Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Barabus TKR takes over as world's fastest car - zero to 60 mph in 1.67 seconds

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-06, 03:02 PM
AJ
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need to see more of this
Old 07-21-06, 03:19 PM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Bugatti is still a better looking car. Sure it costs twice as much, but people who have $500K
to spend on a car have $1.1K to spend on a car.

The front wheel arches are WAY too big. Besides, you don't even get any rear view mirrors on this TKR.
Old 07-21-06, 03:27 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bruce van
The Bugatti is still a better looking car. Sure it costs twice as much, but people who have $500K
to spend on a car have $1.1K to spend on a car.

The front wheel arches are WAY too big. Besides, you don't even get any rear view mirrors on this TKR.
While I don't think the Bugatti is necessarily "good looking", it certainly looks very unique and unlike anything else on the road.

As for the rear view mirrors, here's a quote from Barabus in the interior page:
The Barabus has a unique interior feature: the rear view "mirror". There is a small video camera mounted in the rear of the car, with the display is shown normally where the rear mirror is situated.
So there you have it.
Old 07-21-06, 04:46 PM
southernsc
Lexus Champion

I call shenanigans. The engine looks like it was pieced together. For 500k that engine better not have a single piece of rubber showing.
Old 07-21-06, 11:41 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by southernsc
I call shenanigans. The engine looks like it was pieced together. For 500k that engine better not have a single piece of rubber showing.
most exotic cars have built quality worse than your average Yugo, nothing new here really.
if you expect lexus quality build you will be suprised...
Old 07-22-06, 03:01 AM
Inabj2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by spwolf
most exotic cars have built quality worse than your average Yugo, nothing new here really.

No thats bullcrap! (I dont doubt what your saying at all..) But to expect subpar build quality after spending half a million dollars is pure bull crap!

Whats the point of spending half a million bucks if I can build a faster replica kit car with comparable quality for 1/10th the price? Worst scam ever?
Old 07-22-06, 07:18 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

why does it seem like I'm looking at an old turboed V8? How long has it been since you've seen a regular distributor cap and spark plugs wires?
Old 07-22-06, 11:19 AM
southernsc
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by spwolf
Hennessey Viper

Buggati Veryon

Ferrari Enzo

Lambo Murcielago

I fail to see any poor quality put into these engines. For 500k there should be ATLEAST no blue rubber hoseing held on by metal straps.
Old 07-22-06, 12:00 PM
Inabj2
Lexus Champion

Thank you! That Barabus is a pile of crap! worst scam ever!
Old 07-22-06, 12:32 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Cut them some slack guys. Just where else can you get a car that does 0-60 in under 2 seconds AND achieve a top speed of 270mph? Barabus is offering a street legal car that beats the million-dollar Veyron and the CCX off their pants for HALF THE PRICE. Something's gotta give. Not saying it wouldn't be nice if they upped the quality quotient but for the price it's hard not to consider this car a serious bargain.

Just look at the Z06. It has an interior that looks like an absolute hunk of crap. But who cares, when GM is only asking for 1/3 to 1/2 the price of its closest competitors?
Old 07-22-06, 01:11 PM
Inabj2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
Cut them some slack guys. Just where else can you get a car that does 0-60 in under 2 seconds AND achieve a top speed of 270mph? Barabus is offering a street legal car that beats the million-dollar Veyron and the CCX off their pants for HALF THE PRICE. Something's gotta give. Not saying it wouldn't be nice if they upped the quality quotient but for the price it's hard not to consider this car a serious bargain.

Just look at the Z06. It has an interior that looks like an absolute hunk of crap. But who cares, when GM is only asking for 1/3 to 1/2 the price of its closest competitors?
The Z06 has an interior that looks like its made out of pearls compared to this.

Have those specs been proven? No, how do I know it ACTUALLY goes 270 mph? Has anyone taken it that fast?

If it has shoddy quality, and no proven stats, that to me tells me those stats are exagerated boasts at best.

Maybe they mean they have a speedo that reads to 270 mph!

The thing that bothers me when I see that engine bay, its something id expect to find at your local drag strip, that some guy pieced together himself.

With half a million bucks I can take a 11 year old SC300 (or almost any other car.), and beat the pants out of this car, would my SC300 be a bargain then? I just hope this car is some sort of test mule and in no way shape or form reflects the final product.
Old 07-22-06, 01:31 PM
taejin09
Lead Lap

I agree. For half a million, i'd rather take some quality car. However, if I had half a million to spend, I'd prob already have all the cars I wanted before looking at this car.
Old 07-22-06, 02:29 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

im still not convinced that they can pull that 0-60 time. ESPECIALLY if they'r running 2WD.

i bet you they did it using racing slicks....if they did it that is.
Old 07-22-06, 08:04 PM
scdisciple
Driver School Candidate

Vette

Is that RUSTED METAL I see under each housing?
Old 07-22-06, 09:21 PM
2jzgte
Lead Lap

This is a kit car and as such an Ultima GTR or Saleen S7TT would rape it's face if tuned for 1000 horsepower, and it is no secret either car can easily be equipped with small block Chevy's, Dodge V10's or Mercedes v12's that easily meet that mark. This is just advertsing hype. It's a hodgepodge of other people's cars. This really is just another kit car. Functional? Maybe. But for the same price a custom Ultima or Saleen could be commisioned that would be faster.