Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

VW Tiguan SPY PHOTOS: Ready for Launch . . .

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-06, 03:05 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts
Default VW Tiguan SPY PHOTOS: Ready for Launch . . .

Concept A Named
Volkswagen's RAV4 fighter to be called Tiguan

By GREG KABLE
AutoWeek | Published 07/20/06, 9:24 am et

Volkswagen has christened its new compact SUV, as previewed by the Concept A at last February’s Geneva motor show, Tiguan following an internet poll of European automotive magazine readers .

A combination of the words Tiger and Leguan, the Tiguan name was chosen over a list of nomenclatures dreamt up by Volkswagen’s Wolfsburg-based marketing department, including Rockton, Nanuk, Samun and Namib.

Some 350,000 readers were involved in the poll conducted over the internet, according to the German car maker which plans to unveil a second, more production orientated concept of its compact Golf-based SUV at the Los Angeles motor show in December before unveiling a definitive production version at the Frankfurt motor show in September 2007.

Commenting on the poll, Volkswagen boss, Wolfgang Bernhard, said, "This is demonstrative of how Volkswagen is opening up: we made a clear appeal to the market - potential buyers could help choose the name Tiguan. The positive reaction shows that this is the right approach."
http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dl...5/TOC01ARCHIVE
Old 07-28-06, 07:43 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts

Volkswagen's oddly named Tiguan (hey, the people have spoken), has broken cover on the current issue of Germany's Auto Bild magazine. Although clearly a computer-generated interpretation of VW's cute 'ute, the cover shot gives a more realistic rendering of what is to be Volkswagen's answer to the RAV4 and CR-V. Worthy items of note include the high and tidy belt-line, minimalist C-pillar and pseudo-spoiler, ala Touareg/Cayenne.

As a reminder, the Tiguan will be based off the current Golf platform and make it's debut at the Los Angeles auto show this coming November. Production is slated to begin in 2008.
sources : autobild, autoblog
Old 07-28-06, 07:49 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

I love a lot of the VW designs and the vehicles are a joy to mod (VR6, VW Beetle with my uncle).

However, one thing that bothers me is that they will have a lot of new engine designs and I hope the quality is better than in previous years.
Old 07-28-06, 10:52 AM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i'm really liking the front ends of new VWs....

the back end is still questionable and blah-ish, (the jetta and passat, namely) but the front ends are quite nice.

this SUV looks quite good..

only if VW can ramp up their reliability.....
Old 07-30-06, 10:55 PM
Trexus

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Not really feeling it. I would still prefer the RAV4 with the V6...
Old 07-30-06, 11:52 PM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tiguan......am I missing something? That's even dumber than Toureg. I have a BA from a pretty good school and I don't even know how to pronounce it?

Man, VW really needs to get some new marketing people. Sure, people voted for it, but the list
of other names sound like names from a Scientologist's baby name handbook.

Rockton, Nanuk, Samun and Namib? WTF?
Old 07-31-06, 04:20 PM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bruce van
Tiguan......am I missing something? That's even dumber than Toureg. I have a BA from a pretty good school and I don't even know how to pronounce it?
VW seems to like applying unpronouncable names to their vehicles for some reason... Even a name as simple as "Eos" gets butchered. I'm surprised they don't have a pronunciaton for "GTI" yet.

Originally Posted by Lexmex
However, one thing that bothers me is that they will have a lot of new engine designs and I hope the quality is better than in previous years.
VW's are huge down there, especially since a lot of them are built there in Mexico. I too hope that the quality sees a major improvement over the previous generation.
Old 08-01-06, 04:00 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

The very first photos of the Volkswagen Tiguan were snapped by spy photographers this week. The car appears to be further along in the development process than one might expect. Codenamed VW416, the Tiguan is riding on a PL/PQ48 platform – a combination of the Golf/Rabbit and Passat platforms – one which will eventually be shared with Audi’s A4, A5 and Q5. In mid July, Volkswagen released the first official sketch of the Tiguan, which will arrive as a 2008 or 2009 model. Production will begin in Wolfsburg at the end of 2007, at the soonest
http://www.leftlanenews.com/2006/08/...swagen-tiguan/
Old 08-01-06, 05:44 PM
LexFather

WHo on earth is naming these cars????

Well I hope they got hte newsletter that no one in America wants Japanese looking, expensive, unreliable German people's cars. I hope the price is right.

Old 10-17-06, 06:48 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts
Default SPY PHOTOS: VW Tiguan

The photos are showing the prototype and two computer images of how the new model is expected to look like upon its release :

by Hans G. Lehmann
Copyright by Lehmann Photo-Syndication
10-17-2006

New SUV Ready for Launch

Volkswagen is about to release the new 4x4 model Tiguan at the upcoming Los Angeles Motor Show in December this year. Here are more photos showing a prototype of VW’s new compact SUV during hot weather testing in the Californian desert. Although still disguised, the shape and styling of the new model – previously dubbed “Marrakesh” - is clearly similar to VW’s bigger off-roader, the Touareg.

The new Tiguan sits on a platform derived from the current Golf, however with a heavy duty suspension, higher ground clearance and VW’s 4MOTION four-wheel-drive system. The dashboard includes an LCD screen controlling satellite navigation and stereo. The Tiguan is a five passenger car and set to rival the likes of Toyota’s RAV 4, Honda’s CR-V , LandRover Freelander and BMW X3. Power comes from a choice of fuel and Diesel engines, starting with a 1.4 litre TSI 150hp fuel engine, probably another 2.0 litre delivering 170 to 200hp, and two 140 and 170hp 2.0 litre Diesels.
source : worldcarfans
Old 10-17-06, 12:32 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wheels are kinda small compared to the rest of the car...

so its a baby toureg... i dont think ill even think about getting one with the way it looks

RAV4 V6 FTW
Old 10-17-06, 11:02 PM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

Land Rover Freelander? They're so certain this vehicle is destined to fail, they have to make it rival an out-of-production SUV just to have someone to beat in sales?
Old 10-18-06, 12:37 AM
mavericck
Lexus Test Driver

Should make a good RAV4 and CR-V rival I think.
Old 10-18-06, 12:56 AM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mavericck
Should make a good RAV4 and CR-V rival I think.
i bet VW would price this above the comparable RAV4 and CR-V trims though

VW always prices higher than its direct competitors thinking that its brand name is more prestigeous
im sorry but its because of the price and the lack of reliability from the whole brand that i did NOT buy a VW and got an used 2GS instead of a passat

ps sideview reminded me of CR-V
while rear quarter panel trim line and such reminded me of X3 to some degree
Old 10-18-06, 09:29 AM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Incendiary
Land Rover Freelander? They're so certain this vehicle is destined to fail, they have to make it rival an out-of-production SUV just to have someone to beat in sales?
Freelander-talk about watering down your mighty suv

That concept drawing looks good though. Too bad the production doesn't look as good.

Anyways, Antigua anyone? Tiguan?????????????????

http://www.antigua-barbuda.org

Quick Reply: VW Tiguan SPY PHOTOS: Ready for Launch . . .