Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

BMW M6 (Cabrio) Gets First Public Showing at British International Motor Show

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-06, 04:06 AM
Overclocker
G35x - RWD/AWD goodness

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default BMW M6 (Cabrio) Gets First Public Showing at British International Motor Show

With all the power of the coupe and the style of a drop top, this M6 makes Jaguar's new XKR look tame.

Date posted: 07-19-2006

LONDON — BMW has unveiled the soft-top version of its M6 supercar at the British International Motor Show. This is the first time BMW's M division has produced a version of the 6 Series convertible, and it's the first time the German manufacturer has chosen to launch a new model in the U.K.

A wind-in-the-hair version of BMW's acclaimed M6 Coupe, the convertible is powered by M-power's 4,999cc V10 engine, developing a not-insignificant 500 horsepower. Even with the added mass of the powered convertible roof, this car is still capable of sprinting from zero to 60 mph in just 4.8 seconds. Top speed is limited to 155 mph but BMW claims that it would top 200 mph were it unrestricted.

A seven-speed sequential manual gearbox is standard, allowing the driver to change gears using steering wheel-mounted paddles. In its optimal setting, the gearbox can shift cogs in just 50 milliseconds. BMW's Variable M Differential is accompanied by DSC stability control.

The triple-layer fabric hood is shared with the rest of the 6 Series convertible range, but the M6 features some unique, mass-saving features. The front wings are made from Thermoplastic, which is lighter than aluminum but flexible enough to withstand minor bumps. The front and rear bumpers are carbon fiber, while the rear trunk lid and soft-top hood cover are made from Sheet Moulding Compound to further reduce mass. The M6 Convertible retains BMW's trademark 50:50 weight distribution.

Bespoke 19-inch alloy wheels are standard and the M styling is enhanced by quad rear tail pipes. Prices will be announced when the car goes on sale this fall.

What this means to you: The new Jaguar XKR drop top is a formidable convertible, but even its supercharged V8 isn't enough for the likes of the BMW M6's screaming V10.

Source: http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...cleId=116165#2
Old 07-19-06, 08:04 AM
Skulinex
Lexus Test Driver

Add convertible or cabrio to the title, when i first read it, i thought, dont we have some already running around here??
Old 07-19-06, 08:06 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It would have been cool to have a carbon-fiber hardtop convertible. That would be orgasmically nice...
Old 07-19-06, 08:31 AM
jdmdaddy
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just don't like the body style
I love the engine in it though I've seen plenty "6" series rolling around my neighborhood and it just doesn't do anything for me.

-Craig
Old 07-19-06, 09:37 AM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
It would have been cool to have a carbon-fiber hardtop convertible. That would be orgasmically nice...

What he said....
Old 07-19-06, 12:36 PM
Overclocker
G35x - RWD/AWD goodness

Originally Posted by Skulinex
Add convertible or cabrio to the title, when i first read it, i thought, dont we have some already running around here??
Done and done.