Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2007 Phaeton facelift (Why even bother?)

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-06, 09:32 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

...mmarshall

Simple. Two things that I have mentioned and complained about over and over again here on CAR CHAT......image and stereotypes. They can.......and sometimes do.....ruin perfectly good cars.

In the American public's mind, VW is not SUPPOSED to build luxury cars or expensive sport sedans.....so the public has simply turned its nose up at this superb car and just ignored the fact that it is a whale of a bargain compared to its BMW and Mercedes competition

VW's IMAGE won't let them sell something like this here....so the public is just losing out.

Originally Posted by CVsGX470
It doesn't sell in the US because if you are going to spend that much money on a ride, why would you buy a VW. I would put it in one of the other German automakers.

CV

You JUST proved EXACTLY what I said in my earlier post.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-25-06 at 09:36 AM.
Old 07-25-06, 10:45 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Simple. Two things that I have mentioned and complained about over and over again here on CAR CHAT......image and stereotypes. They can.......and sometimes do.....ruin perfectly good cars.

In the American public's mind, VW is not SUPPOSED to build luxury cars or expensive sport sedans.....so the public has simply turned its nose up at this superb car and just ignored the fact that it is a whale of a bargain compared to its BMW and Mercedes competition ( though, admittedly, it is more money than I would put into a new car ) . The 12-cylinder version, especially, is a bargain......while $90,000 is far from cheap, it is chump change compared to the $120,000-$150,000 that fully loaded BMW 760iL's and Mercedes S600 V-12's run. Yes, you have the questionable VW electronics and unreliability, but to an extent you have that nowadays with almost ANY German-designed car, bargain or not.

But no......VW's IMAGE won't let them sell something like this here....so the public is just losing out. Fortunately the similiar, all-aluminum Audi A8 and S8 will carry on here in its place....but the A8, of course, costs more, and is not as much of a pure luxury car...it is more of a sports sedan.
it is not only in US, even in Germany, Phaeton sells poorly when compared to its german rivals...
It is simply an car that nobody has asked for...
Old 07-25-06, 11:05 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 163 Likes on 139 Posts

When you price a VW that high, you are asking for trouble.

I wished they had brought it under the SEAT name at a lower price, that exists in Mexico and more commonly in Europe as way of introducing the brand to the U.S.