Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Big heat wave next week...keep your car ready

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-06, 07:13 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Great post, mmarshall! With the Dog Days of Summer seeming to come about a month early this year, that's good advice.

Never, EVER remove a radiator cap on an overheated engine. Climbing up to Arrowhead from Sandy Eggo pulling a light trailer behind my Mustang, the marginal cooling system couldn't handle the stress and my buddy and I and our ladies pulled over in a turnout to let things cool down. About 30 seconds after we exited the car, a carload of people in a steaming old Chevy pulled up right next to us and the panicked driver got out, jerked the hood open – and obviously not knowing anything about mechanical devices of any kind – dove for the radiator cap.

My buddy and I screamed "NOOOOOO!!!!" while stuffing the ladies backward into the car and slamming the doors, just as Vesuvius erupted. This idiot, seeing steam blowing out of the overflow pipe, and leaking under the radiator cap decided to twist it off with his bare hand for a look inside. There followed a geyser of superheated rusty brown fluid that ricocheted off his open hood – at least the part that missed his face – and showered everyone within 20 feet.

The paramedics from Arrowhead arrived shortly, and as they loaded him into the ambulance, one remarked that this was a commonplace injury they treat all the time. First and second degree burns to the face, hands and arms are painful enough, but the reversed imprint of “Harrison” and “Turn Slowly” on your forehead tends to advertise the fact that you are indeed a moron.
Old 07-17-06, 09:25 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

And I thought last week was hot

I hate the fact that I haven't had the change to install an AC in my room yet, where its normally hot and humid. I was planning to do it this week, but I guess I have to put it off until next week or so. No way am I working under the sun. I already sweat a bucket doing nothing.

1999 Lexus GS400
-Stock

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page.
Old 07-17-06, 10:39 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Its 102 in NYC right now. I nevr park my vehicles in the garage on hot days. The garage is like an oven on a hot day, and can kill your battery. I learned that lesson years ago, when my battery died in the garage one summer . Had Lexus roadside assistance give me a boost at the time, and had to get a new battery. Now I keep them in the driveway covered with California Car covers on hot days.
Old 07-17-06, 12:45 PM
MikeFD3S
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's a good time to get that tint installed

The heat hasn't let up over here in Cali. Real strange weather. Last night around 3:00 am there was a lot of weird multi-directional wind, lightning, and some rain that lasted a good 3 minutes.

"Earthquake weather"
Old 07-17-06, 01:28 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeFD3S
Last night around 3:00 am ...and some rain that lasted a good 3 minutes.
So that's what the noise was. I woke up to the sound of thunder

1999 Lexus GS400
-Stock

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page.
Old 07-17-06, 02:10 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's a good time to get that tint installed

The heat hasn't let up over here in Cali. Real strange weather. Last night around 3:00 am there was a lot of weird multi-directional wind, lightning, and some rain that lasted a good 3 minutes.

"Earthquake weather"
So that was thunder. I was still up watching movies and I saw flashes outside the window. I thought it was some thief's flashlights.
Old 07-17-06, 02:33 PM
MikeFD3S
Lead Lap

I went outside to smoke and the wind was very strong and turbulent, constantly changing directions-- trees were kind of circling around instead of getting blown one way. Lots of flashes of lightning in the relatively light cloud cover. Reminded me of War of the Worlds....very eerie, the way it just came and went.

Btw Globe, I think I saw your GS at Pep Boys off of South Street about a month ago hehe
Old 07-17-06, 03:46 PM
BlkGS3
Lexus Champion

I never thought that I would see such a weather broadcast in my life:

L.A. 89
N.Y. 99

LOL
Old 07-17-06, 07:58 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Btw Globe, I think I saw your GS at Pep Boys off of South Street about a month ago hehe
Where else is better to shop for JDM car parts besides PepBoys? lol
Old 07-17-06, 09:54 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Surprisingly enough, today was not all that hot here in San Diego... It was warm, but not any warmer than it has been in the last week or two. I'm going to assume this heat wave isn't really going to make things any warmer in my neck of the woods, just keep things warm for a longer than usual amount of time.
Old 07-17-06, 10:07 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

man it was 110 in OC this past weekend already and it was no fun. sc430 AC was blasting full force just to keep the car cool. i guess we will see how all lexus does next week huh
Old 07-18-06, 03:18 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Ramon
Surprisingly enough, today was not all that hot here in San Diego... It was warm, but not any warmer than it has been in the last week or two. I'm going to assume this heat wave isn't really going to make things any warmer in my neck of the woods, just keep things warm for a longer than usual amount of time.
San Diego sits on the coast and gets a cool sea breeze that helps a lot. Go inland a little ways and it can be like a blast furnace.
Old 07-18-06, 11:13 AM
MikeFD3S
Lead Lap

"Must be nice"

New Yorkers get more heat than Californians

I gotta fix my heater bypass valve / hose on my SC and refill the cold stuff....should have done it in slow season when they dont jack up their prices
Old 07-22-06, 12:20 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Ok, I was wrong... up to 106 by noon today and it's only 12:20 now.
Old 07-22-06, 02:45 PM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Damnit, how am I supposesd to wash all my cars then? I will not give in to an automated car wash. Maybe pay the dealer people a little extra to carefully hand wash my cars.

Quick Reply: Big heat wave next week...keep your car ready