total-vehicle warranty as well.

You may be tempted by some of the so-called " driver's-car " feel of German-designed cars. That's fine if you like a precise driving, steering, and chassis feel, but I can't really recommend a lot of them because of reliability problems, especially in the area of electronics and wiring. And some of them have very confusing joy-stick controls like BMW's I-Drive and Audi's MMI. Voice-activation helps on some of them, but that is one of the unreliable electronic features on them.
Some of the dealerships that sell them don't impress me either....they can be snooty, aristocratic, and arrogant, with very high service and repair prices.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-15-06 at 02:09 PM.
Old 07-15-06, 03:50 PM
jrock65
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by videcormeum
There's no better value in the midsize V6 sedan segment than the Hyundai Sonata. You might sacrifice a little on features/optional equipment, but the list of standard equipment is impressive, and you get a 10 yr/100k powertrain warranty (5 yr/60k bumper to bumper) - which is great coverage.

The LX V6 sells around $23,000. Depending on the dealer sometimes you can even get the "Ultimate package" - w/ sunroof and upgraded audio - for under $24,000.

A great deal.

M.
You could easily get a Sonata LX V6 for $20,000 with no haggling. If you haggle a bit, you could get one for $19,000.
Old 07-15-06, 05:16 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jrock65
You could easily get a Sonata LX V6 for $20,000 with no haggling. If you haggle a bit, you could get one for $19,000.
Have you actually seen one go for 19K? In my area ( Northern VA near DC ) Hyundai dealers will bargain some but not give them away. One problem is that Hyundai dealers are not exactly on every block like Ford, Chevy, and Toyota dealers. To go to another Hyundai shop you may have to travel 20-40 miles. So the average Hyundai shop, while willing to bargain some, generally doesn't have to concern itself with another Hyundai shop right down the street undercutting them like some other brands do. This may change if Hyundai dealers become more widespread as demand goes up.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-15-06 at 05:21 PM.
Old 07-15-06, 05:21 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by BUSTN
I am looking for a new vehicle.I do not mind used but quality does come first.Guys, help me out here.I am just lost right now.I like the ls430 and trying to find a m5 under 30k is hard.What do you guys think?I am really not into all the speed buts its nice.My last resort might be a corvette or sc300???????
U are not going to find a reliable M5 in the 20s. People are DUMPING them b/c they are having a carbon buildup issue that is requiring either a new engine or a major rebuild.
Trust me, I was looking at M5s and been reading on them like mad (on their forum as well).

Some people don't have an issue but many do have this issue. Sometimes BMW goes 1/2 on a $10,000 bill sometimes they pay for it, sometimes they stick you with the whole bill.

Many people that drive the snot outta their M5s think the people that baby them and don't drive them like they should and garage them are the issue, b/c the carbon just builds up. Someone had the suggestion of dumping the clutch at like 5k RPM and watch all that black stuff come out the engine!

I suggest a new model Q45 or the last M45. I had a thread on it. We are talking about NEW cars with all the new Tech going for low 20s, 2-3 years old b/c Infiniti resale is still for the most part horrific.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...&highlight=q45

Old 07-15-06, 05:31 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I suggest a new model Q45 or the last M45. I had a thread on it. We are talking about NEW cars with all the new Tech going for low 20s, 2-3 years old b/c Infiniti resale is still for the most part horrific.

[
Mike, you may have come up with a good suggestion. A late-model Q for only 25K is actually not a bad idea. I agree it is worth considering if he can find one. Considering that I have actually seen brand-new ones go in some cases for only 40K because of low demand ( this on a car that stickers for well over 50K...I actually had a salesman offer me one for 40 )......25K would probably buy one that is maybe 2-3 years old, as you suggest. This is one whale of a luxury car that, because of extremely low demand, has depreciation and resale value in the tank. Infiniti may drop that car soon in the U.S. market, but parts should be available for at least several more years to compensate.
Old 07-15-06, 07:58 PM
videcormeum
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
This is one whale of a luxury car that, because of extremely low demand, has depreciation and resale value in the tank. Infiniti may drop that car soon in the U.S. market, but parts should be available for at least several more years to compensate.
He mentioned reliability was a major factor - and the Q's reliability has been above average - even after the 2002 redesign. A solid choice and a good value given the above-described horrendous depreciation.

It's not a sporty sedan aside from the relatively cramped rear seat, so you might want to have a look at one and drive it before you fork over cash. Performance isn't bad, but it's also not phenomenal - about 6.5 in the 0-60 run. That's over a half second slower than the LS430 or GS430. About what you're used to in your current GS400.

Why are you getting out of your GS again? Any M5 you find for under 30k will have already given up the ghost, so I'd quit thinking about it if I were you.

M.

Last edited by videcormeum; 07-15-06 at 08:01 PM.
Old 07-15-06, 08:35 PM
LexFather

Mike, you may have come up with a good suggestion. A late-model Q for only 25K is actually not a bad idea. I agree it is worth considering if he can find one. Considering that I have actually seen brand-new ones go in some cases for only 40K because of low demand ( this on a car that stickers for well over 50K...I actually had a salesman offer me one for 40 )......25K would probably buy one that is maybe 2-3 years old, as you suggest. This is one whale of a luxury car that, because of extremely low demand, has depreciation and resale value in the tank. Infiniti may drop that car soon in the U.S. market, but parts should be available for at least several more years to compensate.
Yes sir.

See, I am not a Nissan hater gang

Old 07-15-06, 11:11 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Any reason why u want to get rid of the GS400?...........IMO there aint too many cars that you can get in the mid 20s that i would cosider a significant upgrade over the GS, unless your looking for more of a sports car.

If u enjoy driving your car hard then forget about the LS, its like operating a boat.
Q45 and last gen M45 are hardly an upgrade over a GS in terms of performance, they do have more techno features.
Old 07-16-06, 01:36 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BUSTN
Honestly, I am looking to upgrade from my 2000 gs400.
If you're UPGRADING from a GS400 then you're probably only left with a few choices.... like the GS430 or the LS430. Cars like WRX, you're getting more performance and fun, but everything else wouldn't be an "upgrade".

something better than a GS400 that's priced at 20ks "new" is virtually impossible, unless you only want performance. Doesn't seem that way though.
Old 07-16-06, 06:00 PM
jrock65
Lexus Test Driver

Have you actually seen one go for 19K? In my area ( Northern VA near DC ) Hyundai dealers will bargain some but not give them away.
Yep, you could get a 2006 Sonata LX V6 for $19,000 from Fitzmall in Maryland, with no haggling. But the 2007's are coming out now, and the huge discounts aren't there anymore (at least for now). BTW, the top of the line 2007 Sonata is no longer called the "LX". Now it is the "Limited".
Old 07-16-06, 06:43 PM
BUSTN
Instructor

I am thinking, 01+ ls430.I would really want an ultra,though.I might have to get rid of my 06' gsxr1000 for an ultra?I am undecided.I have a buddy trying to get the funds for my gs.I like the porsche 996 in th emid to high 20's and believe it or not a sc400 around 95-96??I would save sooooooo much money buying a 95 sc400,